Soft Stretcher - Worthwhile or not?

Oscar

Our service has recently had a number calls to unresponsive patients in the 250 - 300 lb. weight range in small houses. On 2 recent calls, we were unable to get a cot, spine board, scoop stretcher or stair chair to the patient, due to confined spaces and tight hallways.

In these cases, space was so tight, we had to get the patient to the floor and use a blanket drag to move them to a larger space, where we could get enough hands on the patient to lift them safely.

Has anyone used soft stretchers? If so, are they useful (where their use would not be contraindicated), or do they end up just taking up space somewhere in the back of the rig?

Please let me know any other methods/products you may have used for this type of situation (other than a sheet or blanket or cutting a hole in the wall with a Stihl chainsaw :twisted: ).

I like the soft stretcher a lot. Case in point - dislocated hip patient lying on his bed in a position of comfort in a tiny trailer house with more curves and tight spots than a holliwood starlet. The man is 74 years old and in a lot of pain. The last thing I want to do is maneuver him onto a long board or stair chair. The gurney will not fit. Carrying him out in a blanket will cause a lot of uncontrolled movement. The soft stretcher worked like a charm. We slid the stretcher under the sheet the patient was laying on and carried him out. (4 mg of morphine was administered before moving him) The passageways in the house were too small to allow more than one person on each end of the stretcher to fit through so the light weight of the stretcher was a big plus too.

Love the soft stretcher, it is great for tight spaces, narrow halls, and stairs. I wouldnt buy one for every truck (unless you can afford it), but its great to have one available in your service. If you do buy one, make sure it is the larger size with atleast 6-8 handles (I prever canvas over the plastic models). The smaller version works for most patients, but it is not as good when you get one over 600lbs (harder to lift with just 4 "corner" handles.

I have even been known to use it for light patients on stairs that dont have a "back" (hollow gaps under each stair, where the stairchair wheel can slip through)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.