For the female EMS'ers out there

Riblett

I think generally speaking, because this is a male directed profession and you tend to see more males in authoritative positions than females, people will automatically go to that regardless of the position you are in. Patients who are truly ill don't think like adults anymore they are like children so they automatically go to power position they have been brought up to follow.

but then maybe you're really ugly and they just don't want to talk to you :lol: I'm kidding..kidding B)

It's true they start to act child like. But maybe they want to run to "mama" first. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a female on the ambulance, I have to say I have never been in a situation were the patient would rather talk to my male partner then me. Older men seem to like a younger women working on them, older women joke about having a younger man being there tech- but I think they prefer having a women, young men and women also seem more comfortable with a women. I have been questioned for my age- being young (they never asked for someone else though) but that is it. As well the majority of EMT/Medics that I know are women. This is just my experience.

Okay, I know this post is old, and the paper has probably long since been done, however I'll weigh in.

First of all, you want to talk about discrimination in EMS - try the horse industry. It's 10 times worse. I was in it and still am to some degree and people constantly make the comment to me "you're responsible for breeding stallions?" It gets really old and the sexism is all because women menstrate and they think the horses will go after them - something I've proven wrong over and over again. Slowly very slowly the mindset is changing. After working and being in that industry for several years prior to EMS it was actually a relief to move into the EMS sector, I found it more welcoming. I was the only girl out of all 3 classes offered (which ended up equaling about 75 people), and currently work in an all male dominated service which is about 150 guys. Doesnt bother me in the least. I can lift with the guys and can definitely hold my own. I would expect that if I couldn't to be discharged just like anyone else. I had to pass the same physical test as the guys and I've worked fire as well which forced me to pass the same tests. No special treatment here, nor do I expect any different from anyone. My theory is, if you can't do the job get out which applies across the board to girls or guys. I've had some male partners I could out lift, and yes being short has had it's disadvantages, but its not the weight difference that's an issue, it's the height and would be the same problem with girl or guy my height. As far as partners, I've been in stations with male, male female, and female compositions for partners and the majority of places I've worked will not ride two females together because it's just not a good mix.

As others have said, never have I felt looked down on because I was a female. There have been instances where being a female has been beneficial such as with rape or OB patients. Also, sometimes a patient who is wanting to fight with the guys will back down and I'm able to resolve a situation much easier than they might have simply because of the don't hit a female mentality (on the same token, when it comes down to it, if I need to kick butt I can with the best of 'em). I work in a rural area that definitely has the barefoot and pregnant mentality among it's citizens and frequently I get interesting looks or questioning from my patients. I let my skills speak for me, not my mouth. I think that does more than anything as it does for any medic.

Does sexism exist? Sure it does - the last female that worked here was fired and they weren't keen on hiring another because the last one was "too prissy". I changed their mentality a bit, but their not ready to go out and fill the place with them, though I definitely don't think it has held me back. I have progressed through the ranks same as anyone else, feeling no benefit or condemnation because I was female. However, I think too many people get caught up in the mentality of "I'm a women I won't get a job". Though one valid comment to this effect - employers are hesistant to hire a young female for one reason and this has been stated to me several times. They are afraid of them getting married, having kids, resulting in maternity leave and possibly leaving afterwards. Though I have yet to have this be an issue with getting a job and I've worked all variations of EMS, the majority male dominated. Maybe others have not had this luck, but I've been okay.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.