Handling a maternal cardiac arrest situation-rural EMS

Riblett

Pro life, intend to have children, against doing a field C-section without appropriate training.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Ok, I have said all I can to try to bring you around to the morally correct answer, but that obviously isnt going to work. This is my last and best effort to try to bring the message home, and then I give up, as this horse has been beaten to death and is now been made into jello:

I know those who have stuck to their guns about not doing it probably will not admit if they change their mind with this last WHAT IF:

What if it were your partner's wife ?

What if it were someone in your family (not immediate, maybe a cousin or inlaw).

Not moved ? Last chance:

We put you in a plane crash in a remote area during a snowstorm. It will be hours before anyone finds you, or is able to get to you should they find you. You dont have to do a C-Section on anyone, but to save lives, you have to do some "non-approved" procedures like surgical airway, amputation, maybe decide who is not salvageable and who is (and let the ones who would take too many supplies and effort die) versus working everyone that codes, maybe removing some shrappnel, putting in some stitches ?

Or do you just tell everyone, "sorry I have medical training, but I could lose my license if I save your life --- but hey, the guy that sells insurance that was sitting next to me, told me he was a boyscout, maybe he can remember some first aid."

OOOOHHHHH OOOOHHHH OOOHHH Mr Kotter, scratch the plane crash, I got a better one:

Instead of a plane crash, its either a helicopter ambulance crash with fire, or a structure fire with collapse, either way one of your brothers/sisters in EMS/Fire is trapped and will be burned alive if you dont do an immediate limb amputation to free them.

Please tell me you wont turn your back on your co-workers, or is your license still the most important thing ?

Somebody show some love, give me some props !!!!!

Crotch why are you trying to force your opinion on someone? If they choose not to answer they may feel as I do that it is really not pertinent to the discussion. Would I go above written protocol? Yes as in the written protocol I have instructions to consult medical control for addition direction if needed. So if I do a procedure out of general scope I am covered. Some services do not allow this. As many say we could all throw what ifs till we're blue in the face and honestly all will have to make the choice based on what is happening at that time. Heck if ever faced with the choice I might actually change my mind. Known of us can 100% say until we are placed in that rare situation.

hmmmmmm, no response since last night ? The internets must have been down all night. Come-on, who is going to be the first to be adult enough to say OK, maybe I was wrong about that, I cant turn my back on my coworkers ? Therefore, I cant let the baby die either.

I choose not to enter this discussion with you as you are attmepting to bully your opinion on me and completely unwilling to accept that someone may think other than you.

I agree with akroeze. Note the potato comment a few pages back... that attitude is what prompted it.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I agree with akroeze. Note the potato comment a few pages back... that attitude is what prompted it.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Looks like this discussion has ended as good as a rotten potato, in the trash. Sad though was good at times.

Crotichity, I've already said under what circumstances I'd feel comfortable doing this.

I'm not going to play the slippery slope of anecdotes as they represent the worst sort of reasoning and are always designed to create a situation where someone has no choice to agree with you, because the situation has been designed as such. So with reference to plane crash, I decline to participate.

Now, before you prode people into taking part in your scenarios, could you please actually answer the questions asked of you and support some of the claims you have made? If not, say so. Otherwise, Ak and Eyedawn are right that this has become less of a discussion and more browbeating.