Minimum Equipment

fiznat

I'm not saying that ALL of those scenarios have happened to me, they are just examples. Also it is infrequent that the restock is absolutely not available. More often this is a question of time. I punch in for my shift and immediately they want me to run out for a 911 call because everyone else is out on other calls.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was your truck, and your responsibility to keep it stocked.

Ahh, if only management felt that way. It wasn't the crew's duty to ensure that the unit was stocked, it was management's responsibility. It was the crew's duty to check the truck and report any missing equipment to management per county EMS. I ended up going rounds with management over this since my view is that certain responsibilities, such ensuring a stocked unit, are laid on the crews by the nature of the work that can not be transfered to someone outside of the crew.

This is one of those times you need good communications with the crew you are relieving, and the dispatch center.

When I would be coming back from a late assignment, I would verbally advise the relief crew what supplies were needed, and even try to, if I wasn't completing the paperwork from my tour, get the stuff from the stockroom to hand to them.

When I was the relief crew, if given an assignment before checking the vehicle, if I felt we had enough onboard supplies to complete the call as given to us, I'd radio dispatch as taking the call, but ask for the notation in the Computer Assisted Dispatch system unit history for my unit, that we had "an unchecked vehicle". The verbal signal would be taped, anyway, for further documentation, should there have been a problem.

It would be easy to tell dispatch we were out of service due to "No O2." We'd make sure to do a quick check, then, of all stock and equipment, for compliance with "Part 800" of the mandatory equipment and stock.

Also, when at the hospital after the call, we'd give some kind of excuse for documenting "extended at hospital" to finish the "rig check", and if needed, clear from the hospital but go "out of service" for return to the station to get the restock supplies on board (my station is quite close to both 9-1-1 receiving hospitals in my service district).

One of the best layouts that i saw was a service that had all of your softgoods sealed in plastic storage containers (everything in the interior cabinets --- This was a shoebox size rectangular bin with a lid on it). This allowed you to quickly check those cabinets; if all 20 something tubs were sealed, you were good. If not, you replaced the unsealed tub with a sealed one from the supply room (tubs were numbered, and were universal -- tub #2 had the same supplies in it in all trucks). This just left the exterior compartments, jump seat compartment, ALS equipment to check. You could check a truck in less than 10 minutes if everything was there.

I like the sealed compartment method. If managed properyly it works great it requires alot of accountability. The way we did it when I wore the cranberry shirt was this. All compartments (except for linens, the bench seat and jump kit compartments) and each jump kit were sealed with zip ties that have tabs on them. To seal a compartment you have to complete a check sheet... sign out the needed number of seals from the supervisors office while they are present including your name, date, compartment, serial number on the seal and soonest exiration date of any applicable items in that compartment. You initial the seal/s tab as well as put the soonest exp. date on it and finally seal your compartment.

Advantages:

*Your name and (in the log book) the supervisors name goes on it

*Quicker check of the ambulance at the begining of the shift (If everything is sealed)

*If something is missing but the compartment is sealed there is a record of who did it

*Additionally, the shift or associate supervisors were responsible for signing off on your check sheets by the end of your shift and filed accordingly. So they in turn are also partly responsible.

Disadvantages:

*Its kind of an honor system more than anything

*A compartment may go un-used past an expiration date of whats inside

*A broken seal (depending on the brand) it can be replaced and go un-noticed. A visual inspection alone is not enough so not being fully equiped will fall on your part for laziness... even if the seal was someone else's responsability. I personally feel and pull on every seal as well as check expiration dates before Ill okay it.

Generally what I did if all seals were in place, my O2 levels were good, lights, sirens... etc. Id complete my check sheet at the end of each shift. Theres more time to do so and if I use something I dont have to do a second check sheet. I dont see the point behind checking off legitimatley sealed compartments... then later breaking a seal and using something then checking all over again. Plus I like to make sure its all there for the next crew so they cant say it isnt.

