Negligents at the rodeo

Timmy

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We then promptly power walked to the bar and had a drink to calm down. We also decided we’d seen enough, we didn’t want to provide a witness statement in the coroner’s inquest.

Do coroners investigate more than deaths in Australia? Yes, it sounds like questions could be raised about the care provided but I think that it is going over the top to make the implication that it was life threatening.

I feel your pain timmy.

Ive worked many a horse show and other various sporting event. Fortunatley its all covered by REAL healthcare providers. The shows I worked at contract my old ambulance agency for 1 EMT and the duty vehicle. We are issued a radio by the ranch which can contact any of the officials. One day though I was sitting in the duty car outside the ranch and was called for a girl who fell from a horse and was kicked or stepped on (cant remember). I grabbed my gear and was told to stand down that the patient is coming to me. Moments later a golf cart pulls up, the guy driving says he "used to be an EMT-I" and explained to me what happened. Asked him why he didnt try to exercise any sort of c-spine precautions and why he brought her to me, all I got was an "I dunno."

Of course, you are from Davie, FL where the downtown still had hitching posts to tie up the horses until the 90s. It is also the home of Davie Pro Rodeo.

Yep, I used to rule that place in my younger years! :D

If you guys want to see how it is done at the pro rodeo level. Check this out http://www.msmsinc.com/ut

It was started by Dr. J Pat Evans and is now overseen by Dr. Tandy Freeman. Those in Texas, may know who they are.

Dr. Evans did both my knee surgeries and did my shoulder surgery. I would trust no one to touch my shoulder, but he talked me into it. :shock:

I have heard this "thing" of anyone injured at a racetrack, a rodeo, or the circus asking to be "walked off," and is called the "Machismo" syndrome. They don't want to give the viewing public the downer of seeing anyone really hurt, and is supposed to be a tradition.

I have worked many a rodeo, and, yes, they walk it off. I have seen cowboys ride with broken legs and in neck collars (dr. prescribed). They are a tough bunch. I had a young man end up with busted ribs and fractured arm at one event. His dad told me he was not getting transported. He had been hurt worse than that before and he would be hurt worse again. When my son was working for the rodeo he told me that if they had a qualifying ride and left in the ambulance, they could be fined as well as losing their winnings.

Glad my son never got on the bulls, but I sure do have respect for those who are able to.

...When my son was working for the rodeo he told me that if they had a qualifying ride and left in the ambulance, they could be fined as well as losing their winnings...

Someone misinformed you son. 8 seconds is 8 seconds. I've spent a huge part of my life around rodeo, even went to "clown school" before they became bull fighters.

Walking off is about pride and balls. I mean, what else is there? 99% of these guys leave their families 10 months out of the year for 10 grande a year. You have to have something to be proud of, because your sacrafices are idiotic. I mean, when someone says, "What do you do for a living?" You say, "I'm a bull rider." How do you respond when they say, "Why?" Yep, better protect the balls image....

Walking off is an important part of the tradition. To take proper care of them you'll have to fight them, and should you manage to win? Expect to get your ass kicked in every rodeo bar for the rest of your life... :-)

Doesn't change the fact that they need to be competent to refuse, and I'm obligated to give them care if they aren't. Tradition be damned. They have thier job, to be as macho as possible. I have mine. To keep them safe when they can't do so themselves.

I love the rodeo tradition, but see "cowboys" in about the same vein as hosemonkeys. Lots of hero worship but very little substance, with the rare exception. Yet in both cases the rare exception can be something to behold.

Dwayne

Someone misinformed you son. 8 seconds is 8 seconds. I've spent a huge part of my life around rodeo, even went to "clown school" before they became bull fighters.

Walking off is about pride and balls. I mean, what else is there? 99% of these guys leave their families 10 months out of the year for 10 grande a year. You have to have something to be proud of, because your sacrafices are idiotic. I mean, when someone says, "What do you do for a living?" You say, "I'm a bull rider." How do you respond when they say, "Why?" Yep, better protect the balls image....

Ok, let me explain this again. You do get some young dumb riders that it's all about being macho and not showing pain. They get over that quickly. It has nothing to do with macho or big balls. It has to do with two factors.

1- We have learned to deal with pain and injury on our own. What you may think is a serious injury, is a daily occurrence for us.

2- We do not get sick leave, if we don't compete, we don't make money.

BTW- I made between $60-80k a year and raised my family just fine on it. Don't know where you got $10k from?

Walking off is an important part of the tradition. To take proper care of them you'll have to fight them, and should you manage to win? Expect to get your ass kicked in every rodeo bar for the rest of your life... :-)

This is not 1950. Cowboys are not drunken idiots anymore (pro that is, not local losers) Rodeo cowboys are athletes. Most are in better shape then other athletes. Yes, if I refuse your care, you would get your butt kicked for trying to force it. That would happen if you tried at an MVC too.

Doesn't change the fact that they need to be competent to refuse, and I'm obligated to give them care if they aren't. Tradition be damned. They have their job, to be as macho as possible. I have mine. To keep them safe when they can't do so themselves.

I am always competent, unless I am unconscious. If I am unconscious, by all means work away. If I tell you I am fine, then back off, that is my decision.

I love the rodeo tradition, but see "cowboys" in about the same vein as hosemonkeys. Lots of hero worship but very little substance, with the rare exception. Yet in both cases the rare exception can be something to behold.

That judgment comes from someone who does not understand the sport or get to know the athlete. Most pro cowboys have college degrees to fall back on. They attained them by going through college on scholarships. They were smart enough to use it for an education. Rodeo is a business and you won't survive if you have no clue on how to run a business.

Dwayne