Helicopter EMS Question for providers outside the USA

LOL a good post squinters, good post. That ended my night with a smile; and by the way they were requested by the med evac company in NS to come and rebuild their operation after which they were indeed booted by that same company that requested them in the first place.

I hope you sleep well tonight darling, I'll be thinking of you :wink:

Thank you for your interest's in my sleeping habits, I sleep soundly Thank You very much for your interest.

So: iMac what year was that that you refer to ? I highly suspect you were in elementry school when that NS thing occured ? DO the initials G. B. have any significance ?

OR were you too influenced by the huge marketing machine OR have you do you have inside information that should be like to be shared ?

cheers

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read someone spoke of ORNGE....don't hold your breath about the takeover and grand plans just yet....wait and see how it all plays out first.

pay your pilots a salary not by mile or call and just ask them to do a weather check. Keep it safe.

I read someone spoke of ORNGE....don't hold your breath about the takeover and grand plans just yet....wait and see how it all plays out first.

pay your pilots a salary not by mile or call and just ask them to do a weather check. Keep it safe.

snakemedic: I think its a bit more complex than that, just imagine one Base for ORNGE competing for the call volume of another base ... but this is the typical situation from what I gather in the US ... correct me if I am wrong please.

When will Government in countries with a social service network ie public health care (its IS their wallet in most cases one way or another) get it into their heads that ANY "privatization of services" under ANY "guise" for ANY services delivered to the public does cost more to the system than operating directly under a Governmet department ...

It would be very interesting to see the actual numbers, budgets and capital expendatures levels of care around the globe ... why reinvent a wheel or model that has already been successful, in most cases we cant look across a border or a pond to see how its done, what do the do in Israel, OZ or NZ for example ?

Quoting Mobey... again, no side note, evidence based practice in fact!

Side note: Out of the 6 people whom we sent flying in 2008, only 1 actually went straight to surgery for internal bleeding, 1 went to ICU for chest injuries and the other 4 were discharged the same or next day!

However, every single patient that was in pain when we picked them up stayed in pain, all our codes stayed dead, etc, etc.

Perhaps a research study paper on a cost analysis or mortality/morbidity outcomes ground transport vs rotary wing transport rural ... that could take the some of wind out of the rotors ....

BTW: I do not believe the very flawed OPALs (antiquated now) again look to the future:

1- Pain management, hugely improved.

2- Thrombolyics on-car, they do this in the UK.

3- Proper RSI drugs available to "play fair" in comparision with GPs in Rural ERs (to capture Airways)

4- Hypertonic Saline ++

These could make a huge impact to decrease mortality and morbidity for the ALS provider (RURAL) in Alberta Canada, as a proffession we should strive for improvement in delivery of services and look to a future not past Ambulance Drivers that we have been called for 3 decades .

I say AGAIN there has never been a "GOLDEN HOUR" this has been concept has been fabricated to promote Rotary Wing operations in the US, with spill over elseware world wide. In Alberta there's has never been such a critter anyway well unless you can be grounded in and the "case" is already in an urban setting.

Its more like the SILVER 4 HOURS of Trauma, AND the silver tongued devils :twisted: Choppers are again just a TAXI to get an experianced ALS provider to the patient, nothing more, nothing less.

cheers

The ROC study has suspended the hypertonic saline trial (well it was suspended on them) due to insufficient proof in the risk benefit. OPALS is horribly antiquated now, but it definitely opened some eyes and questioned some assumptions. It was the start of evidence based EMS in Ontario. ROC's doing an excellent job but could use some other research groups to fill out the community. While ROC focuses on resuscitation, other groups could/should be looking at some of the other things we do pre-hospital in Canada.

I'm with you on not privatizing. With the rest of health care in Canada being public, EMS should be no exception. As a public service within Healthcare (and no matter how separate, near public safety) EMS can better find it's place within the system. That's not to say that some private services don't do an excellent job (I can think of 3 off hand) but I think public third service is the best way for Canada.

• 4 weeks later...
<snip> With time things change darling.

Yes if another Helicopter Operation bids and underbids and does not recieve the AAA Rotary contract the Canadian Competitions act could be very well called into play ... THAT would be rather entertaining to say the least.

Oh ps iMac, don't take a Knife to a Gunfight, or perhaps your smiley "wave ones ass" will make your point ...again pfft !

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you for your interest's in my sleeping habits, I sleep soundly Thank You very much for your interest.

So: iMac what year was that that you refer to ? I highly suspect you were in elementry school when that NS thing occured ? DO the initials G. B. have any significance ?

OR were you too influenced by the huge marketing machine OR have you do you have inside information that should be like to be shared ?

cheers

Yikes been a while since last being on this thread :shock:

squinters, ALL answers to your questions are available to you, nothing hidden all you have to do is take the time to ACTUALLY go there. As for your comment regarding "when did they start to hire EMTs"? YOU tell me.

and finally as for your smart *ss comments, instead of coming on the INTERNET to answer ridiculous questions you may have, go call and find the appropriate resources....or do you not know how to use a phonebook?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.