Are You Using Stair Chairs the Wrong Way ?????????????

The post about the "soft stretcher" made me think of something, and hopefully i am not the only idiot who was guilty of this. The last company i worked for had the newer stair chairs with the rolling belts (like a military tank). I had only used the old ones, and was having trouble unfolding it and folding it without loosing a finger. So I did a very "unmedic" like act, and watched the manufacturers instructional DVD. On the DVD it showed the medics doing something i had never done: The medic at the head or top of the stairchair, turned around (with his back to the stairchair) and walked up the stairs forward (much like you would pull a rickshaw) with both medics facing forwards or up the stairs. I had always done it with the top medic facing the patient and the other medic, walking backwards up the stairs. This new way was so much easier when i tried it out for real with a patient. So, if any of you are still dragging the stair chair up the steps backwards, flip around and do it the easy way.

yes, i am only 5'9" -- so it was much better for me --- i cant explain it, but its just way easier walking forward carrying weight, than walking backwards --- and it felt better carrying the load with my arms bent, versus walking backwards with arms straightout --- and for me, because i am short, it felt like the load was carried higher -- the stair chair wheels never hit a step -- if that makes any sense ----- try it, see what you think.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.