For the female EMS'ers out there

Riblett

I am writing a paper on sexism in the healthcare field (I didn't pick the topic) and wanted to get some feedback on experiences from female providers, especially medics. Guys feel free to weigh in as well.

I have rarely encountered anything direct. I have found that more often than not I have trouble getting a patient to talk with me initially. Most of them, especially among the older population will go right past me and try to talk to my male partner or the guys on the fire department. This could just be my perspective or it could be attributed to my age (21) and small stature. But I see the same thing with my older female collegues. Most of the time I just brush it off. But I have, particularly in my more abrasive days, been tempted to say "Hey, do you see my paramedic patch and badge? Yeah, I'm the medic (or intermediate in the past) so quick trying to explain your in depth cardiac history to the firemen or my green EMT partner, because their eyes glazed over a long time ago!"

I have also noticed that this does not happen just among the older population, but even among the younger female patients. I see this even with college students; and you know those "Women's Studies" courses have been filling their head with the idea that sexism is rampant, women struggle constantly, every one is equal, etc.

So everyone feel free to weigh in on your experiences, why you think this is, and how/if you try to combat it. If you would rather not post, PM me.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I think most guys at our company enjoy working with girls. Being totally honest it's usually a fun shift, since there tends to be more joking around. Put two guys together and it might be a fun shift or just a boring dry one.

BUT as far as girls as permanent partners, I have heard many guys say they wouldn't want a permanent girl partner mainly because most can't lift or handle their weight....both in terms of physical strength and also in terms of jumping in getting dirty and not waiting for someone else to lift for them. Every conversation on this leads to listing off a number of girls who aren't prissy at all and will lift like the guys and don't expect any special treatment.

Women should be home barefoot, pregnant, and cooking me my meals. :twisted:

I actually prefer several of the girl partners I have worked with. Only once have I ran into a lifting problem and that was just because she was to short to get cot up high enough to place in ambulance. As far as patient care the females seem to be able to be aggresive while still showing more compassion.

I second Spenac's post. Some of the best partners I have had, Have been women. I think to much testosterone in an ambulance is a bad thing! :P

The only time I had a problem with lifting was when my partner was pregnant. I was the one that would not let her lift heavy loads. But, in an emergency, she was always there to cover my back and help out.

I don't think there is as much of a sexist problem in EMS. FD's on the other hand, that is a whole different ball game!

Im not a female, and most deffinatley not a lady lol but if you dont mind my posting an opinion:

Im also in agreement with the others. Some of my best partners have been female. Ill say that there are some that cant lift... but you know something, different body structure aside, theres no reason that cant be changed. Ive been in a fire department where the Ladder, EMS and Rescue Leutenants were all females... and Im not talking (with all respect ladies) older "butch" type women either. They were all younger attractive femanine types, and they all knew how to do their jobs very well. Hell, the Ladder LT was 19 years old! I dont particularly agree with her being an officer so young but thats a different topic.

