Knife/Multitool for EMS

Quakefire

Ok so I searched through the forums and didn't find quite what I need, I'm looking for a knife/ multi tool to keep on my person for work. Ability to use as an O2 wrench, and have a seatbelt cutter are a definite plus, as well as a sheath that will fit on my duty belt ( I dont like having too much heavy crap in my cargo's) Yes there is usually a belt cutter and O2 wrench in the kit but, like I said "usually"

What do you folks use/recommend?

I like to have some kind of knife with a reasonable blade on my person because well, lets just say EMS has reduced my faith in apartment building locks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leatherman, Gerber, and SOG make some good looking stuff. I use the Leatherman line myself. I have seen, advertised next to the above, in, of course, the Galls catalog, a scissors that has a cutout for use on the stem of an O2 portable tank, but as I have never used it, can give no product review.

Be aware that, of those agencies still in the dark ages and using tanks without built-in toggles, many of them take a very dim view to knife whackers using multi-tools to do the job with. It screws up the stems, making the use of an O[sub:e16654c05d]2[/sub:e16654c05d] wrench increasingly difficult over time. There is nobody that needs oxygen so critically that they cannot wait until you get a proper O[sub:e16654c05d]2[/sub:e16654c05d] wrench. And if you start carrying an alternative, that will only become a crutch to enable you to take shortcuts, and start blowing off the right way just to justify your $70 dollar multi-tool. Do the job right. Use the right tool. If you can keep up with your Gerber, you should have the professional responsibility to keep up with an O[sub:e16654c05d]2[/sub:e16654c05d] wrench too.

There are lots of good uses for a multi-tool in the field. But using it as an O[sub:e16654c05d]2[/sub:e16654c05d] wrench is not one of them. Intentionally damage my equipment like that out of laziness, and I'd fire you.

I never use my multitool to crack the oxygen open, thats what the oygen wrench/key is for.....

i have used it for the screw driver and a door wedge/stop.

we all said "tool".... :)

I've heard a lot of compliants on this site about lost or broken 02 wrenchs. I don't get it. I can think of perhaps one occasion that an o2 wrench has gone missing from the kit, and it was found about 10 mins later on the floor of the ambulance.

Is this "missing wrench" problem just self justification to carry a cool multitool?

i have an O2 key i put on my belt on a keychain, I never lose it.....sounds like lack of responsilibilty

Coincidentally, the reason most O[sub:e9321e2393]2[/sub:e9321e2393] keys disappear is because some EMT decided he wanted one to keep on his belt. :lol:

EMTs steal keys. Keys are now missing. So more EMTs steal more keys because they are always missing. It's a self-perpetuating problem.

Coincidentally, the reason most O[sub:409e7c8287]2[/sub:409e7c8287] keys disappear is because some EMT decided he wanted one to keep on his belt. :lol:

EMTs steal keys. Keys are now missing. So more EMTs steal more keys because they are always missing. It's a self-perpetuating problem.

Oh, was that your key???? That will teach you to blink.

And I havent lost one yet......

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.