Ambulance service STARTS medics at $54k/year !!!!!

Standby pay is another touchy issue... 20+ yrs ago ?I worked for a transport service in NY as an EMT....

They used to pay $5.50-7.50 per hour for EMT's...

and on Sat Sun they had a "pager crew" You stayed home, had a pager and when the pager went off, you went and got the ambo. and did the call......

at a rate of $10.00 per call..... if it went 1 1/2 hours you got 15. so basically 10 per hour...

Now the Screwed up thing was this was way before cell phones, etc, so when paged you had to call in, and then get the ambo on the road within like 10 minutes...... they had the call forwarded to a guys home and he had a base radio.....

Now during the on call time... you could not do much else, you could not Drink, go out to lunch except for fast food, go shopping,,, go on a date, so you were in fact a slave to the pager...... but if you sat around all day and did nothing,,, your pay was $00.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't buy that for a second. I have been through SEVERAL departments that have had to increase the base rate plus milage rate that is charged to a patient, with the first one actually being an almost 300% increase! No dip in calls...in fact, because the area was growing, the calls have done nothing but increase in frequency.

Fortunately for those without insurance there are no EMS operators with the courage to try it. Not many people can afford a $5000.00 ambulance trip to the tertiary centre. It's moot anyways, the rates for ambulance services are determined by the Ministry of Health, not the individual operator. A private operator out here couldn't raise his rates even if he wanted to. Besides, how would you like to go to work for your four 12 hour shifts and do about 4 calls a month? Pretty boring job if you ask me.

Fortunately for those without insurance there are no EMS operators with the courage to try it. Not many people can afford a $5000.00 ambulance trip to the tertiary centre. It's moot anyways, the rates for ambulance services are determined by the Ministry of Health, not the individual operator. A private operator out here couldn't raise his rates even if he wanted to. Besides, how would you like to go to work for your four 12 hour shifts and do about 4 calls a month? Pretty boring job if you ask me.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.