In terms of guys being guys (but having to worry about it when a female is around) Ive seen women dish out trash talk and other obscene things just as well. That of course isnt entirley relavant or important... but the fear of sexual harrasment has never been a problem in the stations and companies Ive been a part of. If people are offended they usually speak up or go elsewhere.

~~~~

Sorry, I got caught up in my rant and forgot to reply more so to what you were asking. Personally, I rarley see a patient who seems to be biased twords personel on scene. I wont go as far as to say its just you... Im sure it does happen.

Perhaps I am still somewhat of an "Old School" guy, but years ago, I was working for the first time with one particular female EMT. Our call was in a building that looked like it was an invite for a mugging within.

As we were waiting for the elevator, I was wondering how I might defend her if anything should happen, as I, then as now, am not a warrior in any sense of the word.

Just then, I heard the "snick" of a lock back type knife locking open! I slowly turned to see what was going down behind me.

There was my partner, putting the blade of the biggest folding knife I had ever seen, opened, into her equipment holster.

I'm going to need to defend her? Uh, nope!

I read your post to my wife, who has been in ems almost as long as you've been walking.

She came up with this;

Many years ago she was told that women were not welcome in ems and couldn't handle the physical requirements. Her response to that was " Bite Me! "

Now there is about an equal amount of males / females in the places we have worked and now work. FD is still more males than females.

A lot of things come to mind when you describe your situation.

1. Look in the mirror; what do you see (be objective as what a pt sees )

A. Do you look like a teenager ( we have a 25 yof that wears her hair so short that it has been asked how old is that young

man that is driving the ambulance ).

B. Do you assert yourself on scene. If you are the paramedic and it is your pt then you need to take control of the situation.

If you don't someone else will, up to and including the pt.

2. Some of it may be sexism or it may be age based ( If your partner is older than you the pt may assume the older person is in charge) This occurs everywhere and the only recourse is to explain to the pt who you are.

Hope this helps! :D

As far as my pt's go. I haven't really encountered an issue where the pt is drawn more towards my male partner....nursing staff, yes....occasionally, but not always. The question that seems to be posed to me at the beginning of EVERY shift is "how is your lifting". I have never worked with a female partner, always been a male. I expect that is the companies standard as it likely is for most. A male and a female can lift more then 2 females. IMO!!!

Only time I have run into a "problem" is when I get a pt that is more then 225. I do have difficulty lifting any more then that and with a pt that size I usually get my partner to take the foot end of the stretcher. I often work with men that are quite a bit taller then I am so we do sometimes have "issues" getting the stretcher at the level we want.....position 6-7 is just above my waist........so it's obviously going to be easier for my 6'2 partner to lift the stretcher to position 7-8 then it is for me. I also find that some of the male employee's tend to bark orders at the females....not all, but a select few. That's usually where I tend to butt heads with the guys at work.

I have had male pt's that have been aggressive, whether they would have been any less so with my male partner, I don't know. IMO, it is common knowledge, that we as females are working in a "male dominated" environment and we as females seem to always need to "prove ourselves" , both to our pt's and our male counter parts. There are 24 crew members where I work and only 6 of us are female. We are out numbered and always will be. We need to work harder and prove ourselves to get what respect we get.

EMS has never been a "female " workplace, any more then police or fire have.....its' just human nature for the man to gain the respect before a woman ever will. That's just my opinion, I'm sure everyone else will have a different opinion.

None of my female partners have ever ranked up anywhere among "the best". In fact, in the top five all time worst partners, females hold two of the dubious honours. But I don't think that has anything to do with their gender. They just sucked.

I don't have any problem at all with female partners in general, and never have. And while I have heard many stories like those above, about getting ignored or not being respected, I have only rarely seen this happen. I attribute this to two things:

• 1. If I am not the lead medic on a scene, I don't act like the lead medic on the scene. That means I hold back a few paces from the lead medic, with my hands full of gear boxes, and not panning the faces in the crowd like I am looking for answers.

2. I assure that my partner knows that, if they are taking lead, they need to do so actively. That means getting to the scene ahead of me, and immediately taking control both verbally and physically. If they get there behind me, or get there but don't take control, they FAIL as a lead medic

• In my experience, those who get overlooked usually bring it upon themselves by failing to take control, and/or not projecting an image of confidence. And it's too easy to blame it on sexism, or being young or small. Don't enable your own failure. Learn to take control instead of blaming others for not giving it to you.

If a medic is on scene, and doesn't actively take charge; they will be 'overlooked' regardless of gender, stature or size.

Control is not given, earned, or asked for. Control must be actively TAKEN!

In the event that there are two people of the same license level, the one that will be 'attending' to the patient should be the one that takes control, with the second to assist if necessary.

I've worked with both males and females that have either pulled their own weight, or they have failed ...nothing to do with sexism, gender/age bias or anything like that.

If you go into a scene as timid as a mouse, you'll naturally be treated as such, and your 'qualifications'/competency/experience will ALWAYS be questioned, by others on scene and yes, even your patient.

This isn't a place for those that are timid/shy!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.