Stethoscope Suggestions?

Hey everyone - I'm an EMT & my boyfriend is currently going through paramedic school. I was thinking of buying him a good stethoscope for Christmas. I'm currently debating between the Littmann Master Classic II and the Classic II S.E. - the Master Classic is about $20 more and I was wondering if it was worth the extra cash or not? Or if anyone has any other suggestions? My bf has a little trouble hearing in the back of a moving ambulance sometimes lol so good acoustics is definitely important. Suggestions/Opinions anyone? Thanks!

You're probably not going to get any agreement on this one. The old debate between the $10 nursing scope of the umpteenth dollar Cardiology 3 is long and messy.

Personnally I'd say spend enough to get the job done but not so much you can't afford to lose it (which may very well happen)

I've used a sprague, a generic litmann clone and the littman lightweight. I've done some quick comparison to the litmann classic with classmates too.

Usually I don't worry too much about gear, but my hearing is poor (and I think getting worse), so a stethoscope that I could hear well with was important for me. Of them I have preferred the litmann classic; it just seemed to give me the best sound quality of them.

Beyond the classic you're going to spend too much money for quality you don't need.

I use a DRG stethoscope. Never really bought into the Littmann hype. That being said, I would suggest you take him to look at different scopes. Everybody is different and may not be comfortable with the one you choose. I don't think you would go wrong choosing the Littmann Classic II, only it may not be what is comfortable for him. My partner uses a Sprague and it works for her. I can't hear anything with it.

Good Luck with your decision.

When I strted in EMS I used a $15 sprague, I bought the littman soft eartips to put on it and it worked fine.

For a B-Day my wife got me the Littman Master Classic II black edition, I love it, and I will probably never go back.... but really it is just for looks, although I do prefer it for air entry sounds, seems the sprague picked up more road noise.

I would suggest that you consider looking at ADC, especially if costs is a consideration. I have used both the ADC Cardiology & the ADC Professional & I believe they are as good as the more expensive brands.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.