Handling a maternal cardiac arrest situation-rural EMS

Riblett

I guess I'm one of the cowboys but it would depend on the situation.

If I was a super medic with paragod syndrome I'd also perform brain surgery with a pocketknife and a cordless drill. "Thank God for Black and Decker"

If I was a super medic with paragod syndrome I'd also perform brain surgery with a pocketknife and a cordless drill. "Thank God for Black and Decker"

Cool!! you watched Rescue 77's short lived run? I think that was on the final episode before it was canceled.

I really think those that disagree with our being willing to save the baby under doctors orders just think that we plan to go whittle on every patient we get. There were a very tight group of reasons why we are willing to extricate the baby from its dead mode of transportation. I hate that what was really a productive discussion went the way of everyone bashing those with different opinions.

This BS about "it's not an infant", and saying that this scenario is somehow different from a victim being trapped under a dead body are really, really sad signs. It is actually morally repugnant to me to hear such nonsense out of a medical practitioner.

I hate to go too far down the "what if" road, but...

Suppose your system gave you a one day long class in emergency c-sections, a card to carry in your wallet, and added the procedure to your official protocols.

Would you do it then?

Can I summarize what you said as: "If we were trained to competency, certified as such and given written protocol for such a situation" ..?

If so, of course we would do it. This kind of preparation would eliminate all of the problems with doing it otherwise:

1. Technical Competency

2. Background Education

2. Written Protocol

3. Clinical Value (I assume my training would help me identify whether the procedure would be valuable or not in this situation.)

4. Equipment (I also assume since we are trained we've got the equipment necessary to get it done.)

I can't comment on whether "one day" is long enough to learn how to do this (since I have no idea!) although I would suspect it might take longer than that. Anything is possible though.

I wouldn't go so far as to say a one day classroom experience would train you to competency. And I was not attempting to imply that. I was merely talking about the same amount of superficial orientation that is given by many schools to just about every other medical procedure that a paramedic performs. After all, plenty of medic schools are graduating medics who have never intubated a live person, nor decompressed a live person's chest, yet they are authorised by protocol to do so. And I have never heard of any medic refusing that order on the grounds that he was not comfortable with it.

So obviously, it seems there is some corelation between confidence in a procedure and having written authorisation. In other words, medics seem to feel that, if it's in their protocols, it must be safe and easy enough for them to do. Yet, you can take a procedure that is indeed safe and easy, yet not in the protocols, and most medics will (understandably) balk at it.

Just trying to quantify how much of this is just a rigid inflexibility on the part of medics who cannot fathom not cooking by the book, and how much of it is a true discomfort with an unfamiliar procedure.

If I were trained to competency on emergency c-section, I would not hesitate to do so.

End of story.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Suppose your system gave you a one day long class in emergency c-sections,

I wouldn't go so far as to say a one day classroom experience would train you to competency. And I was not attempting to imply that.

OMFG!!! DUDE!!! You just said that in your previous post!! Is it a compulsion for you to argue, even with yourself??!! I am completely stunned!! I have never, ever seen someone turn on themself so quickly...even a delusional psych patient has the common sense to argue with a hallucination. Man, this is just too much.

There is cooking by the book, then there is thinking you can cook the turkey faster by cranking the oven up another 100 degrees. Geez, this thread has got to be the most analogies and what ifs per post ratio I have ever seen.

It's too much, I gotta go.