Preventing Super Medic -itis ... ?

You'll be right. Never think you know it all, always listen to what people say...

Timmy if you dont mind my elaborating on this a bit... when you listen to someone who is teaching you something you already know, NEVER say you already know how to do it. Even if you really do know... it comes off as cocky and arrogant. Ive learned it the hard way. Just listen to them teach it over again... there may be more than one way of doing things (better, easier, etc), or you may just learn something you didnt the first time.

By the way best of luck with class and paramedic life. I think the fact that you asked this is a good sign that youll be compasionate and considerate of others.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say forget what anyone thinks of you. If you can talk the talk and walk the walk do it. If people are intimidated because you know your profession and are great at it tuff. I know I'm good and I'm proud of it. I do not treat people that do their job badly. Those that choose to be lazy I have no problems ignoring. Those that do their best we get along just fine.

Oh and believe it or not I am well liked at work. The ones people hate being around are the ones that talk the talk but can not walk the walk.

Good advice has been presented. However, with all that being said, just remember that you will not please all the people all the time.

There will always be people that, no matter what you do or say, will always regard you as a "para-god". Nothing can or will change this. You could be the nicest person in the world and they will still try to be down on you in this manner.

You must learn to ignore it. You must learn that the people who treat you this way are either jealous of your level/position, so completely ignorant of what's going on that they feel the need to lash out or they're so insecure in their own position that they feel name calling is the only way to take the focus off of them.

It sounds like you're on your way to avoiding the whole mess. Keep in mind the advice of many of the above and you'll be fine. Just do not be surprised when, no matter how hard you try to avoid it, some bonehead calls you that. Remember, chances are pretty good they have no idea what they're talking about.

-be safe

I totally agree

I have seen EMT's with that paragod attitude..

Crotchity--

Who said multiple people at Mike's work are calling him a paragod? Methinks you are reading something into a post that isn't there. And what I prefer to do is get to know someone myself before I judge them. I refuse to go with what people say... because different people have different agendas. Once I've interacted with them and worked with them a couple times, THEN I will determine what I really think of them.

What Mike is saying is that no matter how much you sugar coat something or try to make nice with the person who has an issue with you, there will always be asshats with their heads up their bums who are CONVINCED that no matter what you do, you are a paragod or a know-it-all. And sometimes, asserting your knowledge for the benefit of the patient or indicating that something needs to happen ASAP for that patient's welfare will come across as short, arrogant, or otherwise unpleasant.

Intelligent adults realize that these situations occur and deal with it accordingly instead of walking around calling someone names. They address the problem directly, or they suck it up and do what they have to do to get the shift done. Sometimes, with partners that suck, that's all you can do- suck it up and then bring it up with management.

YOU pulled out of YOUR butt that "Mike must be a paragod" which is why I called you an idiot. I apologize- calling you an idiot was unprofessional. However, I am one to call it like I see it. Your approach to certain posts has made me much more reactive to what you post... so it spilled over into the public realm. I do apologize. I'm short on sleep, patience, and well-being at the moment.

But I would invite you to re-examine Mike's post and then your own and see if you can't see the non-sequitir.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

What made me think he might be a paragod is that he used the plural "people" instead of "person", which meant more than one person to me, which may not be what he intended. Like all of us in this forum, I can only go by my life experience, which may be totally different from the way things are presently or in the past in your region.

My experience is that those who act like paragods (negatively) are actually not good medics. The qualities I see that makes someone a negative paragod (your definition may differ), is someone who acts superior to his coworkers, especially EMTs, someone who cant admit when they are wrong -- or refuse to realize that their way is not the only way. They have an aire about them that says "my s**t dont stink. They may be book smart, but can rarely apply that knowledge in a critical situation. No one at the service likes this person, OR LIKES TO WORK WITH THEM, and most will label them a paragod in the negative way.

Positive Paragods, are very intellectual, knowlegeable, and can run a critical call without yelling and screaming at everyone (they usually become flight medics). They are always willing to teach, and do so in a manner that is positive, without belittling the people they are instructing. They have a positive attitude and are fun to work with. EVERYONE at your service wants to work with this person. Can their be people who are jealous of this, and try to talk negative about this person ? Sure, but guess what, it doesnt stick cause the vast majority love this medic.

