New Jersey

djmedic

Holy shit.. I read some key parts of that report. I knew it was bad, but I didn't know that the volunteer portion was completely unregulated. That, I'm totally against. Under those terms, anyone could set up shop as an ambulance. No license, poor equipment and questionable staffing. That's pretty close to how ambulance services in most of the United States operated prior to 1966.

I'm not completely against volunteers, but I'm against them being in favor of this sort of system. In fact, this makes it look like there is no EMS system, that they're just a club of some sort going about things on their own terms. It's beyond ridiculous.. It's unfathomable, I can't even find words to express how it sounds.. Wow, I had no idea it was that bad.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a bit bass ackwards, not gonna lie.

I just moved back from Florida, cause the pay down there absolutely blows, and I didn't feel like using my skills to do BLS transports.

I am currently being sponsored by AtlantiCare in South Jersey. We are a fairly progressive service, providing MAV, BLS interfacility, BLS 911, MICU, SCTU, helicopter EMS, and we are the lead agency for the NJ EMS Task Force in the Southern Region.

Yes, we do contact medical control for every ALS patient, and yes, ALS is over worked, and under staffed.

However, the BLS agencies are (for the most part) all paid in my area, and our service is becoming more progressive.

If you are interested still, PM me and I can shoot you some more info. There IS change coming. May not be right now, but there is change coming.

Take it from someone who just left working in Newark.

RUN THE F--K AWAY!!

If you have a brain, and work in NJ, it will atrophy because of the sheer stupidity and incompetence of the volunteers.

It will atrophy because the standing orders suck.

It will atrophy because trying to be a Paramedic in NJ is like trying to be one with you hands tied behind your back while you're being beaten like a pinata.

Just like every other person has said about every other service (with the exception of the guy who works for AtlantiCare), avoid NJ.

MONOC is no exception.

I have known several former MONOC employees. They all left due to poor management, poor equipment, lousy coworkers and more. Even current (at the time) employees with whom I've interacted have said that given a choice they wouldn't work there again.

There was a local newspaper series about MONOC not too long ago. Within the past couple years maybe? It did not paint a favorable picture.

I sincerely hope you're seeing a trend in the responses you're getting. So far it looks like the best advice you've gotten is to live in NJ and work in NYC. Everyone else has said to forget NJ. We can't *all* be wrong.

-be safe

I sincerely hope you're seeing a trend in the responses you're getting. So far it looks like the best advice you've gotten is to live in NJ and work in NYC. Everyone else has said to forget NJ. We can't *all* be wrong.

I know...my dad lives in NJ and this scares me for him as well...I would like to think if he calls 911 he may actually live...

also since I am looking to relocate to NJ to be closer to him and the rest of my family I was looking to hopefully making my commuting life easier... the NYC-NJ rush hour traffic is disgusting and I would prefer not to have to leave my house 2 days before my shift just to get there on time. I grew up in NYC so I know about the disgusting traffic (1 reason I left) but I do have to admit I would LOVE to work for FDNY and help my beloved city...

Take it from someone who just left working in Newark.

RUN THE F--K AWAY!!

If you have a brain, and work in NJ, it will atrophy because of the sheer stupidity and incompetence of the volunteers.

It will atrophy because the standing orders suck.

It will atrophy because trying to be a Paramedic in NJ is like trying to be one with you hands tied behind your back while you're being beaten like a pinata.

You left Newark? Where you headed?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.