Handling a maternal cardiac arrest situation-rural EMS

Riblett

Browbeating, bullying ?? Thats a stretch, or you guys have the thinnest skin in the world. I have been called everything but a child of god, by most everyone in this room for standing up for a moral belief. I have not gone off on anybody, cursed anyone out, sent a nasty PM to anyone, or talked about anyone's momma. Sounds like you guys have been cornered, and are taking the easy road out, because you know you are not going to come in this room and say your license is more important than your partner's life.

So sayeth the potato (one of my many nicknames granted to me by my professional colleagues), so sayeth the flock.

My license will NEVER be more important than my partner's life. The problem is you can set up all these hypothetical, philosophical what-if's all you like... one can be CONVINCED that one will react in a certain way until they're actually put into the situation and then the cards are on the table.

You haven't called anyone nasty names, or dissed anyone's momma, or anything like that; you have instead maintained a position of arrogance, that you have the answer no matter what-- and you have not attempted to concede any points to those who are concerned about doing proper medicine, rather than psyching themselves up for a what-if that is very statistically unlikely!

It gets old to watch someone steadfastly maintain their position and engage in one-sided conversation. Many of us have detailed how we feel and why, why we feel that field C-section by an untrained person is risky and not to be considered lightly, etc. You have selected bits and pieces of our replies to further your own self-aggrandizing "I will never let another human die rules be damned" schtick. We get it. You're the hero, you feel that you are morally superior for stating you will always opt to ignore protocols or rules or education or whatever it is, and you want to see us fall into step with you.

We're not going to do it! This is something that cannot be effectively decided by bickering on a forum! It is always going to come down to the individual situation and the individual provider, so why don't you give it a rest already?

Props to you for standing up for a moral belief. I would remind you that those who stand up and toot their own trumpet have the tendency to be classed with the Pharisees, whether they really belong there or not. I stand firm on my moral beliefs... but medicine is a field that challenges personal ethics, no matter what topic you look at. Trying to convince everyone that your ethic is superior is fine... but the tone of the dialogue will always shape whether people actually listen to you, or just get annoyed because they're being preached at again by a holier-than-thou.

It is important to stand up for what you believe in. But I firmly believe that you have a much more productive discussion if you remain more open to considering alternative ideas. It doesn't mean you have to go for them wholesale... but if you can put yourself into the thinking frame of those you are trying to convince, you can find common ground and tailor your arguments to the audience.

That's all I'm saying.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Browbeating, bullying ?? Thats a stretch, or you guys have the thinnest skin in the world. I have been called everything but a child of god, by most everyone in this room for standing up for a moral belief.

You are not standing up for your morals, you are trying to twist/change the story so we will agree with you on some level, therefor admitting our faults. That is kind of the definition of a bully (although you are not very good at it). Why the hell is it soooo important that everyone agrees with you on some level?? Are you really that insecure?

Sounds like you guys have been cornered, and are taking the easy road out, because you know you are not going to come in this room and say your license is more important than your partner's life.

Actually I am not going to say it because for some reason it will give you the satisfaction of "See I'm right!"

This [s:f2b39f9e26]site[/s:f2b39f9e26] discussion has turned into nothing but a place where you can have all the attention turned to you. Really crotchity.... you are not interested in an intellegent debate and sharing of ideas, it is clear to me you are looking to force argument/bully people, therefor fufilling your need for attention.

...you have instead maintained a position of arrogance, that you have the answer no matter what-- and you have not attempted to concede any points to those who are concerned about doing proper medicine, rather than psyching themselves up for a what-if that is very statistically unlikely!

Crotch is one of only three or four people here who got a very simple scenario right. I'd say that earns him the right to be arrogant, considering the company.

Considering the company? Wow.

I better keep my mouth shut. I'm about to say something that I'll severely regret.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I'm off to make some popcorn. This ceased to be an intelligent debate long ago but now it's heading for an all out brawl. Should be a good show for at least another 5 worthless pages before it finally gets locked down.

Who is the greater fool? The fool or the fool who argues with him?

Crotch is one of only three or four people here who got a very simple scenario right. I'd say that earns him the right to be arrogant, considering the company.

Dust I disagree. He has chosen to antagonize rather than discuss. Had he been discussing then his scenario might have been worth the time to discuss. In fact many of the comments in this and other topics remind me of another person that chose to antagonize and was banned, but I could be wrong.

Not trying to pick on you crotch but you really are coming off as for lack of better word as a jerk, not saying you are a jerk but that your posts come off that way. And if you are not a previously banned poster, Sorry.

I'm off to make some popcorn. This ceased to be an intelligent debate long ago but now it's heading for an all out brawl. Should be a good show for at least another 5 worthless pages before it finally gets locked down.

Who is the greater fool? The fool or the fool who argues with him?

UMMMMM the fool, no the other fool, no not that fool but that one. :D