It may be just a rumour, but...

EMSEDU

Recently was out for drinks with a very high-ranking City of Calgary employee whom I trust implicitly. He related to me a conversation that he had with a equally high-ranking member of Calgary EMS management.

Apparently, during a recent meeting between members of the "planning committee" in charge of the transition of EMS to the Province and said member of management, it was indicated that the budget for Calgary and area (read: Southern Alberta) was significantly lower than the current budget for running Calgary EMS alone.

When the "planning committee"member was asked how they planned on running Calgary plus surrounding areas on a budget that is more than 4 million dollars short of what it takes to run Calgary alone, the answer was "get rid of the Paramedics, go BLS except for a few speciality units, which would respond to ALS calls".

Said "planning committee" member went on to defend this practice by claiming that with such a short planning/transition period, this was the ONLY possible solution and that the province was providing them with an impossible budget.

I completely admit that I'm hearing this 3rd-hand, and the actual conversation may have been distorted by the time it reached me. However, if there is even a grain of truth to this, then my colleagues in Calgary and elsewhere need to be aware of the potential eradication of their jobs.

I don't know about you, but I plan on being pretty damned persistent in trying to find some answers about this transition and ending the speculation. And as for a provincial union... hurry hurry hurry!

I hope that's not the case as until this I've thought this was a really positive move for Alberta and decreased ALS, especially when increased ALS seems to be the norm elsewhere seem like a step back.

That being said, I thought I read that until the cheque was in hand, Calgary council was still budgeting for EMS, just in case there was a problem and the ensure continued service. I'll go searching for that news article, because I'm certain I didn't imagine it.

I hope that's not the case as until this I've thought this was a really positive move for Alberta and decreased ALS, especially when increased ALS seems to be the norm elsewhere seem like a step back.

That being said, I thought I read that until the cheque was in hand, Calgary council was still budgeting for EMS, just in case there was a problem and the ensure continued service. I'll go searching for that news article, because I'm certain I didn't imagine it.

No, you didn't imagine that, I read it as well, and in fact, mentioned this to my buddy, but he said that the city can do nothing to stop it even if they wanted to, which they don't. The province backed down 3 years ago but it won't happen this time: The province is hell-bent on going forward with this, even as members of their planning committee are admitting that the time allotted to plan this transition is ridiculous.

Right but since the transition is in funding formula, with administration remaining at the local level under the supervision and medical direction of the health authority. So what would stop the City from topping up funding if the province drops the ball?

According to this, when the city trimmed it's budget to reduce the tax increase they got rid of the EMS budget that Bronco originally allocated.

I also doubt that the city would top up the budget, especially after the fiasco that was contract negotiations last spring. If the province says they can run it for less, the city would jump at the chance to move the funding elsewhere.

But then, there is no funding anymore anyway.

Calgary city council approved its first major cut to the controversial 2009-2011 budget Tuesday evening, as it continued to go through the document line by line looking for more places to trim.

Aldermen approved Mayor Dave Bronconnier's suggestion to remove the operating costs for the city's Emergency Medical Services from the budget, after the province pledged to take over that responsibility effective April.

By removing the $15.1 million in EMS expenses for next year from the budget, the council was able to bring down the proposed property tax increase for 2009 to 7.8 per cent, compared to the 9.6 per cent originally proposed.

Council also managed to trim another $1.3 million in other expenses on Tuesday.

That barely puts a dent in a proposed $2.5-billion operating budget for 2009, but council was only a quarter of the way through the budget documents by mid-afternoon.

To make the cuts, council members have agreed to trim funding for consultants, cut four new jobs in park maintenance and delay hiring some staff in the asset-management department for six months.

Council Trims Controversial Budget

Ya know... I am so sick of 3rd, 4th, 5th hand info, I don't even follow this crap anymore. I read the public releases which are so vague they mean little to nothing and I realize no-one has any clue what is going to happen.

I am not going to get worked up about this whole thing till there is a real problem. Just realize.... EMS has no publicicity in Alberta. If WE need to go public with these things in the future we can, and I do believe it would make a difference. If you blatently tell the public "Your gov't is pulling ALS from your ambulances, leaving only BLS providers whom are not trained in prehospital medicine" You can be damn sure there will be an uproar.

Ya know... I am so sick of 3rd, 4th, 5th hand info, I don't even follow this crap anymore. I read the public releases which are so vague they mean little to nothing and I realize no-one has any clue what is going to happen.

I am not going to get worked up about this whole thing till there is a real problem. Just realize.... EMS has no publicicity in Alberta. If WE need to go public with these things in the future we can, and I do believe it would make a difference. If you blatently tell the public "Your gov't is pulling ALS from your ambulances, leaving only BLS providers whom are not trained in prehospital medicine" You can be damn sure there will be an uproar.

Two quick thoughts - waiting until this situation is fait accompli is a dangerous plan. And I wouldn't count on an "uproar" from the public, especially a public who has no idea what the differences are or what it would mean to them.

There is a reason why clear and decisive information is not being made available. Think about it.

On the bright side, if this plan goes through there will no longer be a shortage of paramedics for all the other ALS services out there.

On the Darker side, most of the Paramedics involved in integrated services will jump ship in a freaken heartbeat, why would they want to stay in EMS even ? one does have a mortgage to pay ... and thats NOT roumer at all, has Calgary or EDM cut the fire budget ? NOPE!

Artickat: Would you take a pay cut? Move your family and relocate in a rural area where in most cases you will work 24 hr x 4 shifts instead of 2 days 2 nights ... without a union to represent you and loose all senority ?

EMSEDU: Two quick thoughts - waiting until this situation is fait accompli is a dangerous plan. And I wouldn't count on an "uproar" from the public, especially a public who has no idea what the differences are or what it would mean to them.

Yup have to agree totally, best get off our asses collectively AND with ACoP doing absolutely nothing to improve pubilc image or educate (and don't anyone say its not in their mandate ...it is !) to explain the differences in levels in delivery of services,

With HPA being modified to lower standards, change bylaws, appoint a registrar at a government whim. I am going to say I told you so .... !

With the 3 Options on the table in the delivery of the new improved Alberta EMS system which one do you think will be the most successful in recieving Government moneys ... hmm no rocket science need there.

Hey maybe they Conservatives will give STARS another lottery fund so that the public will foot more of the bill to get an ALS provider to scene ...

You know since the declaration of "essential services designation" and all the types jumping up and down saying goodie goodie ... well the REALITY is finnally sinking in that this is just payback from Calgary EMS taking a strike vote ... looking back we should ALL have supported that at the time.

cheers

Right but since the transition is in funding formula, with administration remaining at the local level under the supervision and medical direction of the health authority. So what would stop the City from topping up funding if the province drops the ball?

Umm WAKE UP your dreaming ! :shock: So with the scare of huge reccestion looming, gas prices making oilsands production back on there heals and City Planners trying to lower tax increases ... cough, splutter it just aint a reality at ALL. What is a reality is privatizing the cities services for EMS ... tell me it isn't the most viable option right now ?

Seeing as we can no longer LEGALLY take strike action ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.