For the female EMS'ers out there

Riblett

However, with that said, I have somewhat of an issue with working with women. Not all women, just a couple of the ones we have at the service.
Good point. The women that people at our company bring up that they wouldn't mind working with (because they do their share of the work, etc) also seem to be the women who say they don't working with other girls.

So it seems to be more of a dislike of a mindset (I let others do the work for me, I don't like getting dirty, etc) that people dislike...and it just statistically seems to be prevalent in the women in our company.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP said “So everyone feel free to weigh in on your experiences, why you think this is, and how/if you try to combat it. If you would rather not post, PM me.”

I have read over the posts in this thread, some several times, to try and understand where each writer is coming from.

When I originally wanted to work in EMS (over 25 years ago) I was told to become a nurse because only men become paramedics. I did not want to be a nurse… so I went a completely different career path. For those who think that sexism is bad in EMS, they should try commercial banking…. I could rant for pages on sexism and discrimination against female managers – from wages to benefits to dress code to outright sexist comments from co-workers and supervisors.

I have been in EMS for 12 years. I cannot think of a specific incident where I experienced sexism during that time.

I feel that if a woman wants to be treated as an equal, she should be an equal… If I want to do the job, I had better be able to do the job, whether it is lifting, or another part of my duties. Pulling the “I am female, so I can’t lift” or “I can’t do that because I will break a nail”… it doesn’t matter….. neither of those are acceptable, and people aren’t sexist for treating you differently then, they are treating you differently because you aren’t pulling your weight.

Dustdevil said “In my experience, those who get overlooked usually bring it upon themselves by failing to take control, and/or not projecting an image of confidence. And it's too easy to blame it on sexism, or being young or small. Don't enable your own failure. Learn to take control instead of blaming others for not giving it to you.”

I agree wholeheartedly with that.

Hammerpcp said “Are we denying that prejudice exists? And if not then why are we trying to discredit any example of it occurring?”

No one is denying that prejudice exists, and no one is trying to discredit it. I find it interesting that you gave several examples of how a male co-worker offended you, but you did not explain how you handled the situation, other than the one who was calling you “dear” and “honey” you asked to stop. Is it because you tolerated the behavior and did nothing to correct it, and then used their behavior and your inaction as an excuse of sexism? Stand up for yourself - and in the situations you described, I hope you did.

Hammerpcp said “I don't believe that men have no right to an opinion on this topic. I just don't put any merit in it until proven otherwise by the individual. For example, I would be interested in hearing what Michael had to say, and maybe Dust if he's taken his meds. Lone star and sirduke on the other hand can keep their opinions to themselves ”

That is a disappointing comment… that was a blatant attack on other posters… commenting on Dust taking meds, and Lone Star and sirduke keeping their mouths shut is unprofessional – the very thing you are accusing others of being. if you can provide a valid reason for your comment, do so… but you are as guilty as the people you point fingers at with a comment like that.

So far, the majority of posts to this thread have been from men, and they have all indicated that they are ok with women in EMS, and they have given valid reasons for the issues they have had with specific women, without blanketing all women in EMS as being the same.

Sexism in EMS does exist… as it does in every other field… however, I do feel that it is something that is not as widespread as some would like to believe. I also feel that some individuals take every comment out of context and turn it into a sexist remark when that was never the intention of the other person. I also believe that some who feel that they get discriminated against or feel that sexism is an issue in their station, that there are larger issues involved – professionalism, respect, self-worth, job performance – all play a role.

Personally, I would rather work with a man than a woman. With men, if there is an issue, you get it out in the open, fight about it if necessary, and then solve it and it is over. With a woman, you can fight about it, and you think you have solved it, and 6 months later it comes out of nowhere to bite you in the ***.

Just my 2 cents.

That is a disappointing comment… that was a blatant attack on other posters… commenting on Dust taking meds, and Lone Star and sirduke keeping their mouths shut is unprofessional – the very thing you are accusing others of being. if you can provide a valid reason for your comment, do so… but you are as guilty as the people you point fingers at with a comment like that.

In Hammer's defence, she definitely knows me well enough to make that comment. :lol:

All good on the meds here! :lol:

Girl

–noun 1. a female child, from birth to full growth.

2. a young, immature woman, esp. formerly, an unmarried one.

3. a daughter: My wife and I have two girls.

4. Informal: Sometimes Offensive. a grown woman, esp. when referred to familiarly: She's having the girls over for bridge next week.

5. girlfriend; sweetheart.

6. Often Offensive. a female servant.

7. Usually Offensive. a female employee.

8. a female who is from or native to a given place: She's a Missouri girl.

9. girls, (used with a singular or plural verb) a. a range of sizes from 7 to 14, for garments made for girls.

b. a garment in this size range.

c. the department or section of a store where these garments are sold.

Female

–noun 1. a person bearing two X chromosomes in the cell nuclei and normally having a vagina, a uterus and ovaries, and developing at puberty a relatively rounded body and enlarged breasts, and retaining a beardless face; a girl or woman.

2. an organism of the sex or sexual phase that normally produces egg cells.

3. Botany. a pistillate plant.

–adjective 4. of, pertaining to, or being a female animal or plant.

5. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a female person; feminine: female suffrage; female charm.

6. composed of females: a female readership.

7. Botany. a. designating or pertaining to a plant or its reproductive structure that produces or contains elements requiring fertilization.

b. (of seed plants) pistillate.

