Perfusing the FBAO patient

Pipey

As the original poster -- BLS -- and CPR instructor -- I appreciate all the observations, comments, insights. I learned quite bit and I'm happy the question was treated the way I hoped it would be. I had not come across the argument for getting the blockage deeper into a bronchi to get an airway and worrying about infection later. Also interested in the compressions with NRB only. I was aware of the residual O2 and using compressions as another way to drive intrathoracic pressure. Surgical cric not an option for me but I remember the BIC pen deal. I was recently asked the question I posed here and didn't think I had a good answer. I do now. Many thanks. Happy to hear any other observations.

C-spine is important, but lack of oxygenation is more important, so you do not spend 10 minutes applying a ccollar and KED. Yes, they may have a cspine fracture, but that doesnt matter if they die.

I have 2 problems with this statement

Problem #1 - KED is NOT for rapid extrication.

Problem #2 - If they have a C-Spine fx and you manipulate it it does not matter if you bring them back because they will never get off the ventilator.

Put the patient on a LSB with head immobilised and work the code.

Again I will say - Spinal Immobilization is NOT life over limb..... It is life over death.

I agree Mobey. I feel like that is the sort of thing I'm used to hearing/teaching in first aid and first responder courses as the worst case scenario. But professional providers should be able to balance basic C-spine immobilization around their resuscitation in most cases. In fact I ran a scenario with just this issue today in lab. It was a bit of a juggle to be running the algorithm and getting the collar and board on and strapped but we got it figured out. Yes on the balance sheet ABC's over c-spine any day, but that doesn't mean you forget c-spine entirely.

I agree Mobey. I feel like that is the sort of thing I'm used to hearing/teaching in first aid and first responder courses as the worst case scenario. But professional providers should be able to balance basic C-spine immobilization around their resuscitation in most cases. In fact I ran a scenario with just this issue today in lab. It was a bit of a juggle to be running the algorithm and getting the collar and board on and strapped but we got it figured out. Yes on the balance sheet ABC's over c-spine any day, but that doesn't mean you forget c-spine entirely.

Back when ITLS was known as BTLS, you were taught to be able to "in-line" intubate, which I'm sure is still being taught. I was in second class taught in the state at the time, so not everyone was familiar with it. I really made a more senior Medic mad when he didn't want tube someone due to not wanting to compromise c-spine. So I asked if I could show him something. At least I asked. But after we got to the hosp. he started to lay into me. The doc and one of the nurses were over hearing this and took my side. I don't think that Medic talked to me for a month. But that was no snot off my nose.

• 4 months later...

Hahaha you're always going to get them Doc, and as you say, no snot of your nose.

OP - Compressions and FBAO, its been said in the posts above me and so I wont repeat it on the reasoning of Compressions. Here in New Zealand we do chest compressions for that mere fact of increased interthoracic pressure to give a chance of POP *it coming out, not a lung lol*. Intermediates here can do direct laryngascopy and mcgills forceps to remove the object if seen.

The side issue raised on C-Spine management, the statement about "they'll never come off the ventilator", couldn't agree more, nursed a guy in ICU with that exact same issue, people pulled him out and started CPR, yeap he lived but with the rough movement *as reviewed by the doctors* an already injured spinal cord snapped at c5. Bye bye phrenic nerve and that patient never left the ventilator.

No Oxygen = no brain = bye bye blue sky

No Breathing ability = no oxygen = no brain = bye bye blue sky. C-spine care is important as airway care.