EMS in the Obama Administration

UMSTUDENT

Hey guys,

I wanted to make everyone aware of something on President-Elect Obama's transition website (www.change.gov).

http://www.change.gov/page/s/yourvision

On the above page you can share your "ideas" with the incoming administration. You can even upload a video or photo for the transition team to review. Now I know that the chances of everyone of these things being watched or read is slim, but hey...worth a shot, right?

A lot of us complain on here constantly about poor federal policies or how the Feds put more stock in fire suppression that in actually fixing the EMS ills of this country. Here is your chance. I encourage everyone who has ever sought "change" to write and tell your story. Tell them what being a paramedic in this country is like. If you have a camera, tape what you do (remember privacy concerns). Highlight the problems in our profession and promote real change:

1) Highlight the need for a "real" federal entity. We need someone who tracks statistics, provides funds, and fights for better reimbursement.

2) Bring back federal dollars for substantive EMS research.

3) Promote the need for higher EMS educational standards. Ask that federal dollars be made available to start the next generation of college and university-based education programs.

4) Promote EMS as a health care profession. Get it out of public safety!

5)Fight for better reimbursement from Medicare/Medicaid and any future Obama/Biden changes to the current entitlement programs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/homeland...urity/index.php

The link above will take you to President Elect Obama's web page on the topic of homeland security. This is one of the excerpts:

Support First Responders: Barack Obama is committed not only to rolling back the Bush-McCain funding cuts that have affected our first responders - police, firefighters, and emergency medical professionals - but also to increasing federal resources and logistic support to local emergency planning efforts.

I hope he's not full of it. This could be a good thing.

Support First Responders: Barack Obama is committed not only to rolling back the Bush-McCain funding cuts that have affected our first responders - police, firefighters, and emergency medical professionals - but also to increasing federal resources and logistic support to local emergency planning efforts.

I hope he's not full of it. This could be a good thing.

Total bullshyte. There's already too much money being spent on "first responders" as it is. The problem is not money. The problem is where the money is being spent. It's going to the firemonkeys and cops for multi million dollar mobile command posts and trailers full of NBC gear and first responder training. Despite the rhetoric, EMS does not even fall within the scope of that "support". That's exactly why we have to extricate ourselves from this abusive family we call "public safety" and throw down with medicine.

Total bullshyte. There's already too much money being spent on "first responders" as it is. The problem is not money. The problem is where the money is being spent. It's going to the firemonkeys and cops for multi million dollar mobile command posts and trailers full of NBC gear and first responder training. Despite the rhetoric, EMS does not even fall within the scope of that "support". That's exactly why we have to extricate ourselves from this abusive family we call "public safety" and throw down with medicine.

Damn skippy. You're dead on. It is something like 2% of the federal funding available to fire departments is also available to EMS. It drives me nuts when a fire department which does 5 structure fires a year buys a brand new truck with all the bells and whistles every 5 years. One of the few good ways the gov is spending training money is through DHS/FEMA funded classes which bring instructors in to run classes at no expense to responders. We've had a number of these classes in NY and they've been great. The other good spending I've seen is at the Center for Domestic Preparedness and New Mexico Tech both of which provide all expenses paid training but even those programs are almost entirely LE/FD oriented. EMS can benefit from some of the classes but it is clear we are still a bastard child.

Well considering I am a firemonkey...

In a small community like the one I work in, we can use all the help we can get. And so far, we have caught a few good breaks. I don't know the funding protocols behind other city/county/state run EMS departments, but I assume they are more eligible for federal/state support than a privately owned ambulance company/corporation. The state of Alaska has been very generous in terms of EMS support.

As for overpriced fire response vehicles? We don't set the price tag. When it comes to being prepared in a place where you are your only additional resources, doing the job right can cost a lot of money.

Well considering I am a firemonkey...

In a small community like the one I work in, we can use all the help we can get. And so far, we have caught a few good breaks. I don't know the funding protocols behind other city/county/state run EMS departments, but I assume they are more eligible for federal/state support than a privately owned ambulance company/corporation. The state of Alaska has been very generous in terms of EMS support.

As for overpriced fire response vehicles? We don't set the price tag. When it comes to being prepared in a place where you are your only additional resources, doing the job right can cost a lot of money.

Two words...Sarah Palin. I wish Alaska would fall back into obscurity.

Forgive me, I'm not quite sure I understand what you are saying.

Exactly. Don't worry about it. The amount of waste on fire service equipment is astounding while most EMS programs scrape by on a day-to-day basis. There are too many fire departments getting too many shiny new fire engines while EMS, which runs 80% of the calls in this country, gets shafted. All I'm saying.

I would be very careful about what you ask for, as federal regulation of any industry has rarely resulted in a positive outcome. Look at education, DOT as it relates to truckers, VA Health Care, Medicare, Airlines. Can you name any program that the Feds have improved ?

I think taking local control away would be very dangerous.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.