Asthmatic SinoBronchitis

Eydawn

Now, it's not often that the doc will surprise me with whatever diagnosis they pull out of the hat... but last night was a special night. Turns out I don't have pneumonia, that lovely chest X-ray was negative (thank the Lord) but I do have "asthmatic sino-bronchitis" and the treatment's pretty much the same... Augmentin for the sinus part, prednisone for the inflammation, up my controller corticosteroid and life should cease to suck. I still feel like royal hell though.

Anyone ever heard of this before? It kinda cracked me up, to be honest!

--Wendy

Never heard of it before, looked it up ....

Over the years, physicians have noted an association between asthma and sinusitis. In fact, 15% of patients with sinusitis also have asthma (as opposed to 5% of the normal population). An astounding 75% of severely asthmatic patients also have sinusitis. Additionally, asthmatic patients often report that their symptoms worsen when they develop sinusitis. Conversely, when the sinusitis is treated, the asthma improves.

PS..

The reasons behind the association of asthma and sinusitis are similar to those suggested for the association between asthma and allergic rhinitis. The infected mucus from the sinuses may drain into the bronchial tubes, thereby causing bronchitis (sinobronchitis). The inflammation caused by the mucus may worsen asthma. The best evidence to date seems to support the idea of neural reflexes in the linings of the nose, sinuses, and airways. Sinusitis may activate a "sinobronchial reflex" and worsen asthma.

Have you had asthma since childhood? Hope you are feeling better soon.

PS..

pulled out of hat

pretty polite.. I was thinking pulled out of south of there.. :o

Yeah, I'd heard of allergies and postnasal drainage exacerbating asthma symptoms but not the reflex thing. Makes sense though!

I contemplated saying "pulled it out of one's arse" but the prednisone hadn't fully kicked in yet. Has now, lol. As far as how long I've had it... I didn't get diagnosed until 14, although I probably had EIA a bit earlier in life. Didn't start the full blown wheezing, constriction dealie until I got to high school and endured the barrage of body spray, cologne and perfume. Class change was never a happy time, everyone in front of their locker slathering it on lest (gasp) anyone think they had some semblance of BO. I'd rather the BO over the cloud of toxic perfume.

Soooo jittery. I hate prednisone! Lol... thanks for the well wishes, folks.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Didn't start the full blown wheezing, constriction dealie until I got to high school and endured the barrage of body spray, cologne and perfume. Class change was never a happy time, everyone in front of their locker slathering it on lest (gasp) anyone think they had some semblance of BO. I'd rather the BO over the cloud of toxic perfume.

Soooo jittery. I hate prednisone! Lol... thanks for the well wishes, folks.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

You really sound as if you are borderline MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitive).

Prednisone - hate it but I sure breath better after a while. I hate the swelling from it.

Vent, in pneumonia they can see the fluid/mucus buildup on the x-ray, right? Isn't that why they use an x-ray to definitively rule it out or in?

Spenac, I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised. Perfumes, cleaning chemicals, candles, all of em are not my friend. I'm not totally sick or respiratory-screwed all the time though... been doing great on a maintenance dose of 1 puff of Asmanex until this chest cold got me. One of our stations is based in an old Kodak plant and I water and sneeze and get a little tight out there... and we're not even in the main building. I'm not the only one that station bothers, either.

Wendy

CO EMT-B