Firefighter killed in home fire

Making a mistake does not equal being stupid.

Sometimes it does. When you have all the information necessary to make an intelligent decision, yet you choose to make an impulsive and uninformed decision, against all your training and common sense, that you know could result in your senseless death, I think you epitomise the definition of stupid. In career departments, it is usually the command that is guilty of this. But in volunteer departments, where there frequently is no working command structure, it is more often the individual firefighter who makes the stupid mistake.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes it does. When you have all the information necessary to make an intelligent decision, yet you choose to make an impulsive and uninformed decision, against all your training and common sense, that you know could result in your senseless death, I think you epitomise the definition of stupid. In career departments, it is usually the command that is guilty of this. But in volunteer departments, where there frequently is no working command structure, it is more often the individual firefighter who makes the stupid mistake.

That's where all the training comes in, and you hope it sticks with them.

Our Voice

The Times-Journal

Published November 5, 2008

Often, but not often enough, our thoughts turn to real heroes.

There are those who defend are freedom thousands and thousands of miles away in war zones so intense many of us would cower at the thought.

There are those here at home. Those are police officers and the firefighters who consistently put themselves in harm’s way in an effort to protect our property or us. There is a special category, also – volunteers.

Volunteer firefighters are indeed special. They willingly give of their time, their money and their talents to secure individual homes or entire communities from disaster. Recently, one even gave his life.

On Oct. 29, Cody Renfroe, a 24-year-old former high school football player and Crossville Volunteer firefighter, ran into the fire. Those last four words speak volumes.

Renfroe did not get paid to race into danger. And, as we know, glory does not often follow such acts of bravery. Instead, many of us smile and move on with our lives. But, Cody Renfroe decided long ago others mattered. On Oct. 29, others mattered more than his life.

Renfroe never made it out of that house fire in the Painter Community of DeKalb County that day. But, we believe his spirit, commitment to others and dedication to his community certainly did.

Nothing we write serves Cody Renfroe the way he served others. Our sadness is deep, but our pride is so high. Renfroe’s legacy of service, courage and bravery, we are certain, will also be with our community.

I'm sorry... what I am about to say may offend some people... and no offense is intended. Bear in mind I write this *saddened*-- not angry.

Newspaper articles like that are what feed into the guts and glory mentality that gets so many of us killed, fire and EMS alike. I have often heard it said that the line between stupidity and bravery is a very thin one; I would like to posit that true bravery is having the skills and training to master your adrenaline response and utilize your judgment and critical thinking skills when faced with a dangerous situation.

Cody Renfroe ran into the fire. I agree, those last four words speak volumes. Doubtless the man was of stellar character and well loved by his community. But running into the fire is not heroism, it is not martyrdom, it is ignorance. Had he been confronted with the "one shot" at getting out the kids he could see and knew that there was no time save for that one chance with his partner, it might have been viewed differently. But he ran into a house fire without knowing if there were any victims at all, and instead of being a hero, he severely damaged several hearts in his community.

Unfortunately, it's often the younger members of departments that buy into the guts and glory mentality. While true to a certain extent, it is far better for one to realize that the MYTH of firefighting or paramedicine is much shallower than the rewards gained by operating within the REALITY of those fields. Until we learn to teach our younger, more headstrong men (and women, but you see men getting killed far more often for some reason) to abandon the myth and adhere to training, we will continue to see people die needlessly.

A needless death is a tragedy, and I pray that Renfroe's community and family heal from the loss they have sustained. I also hope his department and other departments everywhere heed the clear warning given by his death.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I'm sorry... what I am about to say may offend some people... and no offense is intended. Bear in mind I write this *saddened*-- not angry.

Everyone is entiled to their opinion. You state yours much more compassionatly that quoting a Bill Engvall comedy line. There is nothing funny about this situation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.