8. Machinery. being or having a recessed part into which a corresponding part fits: a female plug. Compare male.

Woman

verb, adjective

–noun 1. the female human being (distinguished from man ).

2. an adult female person.

3. a female attendant to a lady of rank.

4. a wife.

5. the nature, characteristics, or feelings often attributed to women; womanliness.

6. a sweetheart or paramour; mistress.

7. a female employee or representative: A woman from the real estate agency called.

8. a female person who cleans house, cooks, etc.; housekeeper: The woman will be in to clean today.

9. women collectively: Woman is no longer subordinate to man.

–verb (used with object) 10. to put into the company of a woman.

11. to equip or staff with women.

12. Obsolete. to cause to act or yield like a woman.

–adjective 13. of women; womanly.

14. female: a woman plumber.

—Idiom15. be one's own woman, (of females) to be free from restrictions, control, or dictatorial influence; be independent.

:shock: WOW...holy crap.....

OK, so here's my two cents: WOMEN, GIRLS, CHICKS, FEMALES......get over it! :roll:

If you are pointed out as being incapable or inadequate at your job, its probably because YOU ARE!!!!!!! Don't go blaming it on other people, like my new, green female partner does. She has an excuse for EVERYTHING! She thinks everyone is out to get her because she's a female, and its not. It's because she's not right for the job. It has nothing to do with her having a vagina!!!!!!! It has to do with her being an idiot.

Jesus, to use the excuse of sexism for not getting the job done is just plain ridiculous.

:roll: So with that out of the way, I feel that sometimes people are just plain ignorant. These ignorant people are not just against the feminine field workers, but probably towards ALL persons who aren't like them. They're cynical and ignorant, or perhaps just naive. You cannot blame an elderly person for the way they were brought up. If they look at the older member on the crew, the male on the crew, its because of their upbringing; they don't know any better. You can change this by politely acknowledging their 'mistake' and correcting them in a fashion that isn't offensive or embarrassing. If you don't you're just another part of the problem.

Now yes, I have come across people who are just plain sexist. But ask yourself this.... how did they become this way? Wasn't it from the lessons/ role models of their past? It isn't genetic, it's cultural. Be a role model yourself and attempt to teach them what they did isn't right. If they don't want to learn, then they're obviously not worth your time, so why get all huffy about it? Unless your life is ultimately jeopardized by their actions and even with the attempt(s) to change it, is it worth getting bent out of shape?

The bottom line is this.........at the end of the day, when the job is done, did you do your best? 8)

I am a paramedic. I am NOT a blonde, sexy, tall, female, white, Christian medic...... I am just a medic.

i ran into an issue like this, one of my partners in NJ was a 4'10" bond female and when we shoed up on scene some people were like " you going to need help?" i smilesand said "hang out and watch" turned out to be a code and all hands on deck i got the revves and we did what we hd to assisting als. medics gathered their staff so we coul motivate to the ambulance ad some people hung around to assist one tried pushing my partner over.

ok when you have 4'10" blong woman the last thing you do is push her out of the way cause now your just asking..............begging for a fight. she told him to get lost her and i lifed the pt secured and the stretcher and moved. carrying the stretcher outside down 5 steep jersy city type steps, no prob.

what i learned is never reasd a woman like a book......you do not know whats inside. turned out she also knew a few martial arts and almost dropped a emt volly for being an idiot......in nj its a common thing. any way lets et past the sexisim of women they are able to do the job. much more now than say 10 years ago.

i like my behind i just dont like a proctologist remoeing a foot surgically!!!

Man, I had the perfect post going and for some reason my 'puter re-booted on me. Enough to p!ss off the Pope.

But to make it short. To me the perfect crew would be a three man (person) crew with at least one woman. On some calls it takes a "woman's touch". There are certain times a woman needs to be present. It can also decrease the possibility of a complaintent in court claiming (falsely) of any kind of indiscretion.

Many times, especially if there's been a rape or assault, the patient may be untrusting of a man.

I could go on but I think I made my point. Like I said, I was keeping this shorter than my original post.

One in awhile we did have a few gals that did have trouble lifting a patient. It wasn't that they weren't strong enough or tall enough. Let's just say "something's got in the way."

The only time I wanted to smack a partner was after a call. We were lifting a patient into back of the ambulance. The gal was on one side, a guy was on the other and I was at the feet. Later on the guy came up and asked me if I noticed anything. I was like "Notice what thing". He explained that since he was on the opposite side of the cot, when they bent over he could see right down the gals blouse (shirt). He was making a big deal of it. He even pointed out that her bra was see through. At the time I was a Paramedic, but sort of middle management. If he would have made the same comment about six months later, when I was management I probably would have gave him at least a week's leave of absence or something. I don't know. But for some reason that comment really bothered me.

Now the private service I worked for we all worked very closely. The sleeping quarters were more or less co-ed. Us full timers had our own beds. But occasionally you'd start to crawl into bed and you find out someone else was there. For the most part we had a great relationship together, all of us. If it was a gal you'd just go ahead and go to sleep, no problem. But if it was a guy, someone would wind up on the TV room in a lousy Lazy-Boy. That didn't happen too often, but when it did there wasn't any problem.

The boss, I mean the "retired" boss did start to say something when we were all comfortable with each other enough we'd even change clothes in the same bunk room. He wanted to put a stop to it. He was afraid that eventually we'd start to shower together. Actually we had a few married couples and couples dating each other, he was a little late for that.

I look back now and I know things were inappropriate and should have done differently. But hey, at that age we didn't look at it that way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.