Handling a maternal cardiac arrest situation-rural EMS

Riblett

Yeah, I don't really get it either. The posters complaining about the length of the thread are the same ones that have been complaining about the 'tone' of the conversation over and over, making it an unusually long and boring thread.

I too think Crotchity, though I've not read many of his posts, was simply trying to take the point, which seems obvious to him, and keep refining it down until people were forced to split the atom and make the decision. People said, "My cert is more important than the babie’s life." He said, "But is it more important that Anyone's life?" and then he asked "Why?" and attempted to explore the reasons why, only people started bitching and complaining instead of participating.

To me, the most offensive thing in this entire thread, far and away, is the request to lock it. Kat, you have the ability to look away man. You can stay out of the conversation instead of continuing to add your silly remarks, or you can stay, and continue to add your silly remarks, but don't you friggin dare to assume that you are so incredibly intelligent that you know what the rest of us should be allowed to discuss, or not discuss and to what point we should be allowed to do so. And you all call Crotchity arrogant? Really….

I'm truly shocked by the number of intelligent people here that continued to complain instead of choosing to participate, or NOT! It truly is as simple as that! I agree that fighting for the integrity of the board is worth doing, I've been known to do it too. But I don't see that happening here. I see people attacking simply because they were offended...and that should be a sin here.

I don't know Crotchity from Adam. Have no opinion of his posts other than the last 5-6 pages of this thread, but unless he was posting naked pics of himself doing something very distasteful, I don't really get where all of this anger and "bully" nonsense is coming from?

I think maybe the City is getting a little too touchy feely...Sometimes learning is difficult, and sometimes you don't want it to happen, but here, the solution is as simple as not clicking a button.

Dwayne

I don't believe that the analogy of saving your family or partner is particularly valid. In fact, they are worlds apart for one reason: Your family or partner is alive. The pregnant mother is dead. The former is practising medicine without a licence. The latter is abuse of a corpse, at best. The former is a desperate, last ditch attempt to sacrifice life over limb, is guaranteed to result in harm, and would require more help than a doc could give you on the phone to perform. The latter is foolproof, and guaranteed to cause no harm, save for the risk of going crazy and cutting through the baby.

My frustration comes from nobody seeming to get how simple, yet concrete that difference is.

I think maybe the City is getting a little too touchy feely...Sometimes learning is difficult, and sometimes you don't want it to happen, but here, the solution is as simple as not clicking a button.

Dwayne

Lol. Dwayne notice my signature. Sincerely the kindler gentler spenac.

I don't believe that the analogy of saving your family or partner is particularly valid. In fact, they are worlds apart for one reason: Your family or partner is alive. The pregnant mother is dead. The former is practising medicine without a licence. The latter is abuse of a corpse, at best. The former is a desperate, last ditch attempt to sacrifice life over limb, is guaranteed to result in harm, and would require more help than a doc could give you on the phone to perform. The latter is foolproof, and guaranteed to cause no harm, save for the risk of going crazy and cutting through the baby.

My frustration comes from nobody seeming to get how simple, yet concrete that difference is.

Hmmm.... that really got me thinking Dust. I wonder if maybe this should be filed under the "Life over limb" file rather than the "Out of scope" file?

I keep thinking of this as a C-Section, and really it is not! There is possibly only one thing stopping this baby from breathing...

I am starting to second guess myself.

Yeah, I am no fan of kids, so I am not one of these people who would automatically choose the life of the baby over that of the mother. I don't care any more about kids than I do any other patient of mine. It's just that, in this case, she's already gone, so I feel like I may as well do my best to salvage something good from the situation.

On the other hand, if there were any doubt in my mind about the mother's mortality, I'd be in the same moral dilemma as the rest of you. I just understand the scenario to exclude the possibility of resuscitating the mother.

UMMMMM the fool, no the other fool, no not that fool but that one. :P

Wanna munch on some popcorn and think about it for a while? This is getting good.

we could try to argue that an EMT/Paramedic license is more important than our partner's life; actually we have to since that is what we have said all througout this post.

Nah, lets just get the thread shut down, that is easier.

I think it would have to depend on how I felt about that particular co-worker.

To me, the most offensive thing in this entire thread, far and away, is the request to lock it. Kat, you have the ability to look away man. You can stay out of the conversation instead of continuing to add your silly remarks, or you can stay, and continue to add your silly remarks, but don't you friggin dare to assume that you are so incredibly intelligent that you know what the rest of us should be allowed to discuss, or not discuss and to what point we should be allowed to do so. And you all call Crotchity arrogant? Really….

I'll add all the silly remarks I wanna and you can't stop me, so there too!! :P

I promised I wouldnt argue the matter anymore, so I wont. But to answer Dust's question about why not rescusitate the mom: I thought I read somewhere in these 14 pages that mom's head was squished to something along the size of a brick, so I assumed no chance at life and possibly a difficult airway to manage.

Not in the original scenario Crotch, it was in a subsequent post about real life.

That is the main problem here, Kat. Several scenarios have melded into one, confusing everyone as to what we are actually talking about.