7 yr olds practicing CPR

jaferd2

there has been some research on this , sadly i don't have the cite to hand, but the genral upshot was in the average class of 10 year olds most won't be able to do effective compressions while the average class of 11 year olds most would be able to do effective compressions. the techniques can be taught to under 5s - i've seen a 2 year old effectively inflate the 'lungs' of a 'baby' mannequin ... but don't expect their efforts to be effective unless the patient is a paed as well...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Richard,

The only reason I shot the video was to illustrate the ease of use and effectiveness of the CPR mask. I wanted the video to be short which is why the ratio is inaccurate. My little girl was practicing chest compression but she was not pushing hard, merely going through the motion.

I agree that chest compression should be trained on manikins but the mask is best illustrated on real people. There is no inexpensive manikin currently that has a space between the lips and gumteeth to demonstrate the mask. Plus, it is actually very easy to seal effectively on a manikin with traditional face mask and face shields. It is much more challenging, however, to seal on a real person, especially with facial hair, secretions, facial anatomy, etc.

My point was to show how easy it is to use the mask as a barrier device as opposed to the currently available face mask out there.

Bill

there has been some research on this , sadly i don't have the cite to hand, but the genral upshot was in the average class of 10 year olds most won't be able to do effective compressions while the average class of 11 year olds most would be able to do effective compressions. the techniques can be taught to under 5s - i've seen a 2 year old effectively inflate the 'lungs' of a 'baby' mannequin ... but don't expect their efforts to be effective unless the patient is a paed as well...

I agree. My girls would not have been able to perform effective chest compression but I think older teens and high schoolers should be able to do effective compression. I don't think they need to be certified to perform and some cpr is likely to be more beneficial than no cpr.

Bill

Welcome to the site Bill. We hope you hang around and contribute more to the forums and simply did not come here to promote your product, even if it was low key.

Interesting, one of the inventors of the product is named Bill.

If you will notice, I have removed the brand name from your postings. The link which displays your product has information in the viewer comments if anyone wishes to check it out. If you wish to advertise on this site, we will gladly welcome you, provided it is done through the proper channels.

Again, we hope you are around in a week or two and continue to contribute to our wonderful site.

FINALLY.... someone was thinking the same thing that I was. Not that the product doesn't provide a good service, but the thread was becoming one long commercial.

JC

I'm glad I got to the end of this thread and found a few others that thought the good doctor was trying to push some new product. We could use a few more docs around here to keep you ambulance drivers inline. Let's hope he sticks around and has something to contribute.

Welcome to the site Bill. We hope you hang around and contribute more to the forums and simply did not come here to promote your product, even if it was low key.

Interesting, one of the inventors of the product is named Bill.

If you will notice, I have removed the brand name from your postings. The link which displays your product has information in the viewer comments if anyone wishes to check it out. If you wish to advertise on this site, we will gladly welcome you, provided it is done through the proper channels.

Again, we hope you are around in a week or two and continue to contribute to our wonderful site.

Yes, I'm the same person. :$

I would like to stay for comments and suggestions but you know my opinions will be a bit biased. :)

Bill

So this leads me to ask, EMT Basics are you smarter than a 7 year old?

My new T-shirt - "EMT Basic - So easy a 7 year old can do it".

Interesting looking product. We have a couple other people on the site that have designed or improved existing products. Maybe you guys should get together to defray expenses of pushing these items.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.