Handling a maternal cardiac arrest situation-rural EMS

Riblett

What if I told you that a podiatrist and his LPN,

Another "What if" story...YAWN!!!

not everyone, there are atleast "3" of us "cowboys" who would do the right thing.

No need to wonder about your listed occupation in that case.

In the paper the next day, the headline is "Boy dies at restaurant, Doctor says if I had tried to save him, I could have lost my license" . He goes on to explain that he has no emergency training, and to render aid in this situation is outside his scope of foot care.

People, even licensed doctors and RNs, who respond to an emergency outside of their regular place of employment can be protected under some Good Sam laws. However, they must perform as any other would in a similiar situation with similiar training. If their training is not emergency medicine or they do not know CPR, they may be only able to act as any other citizen in the same situation.

Likewise, if a physician, RN or whoever and whatever is on scene with other EMS workers, the EMS workers remain control of the scene and can ask the others not to interfere unless they are capable of accepting full responsibility for the patient. A Podiatrist probably would not be in any position to provide emergency care in any capacity higher than a Paramedic or even EMT.

They also have a term called fetuscide for those who kill unborn fetuses through violence while it is still in the womb --- and most states dont allow third trimester abortions for a reason. But if it helps you sleep at night to say you let a fetus die instead of an infant, that is cool.

The EMS providers did not cause the violent act to kill the fetus.

Likewise, if a physician, RN or whoever and whatever is on scene with other EMS workers, the EMS workers remain control of the scene and can ask the others not to interfere unless they are capable of accepting full responsibility for the patient. A Podiatrist probably would not be in any position to provide emergency care in any capacity higher than a Paramedic or even EMT.

I like this quote Vent, if only because I've been there, done that. Catamaran Snorkel tour in Mexico, one of the passengers collapses as I watch. From 10 feet away I can see he is pale, very diaphoretic, and out like a light as he falls back in his chair and against his wife. I scamper over three people and over to the patient...my first thought on the way was "Where's the AED" Then I recalled where I was. I got over to him and moved him to the floor of the boat and opened his airway. Three people came over to help me. Two were ward nurses and the third a urologist. All three of them told me that I was the one in my element, but they were there if I needed their help. The urologist kept the furthest distance...it was rather odd for me. It's not often that I have higher trained medical professionals on my scene, and to have them tell me I'm the boss and defer to me is a very strange experience.

Turns out our patient was just very ill from imbibing too much the night before, combined with using tap water to brush his teeth and finally a little motion sickness. We got him to shore and waited for the medico on the Marina golf cart to come get him.

Captain of the boat gave me all the free beer I wanted for helping his passenger out. Problem is, the trip was all inclusive.:D

not everyone, there are atleast "3" of us "cowboys" who would do the right thing.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you, doesn't mean they don't understand the issue. Come on Crotchity, dial back up the intelligence in here. Little jabs like that are what starts the rapid decline of these threads into a troll fest.

I was just quoting what others have called us for doing the right thing. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If nothing else, we came close to learning the dollar value of a human life today. I cant say what it is exactly, but we know its not worth more than the price to get an EMT or medic certification, so it is below $5000.00. I guess the recession has brought down the value of everything.

I was just quoting what others have called us for doing the right thing.

Is that seriously all you got out of that? Honestly? Let me post it again:

The prudent person who wants to protect his license (and possibly the patient) is regarded as cold and uncaring, while the "hero" who is willing to bend the law is scoffed at as a cowboy who's time on the street will be short lived.

So I guess I called myself cold and uncaring as well? Read it again crotchity. It's not an insult, it's a commentary on this kind of argument.

You also seem to have missed (or ignored) several other points in the argument as well. I don't think anyone has even mentioned straight loss of salary yet.

This thread is starting to spin down the toilet. In circles.

Notice a trend? Anyone? It's like arguing with a potato! Except a potato is useful, tasty and nutritious.

*facepalm*

Wendy

CO EMT-B