So my point is, if the vast majority of people at your workplace are calling you paragod, and you cant seem to keep a partner, you probably need to work on your people skills, as you are the bad paragod.

IF everyone is fighting to work with you, and are frequently asking you to review their calls, or asking you what you would have done on that call, you are the good kind of paragod.

The bad thing is that people who are negative paragods, cant see their faults, and assume everyone is jealous of them. Just like the person with bad body odor, cant smell how bad they stink. There are many negative paragods walking this earth who think it is all of their "stupid" coworkers who have the problem.

Man, you had it going ok till you started saying "positive paragod" and "negative paragod." The term paragod ITSELF implies negativity.

A good PARAMEDIC is one that people like to work with and one who advocates for and ensures the best patient care possible. That person isn't a paragod. A paragod is someone who thinks they are superior simply by virtue of having their medic cert, and who acts accordingly...

As for the "people" vs "person" argument, that is absolutely the dumbest thing I've ever seen someone base an evaluation of someone's character on. As a matter of fact, Mike first began by saying a common phrase- "You can't please all of the people all of the time." So, logically, in keeping with the tone of that phrase, it makes perfect sense to follow with "There will always be people that, no matter what you do or say, will always regard you as a para-god."

One could also read it as multiple people OVER THE COURSE OF A CAREER deciding you're a paragod when they really just can't hack medicine or having someone intelligent around them.

And if your life experience involves automatically jumping to the conclusion that everyone at someone's work thinks they're a paragod because they indicated that some people will never get their heads outta their butts where interpersonal relations are concerned, it makes me wonder a bit.

Sorry. A medic is superior to an EMT where patient care is concerned. An EMT should not be arguing with the medic unless it's a matter of the patient's life and long term well-being. An EMT should, if they're seeing something, bring it up with the medic ("hey... did you get the hx from the FD? He's allergic to peanuts... we good on that Atrovent?") but they shouldn't be quibbling over stupid stuff, which is what I've seen happen. When the paramedic is thinking about 6 different things and the EMT is bitching about whether they really need to disrobe a patient, the paramedic is going to get a little snippy. You may be the smartest EMT in the world... but if you aren't facilitating your partner's ability to provide ALS care, you're in the way.

I think a lot of "paragod" crap comes from snubbed EMT's who don't understand why THEIR point wasn't important or why the medic had to be assertive to get things done.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I promise that this is not an insult eyedawn, you and I are just in two totally different worlds. Maybe it is because of age or geography, but i have never experienced any of the things you listed, so I can see why we dont understand each other. Maybe EMS changed since I left. Anyway, I can not argue with your logic since I have not walked in your shoes.

Oh, two different worlds is no joke- no insult felt or offense taken. That's become increasingly clear. I don't think it's an age or geography thing. How long ago did you leave, just out of curiosity?

I haven't walked in your shoes either... but I have no problem arguing with anyone's logic, regardless of sole-swapping, because logic is just that- not based on subjectivity. Walking in shoes = experiencing personal subjectivity. Argue the logic, or concede to it- no hikes necessary.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I disagree with the reality statement. If you had only been in EMS for 6 months and only worked with one "horrible" female partner, you could make the honest statement that every female that I have worked with in EMS was horrible. Which would be true, and your reality. If I read that statement, knowing that I have worked with many great females, over 20 years, I would take great offense to that statement.

In any arguement, both sides are fairly sure they are right, and have their facts that back up their arguement. Like Pro-abortion versus anti-abortion, both sides have facts, and you can present your facts to the other side until you are blue in the face, but i doubt you will change the other side's belief

Funny... I don't see the word "reality" anywhere in my post. I'm not a fan of it, so I rarely use it.

How long have you been out, what was the highest education you attained while in, and how long did you work for? I haven't seen many facts come out of you, just ideas about "good paragods" and "bad paragods" and the idea that "Mike must be a paragod because all his coworkers say so (with no quotes or real evidence to back that up with)."

Like I said... refute the logic or concede to it. Someone who generalizes based on a single experience (or a single post for that matter) is not utilizing logic; they are using flawed extrapolation.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.