For the female EMS'ers out there

Riblett

I have heard stories about how females are treated by male partners or patients. I have to admit, I have never experienced this. I get along very well with my male partners. They treat me with respect when we are on a call. Back at the base we joke around and dish it back and forth. Neither of us are ever offended by the other. I must also admit that many times fire and PD will begin relaying information to me instead of my male partner. I accept the information and then relay it to him. Part of this may be because I know many of the fire guys, but I think it's also because my male partner goes directly to the patient and begins patient care.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. I assure that my partner knows that' date=' if they are taking lead, they need to do so actively. That means getting to the scene ahead of me, and immediately taking control both verbally and physically. If they get there behind me, or get there but don't take control, they FAIL as a lead medic[list']True. True. I remember when I started, even though I was "attendant" (versus driver) partners usually ended up doing the assessment because I was too slow and lacked confidence and scene control. Instead of taking it personally, I just worked extra hard at getting better at it.

I remember feeling surprised when I started working with newer people and found myself "overruling" them (usually only on critical patients, as I'm all for allowing them to stumble through it slowly for learning experience). I felt even more surprised when I started leading on calls with people senior to me. Now, I've gone back to just leading if I'm the patient-person OR if I see them defer to me (I think some feel embarrassed somehow?) OR if they don't give a flip about EMS, I'll let them just drive and do rest myself (except vitals) :)

BUT as far as the female topic, I'll add that ALL the *new* female FD medics/EMTs I've ran with have been basket cases. ALL of them. They're rushing everyone on-scene, "go go go, come on, she needs that line NOW", talking over their senior partners who are trying to offer calm suggestions, making the newer EMTs and even medics nervous making them screw up from rushing to much. I don't know if it's symptom of trying to prove themselves...or caring a bit too much?

I will ALSO say that the *experienced* female medics I run with are definitely the better medics. They tend care more, listen better, interact with other personnel better, and most importantly for me, they're not assholes and I actually find myself enjoying running calls on a social (not just medical) level.

BTW, Dust has a good story of female partners and station showers . . .

If a medic is on scene, and doesn't actively take charge; they will be 'overlooked' regardless of gender, stature or size.

Control is not given, earned, or asked for. Control must be actively TAKEN!

This isn't a place for those that are timid/shy!

Excellent true points. You can't be bashful or worry about peoples feelings. You have to step up take charge or everyone including the patient patient suffers.

As a student it was suggested to me by a male police officer that was in the back of the truck with me, that I should stand on the bench seat and do a strip tease since some of the lighting in the back reminded him of his favorite club.

I had a partner that would not stop calling me honey and dear. I asked him to stop. I tried to explain the concept of condescension to him. He wouldn’t stop.

Frequently on scenes fire dept. goes as far as pushing me out of the way of a lift.

Most men have no grounds to post on this topic. Not as if they are speaking with any first hand knowledge in any case. Unfortunately the perpetrator or accomplice is almost always completely blind to the gravity of the misdeed.

Let's call girls, women. And only call them females if we are speaking specifically about reproduction.

Equal treatment is not something one should be ashamed to ask for and to expect. This topic is relevant and needs no excuses to be discussed.

Most men have no grounds to post on this topic. Not as if they are speaking with any first hand knowledge in any case. Unfortunately the perpetrator or accomplice is almost always completely blind to the gravity of the misdeed.

Let's call girls, women. And only call them females if we are speaking specifically about reproduction.

Your a female? Your profile say's male. So if you are a male you should heed your own advice.

As to female vs woman vs girl. If you get offended by any of those terms being used you are to sensitive.

You can call me man, boy, male, jerk, etc, just don't call me late to supper. It is time everyone quit having to worry about being so politically correct.

Most men have no grounds to post on this topic. Not as if they are speaking with any first hand knowledge in any case.

Two things:

1) I think it is funny that most of the replies on this thread have so far been from men...

2) Regarding your post above, women are not the only ones who face sexism. Just one example that pertains to the health care field is the acceptance of male nurses. Just because Most* men do not face issues of sexism, does not mean that their opinion does not matter, which is what I think you imply from your post.

Gender issues and the treatment of people based on gender is absolutely something that both sides not only have a right to comment on, but something that NEEDS input from both sides. One of the biggest mistakes that feminists or women who have been hurt by men make is they flee to all-female circles and make men the "outsiders" implicitly, thereby removing potential for actual dialogue and progress in the realm of gender prejudice.

I have seldom felt targeted for improper or condescending treatment due to my gender. The times that it has happened to me, I have stood up for myself, confronted the individual in question, and continued on my merry way.

I think if you get hung up on the gender aspect of it, you tend to get tunnel vision. Blinders, so to speak. You start interpreting EVERYTHING based on your gender, rather than your performance, your personality, etc. So I usually don't even think about it. I am Wendy, a person, a green field EMT, a woman, a college student... I am not Wendy the female person, the female EMT, the woman, the female college student.

Equal treatment is something all persons deserve regardless of gender. However, you will notice that many men confronted by "women's agency" type groups are not treated as equals, but rather as mindless oppressors... guilty simply by virtue of gender. That doesn't help anyone... it's not a "male problem" as to how females are treated, it is a *societal* problem that both parties factor into.

Gotta run to class... more later.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

A guy I went to school with was awful for filtering everything that happened to him day to day as homophobic with the one that comes to mind most being when he was not allowed on the bus with his dog (little ratty, nippy thing). He argued with the guy and the driver eventually just closed the doors and drove away. He came into the team office and started going off about how he was goinf to file a discrimination claim and a friend of mine (also gay) just put down his book, looked at him from the couch and said, "Michael, it's not cause you're gay. It's cause you're a f***ing a**hole." Didn't make a difference I'm afraid.

Recognizing and attempting to eliminate true discrimination is an excellent goal and should be not only the concern of HR, but every provider. But it shouldn't be used as a crutch or shield by anyone against their own limitations or failures that exist seperate from that.

My maternal grandfather grew up on a native reserve, with all the troubles that entails. He had to overcome alot to leave, maintain a steady occupation and raise a family. Those were his troubles though, not mine. I've lead a blessed life free from that. I don't pursue status benefits or land claims because I do not need to be propped up. I stand just fine on my own. But I don't diminish those who do.

Your a female? Your profile say's male. So if you are a male you should heed your own advice.

As to female vs woman vs girl. If you get offended by any of those terms being used you are to sensitive.

You can call me man, boy, male, jerk, etc, just don't call me late to supper. It is time everyone quit having to worry about being so politically correct.

You should heed my advice. Semantics are paramount.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.