7 yr olds practicing CPR

jaferd2

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Job!

Many years ago my wife and I used to let our daughter sit in on cpr classes and practice it even though she was too young to get a card. One evening I was talking to my wife on the phone while they were eating dinner. ( I was on duty five miles away at quarters ). When she began coughing then dropped the phone. I yelled to my partner we need to go because it got quiet on my end of the phone. When my 10 year old daughter got back on the phone and said " mom was choking but I did the heimlich

( I think she said hiney lick :lol: ). She's breathing now and will call you back. THEN SHE HUNG UP! :shock:

This was before cell phones were available in our area so I stayed put and my wife called back and told me what had happened.

The life they save could be yours teach them well.

I think it's great to teach the little one's CPR. Occasionally you do hear of a save due to do young'un helping someone. But I do think that the age limit on getting a card should still remain the same. IMHO

I once read, heard or looked at something which said a six year old kid did CPR on his teacher. I dno where tho sorry.

If you ask me CPR should be part of something every kid has to learn at school; we did it here but only if we wanted to and CPR classes here aren't free like I've seen in the States, they sting you about sixty bucks to take a class.

Unless something has changed recently (within the last 2.5 years).... there is no age limit to a person who could take CPR...We had a 4 year old take a class once at a free event.

JC

Unless something has changed recently (within the last 2.5 years).... there is no age limit to a person who could take CPR...We had a 4 year old take a class once at a free event.

JC

I know there's no age limit to take the class, but I think in IL it's 12 or 14 yrs. old to actually be certified and get a card.

Even though young kids can be certified, the only reason my 7 yr olds can do the mouth to mask is because of the xxx CPR mask. It would be impossible otherwise for them to perform mouth to mask with other CPR mask or barrier devices, especially if I had a full beard. The xxx mask when inserted into the mouth, is sealed readily and quickly without losing precious seconds trying to seal.

Here is the link again and please note the quick transition between breaths and compression that is possible due to this mask, especially nice if it's single provider CPR. I think part of the reason cpr is not effective is due to precious time trying to seal between compressions. With this, it's only a matter of few seconds.

I dont expect kids and even adults to perform CPR effectively with traditional CPR masks due to challenges of seal and expecially for the layperson, they would have mostly forgotten how to seal properly. With this mask, however, it is simple enough to make it work even for kids, imho.

bill

jaferd2, I understand protocols change, add, subtract, and modify over the years, but I had not been informed that actual compressions for practice on a living person were allowed, just on manikins, as the compressions could cause problems, like broken ribs.

Please advise.

I know there's no age limit to take the class, but I think in IL it's 12 or 14 yrs. old to actually be certified and get a card.

You don't need a card to be able to do CPR though...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.