Knife/Multitool for EMS

Quakefire

Since the ambulance has a tool box, as required for licensure.. I really wouldn't need to carry any tool devices on my person. Nor a knife, seat belt cutter, window punch, etc.. As, two of the three are on the list of minimal equipment..

As for the knife, we have a device called "Scissors". With "Scissors", the need to have a huge knife on your belt, for a mental pt. to grab and kill you with, is virtually not necessary. If for some reason the oxygen tank didn't have a toggle, b/c it either fell off (which does happen), or it just doesn't have one.. there are cylinder wrenches in the ambulance. We carry them, because yanno.. It's an Ambulance.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

American 02 bottles must be weird! In Aussie our 02 regulators have a key thingo chained onto them, can’t really be removed unless you cut it off. I’ve need heard of carrying one on your belt lol…

I carry the Hinderer Firefighter Rescue Knife made by Gerber. Its a knife with a O2 key built in and also has a flip out seat belt / clothes cutter. I love this knife. The fire store sells it for $68.99 that is one of the lowest prices I've found.

www.thefirestore.com

Since the ambulance has a tool box, as required for licensure.. I really wouldn't need to carry any tool devices on my person. Nor a knife, seat belt cutter, window punch, etc.. As, two of the three are on the list of minimal equipment..

As for the knife, we have a device called "Scissors". With "Scissors", the need to have a huge knife on your belt, for a mental pt. to grab and kill you with, is virtually not necessary. If for some reason the oxygen tank didn't have a toggle, b/c it either fell off (which does happen), or it just doesn't have one.. there are cylinder wrenches in the ambulance. We carry them, because yanno.. It's an Ambulance.

So Frank Burns Like and funny too, your living the dream :D

Run back to the gut wagon for an 02 wrench? or a real knife to cut through motorcycle body armour ... try the Rescue One by Meyerco 3.0 inch blade, in the link the blade is 4 +, I don't need one that long and for a non threating blade locking "blunt tip for prying" (try that with scissors with rings stuck in the floor of a helo at a fire and just defensive wounds if your dumb enough to get disarmed also has a slot that does not damage the O2 stem, a tungston tip fer windows that one needs to open in a pinch, one hand opening and serrated edge works proximal well as a cut knife.

http://www.knifepros.com/html/meyerco/mrescueone.htm

ps Frank Burns I am telling your mommy that your running with scissors LMFAO>

With me, it has never been the tank stem-valve, I seem to have worn out a few o2 wrenches in my time. This is both the metal and the plastic varieties.

While I carry the Leatherman, I have, in over 35 years in the field, used it to open a tank maybe 5 times.

(I also used to carry a 10 inch adjustable wrench, for changing the tanks or regulators of the bolt on type equipment. Adjust it smaller, and it can be used as replacement for the o2 key with the stem-valve, just nowhere near as light.)

Spend more than two bucks on your scissors, and you can cut leather, kevlar, or lite metals with them. We have a nifty pair of shears on the ambo, no idea where they came from. I used them to cut barbed wire and thick leather boots, all in one call.

I carry this in my bunker gear. No idea what kind of knife it was, it was free, but it will cut damn near anything.

Picture18.jpg

Has a lil emblem on it w/ a screwdriver, hammer and wrench on a shield. It will go through the metal on a car door, cuts plastic or lite metal like butter, I've used it as a saw.. I was trying to cut neoprene LDH to refit a 5" coupling. It was going through good, despite the hose being stiff from the snow. So, I got lazy and pressed harder. The blade slipped, hit my glove.. and stuck into the frozen dirt..

Didn't even realize that I had cut through a $75 pair of leather structural fire gloves and to the bone of my thumb, nasty cut, burned like hell, but the edges were clean...

I was trapped, hanging upside down from my seatbelt, in a wrecked vehicle once. Some Good Samaritan stops and asks if I'm alright. I told him I was, but that I needed something to cut my seatbelt with. He said, "sure thing! I'll be right back!" A few seconds later, this guy shoves a total friggin' Rambo knife under the vehicle to me, lol. I swear the thing was over a foot long, and had these big serrated ridges on the back, just like Rambo! It sure sliced through that seatbelt with ease though!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.