We usually have a sense of what the car is like before getting in, however, because the off-going crew will usually tell us if they had a busy shift and if we're down on important things like O2, drugs, IV stuff, etc. So, even if a call drops, we can grab a few handfuls of stuff and chuck it on the bench seat before taking off.

Even if you dont work with them... ever... I always find it good to know the the shift/crew that works before and after yours. While you should always check your own rig... it helps to know whos reliable for restock, who isnt.... whos a total pig and dosnt bother cleaning... who will be kind and reliable enough to help you if you absoloutley need it (i.e your partner bounces at the end of a shift before either of you cleaned the rig).

Where I work, we have both 12 hour and 24 hour trucks. You're allowed to come in up to 15 minutes early and get paid before your truck needs to be in service to check the truck and what not, however it is not a requirement. (Then again, if you don't have something, and you have a call a minute after you're in service, you will be ripped a new one with the uppers, which is good because it holds them responsible). So typically I come in 10 minutes early (15 if I actually wake up on time), and check the truck prior to being in service. When coming in on a 24 hour truck, the previous crew will let us know what we need if they had a late run, or if oxygen is low, etc. (Because they like to leave as soon as the next crew is in) That way, before going to the truck, I can stop in at the supply closet and get what I need before I check the truck. It seems to work out well, and I've never been caught with my pants down...yet.

How many of us have crews of more than 2 persons per tour in the vehicles? Just asking, so that the "rig check" can be split between the on duty people.

FDNY runs 2 person crews. When "Teching", that member checks the inside of the ambulance, when "Wheeling," the member checks the outside compartments.

Optimally, each FDNY EMS Ambulance has a compliment of 9 personnel, 2 on each 8 hour tour (with one, per tour, on regular days off) and 3 tours a day. We do have some units that run only daylight, or evening, or both.

When I first started on the ambulance designated as 47Adam, with understanding that all would take care of stock and cleanliness issues immediately, tour one (0030-0830) cleaned the ambulance inside and out, tour two (0830-1630) made sure we were overstocked on disposable supplies, sheets and blankets, and tour three (1630-0030) made sure both diesel fuel tanks on the ambulance were topped off. 2 full tanks usually could last for 6 tours continuous running.

In inclement weather, supervisors would have each tour top off the tanks, no matter what, especially when a weekend was when the storm was to hit, because the station then had no fuel tanks, and we'd be filling up at the sanitation department garage a block away. After 2100 on Saturday until 0700 Monday, sanitation's pumps were closed.

This is no longer an issue, as the station is now relocated to a combined fire fighting/EMS "house" with our own tanks, sanitation as 1st backup, and a commercial gas station authorized to refuel us and bill the city for the amount, kind of like a city credit card.

Sounds like my company, they give you a transport and you tell them it will be 10 minutes cause you have to change the "M" cylinder and they get all huffy and puffy with you.

I have gotten burned on scene because of this, the company doesn't realize taht it makes YOU look bad not them.

Me: "Can you tell Dispatch I'm not ready for calls yet? I need gloves- there are ZERO gloves on this truck, and since the new memo says I could be fired for taking equipment from another truck, I guess that means I'll need some from the supply closet."

Ops: "Just steal a box from the nursing home or hospital on your first run."

Me: "Ok, and what happens when my first call is a private address pickup?"

Ops: ".............................." *throws up his hands and walks away.*

Me: "Can you tell Dispatch I'm not ready for calls yet? I need gloves- there are ZERO gloves on this truck, and since the new memo says I could be fired for taking equipment from another truck, I guess that means I'll need some from the supply closet."

Ops: "Just steal a box from the nursing home or hospital on your first run."

Me: "Ok, and what happens when my first call is a private address pickup?"

Ops: ".............................." *throws up his hands and walks away.*

:lol::lol:

I laughed but maybe I should cry as that is probably really happening.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.