Firefighter killed in home fire

Crossville Alabama

Fort Payne Times Journal

Published October 29, 2008

A Crossville volunteer firefighter died in a house fire Wednesday in the Painter community.

According to DeKalb County Sheriff Jimmy Harris, Cody Renfroe, 24 of Crossville, was pulled from the fire. DeKalb Coroner Tom Wilson pronounced him dead at the scene, Harris said.

Harris said the fire started about 1:01 p.m. at a home at 1081 County Road 482. He said an elderly woman lived in the house. She was not injured in the fire.

Emergency Management Agency Director Mike Leath said it is unknown how Renfroe became trapped inside.

“From reports I have gathered at the scene, it was thought there was a person in the residence,” said Leath. “He went to perform search and rescue, and I don’t know if he became disoriented or what happened. When they got the fire knocked down, they discovered him and pulled him out.”

Crossville and Geraldine firefighters battled the fire for several hours Wednesday afternoon. Leath said the cause of the fire is under investigation.

Renfroe was a 2002 graduate of Crossville High School and had served as a volunteer firefighter for two years.

“He was a very, very fine young man,” said Crossville Assistant Principal Robert Richey.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad to hear but totally uneccesary.

A hero is a sandwich, that is it.

There is a reason we do not perform search and rescues SOLO, nor do we do it without RIT teams in place typically. No mention of gear either, but sounds as if he was there pretty early and made the hero dash inside costing his life. No one even knew he was inside until AFTER the fire was knocked down.

At least he is not leaving behind a young wife and small children.

My thoughts and prayers are with the fallen man's family, friends and department. However, I think this really needs to be seriously examined to keep any of his brothers from falling victim to the same fate.

It sounds like someone, not knowing the full story I shan't guess at who, screwed up.

Sucks, no matter how you look at it.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This is an email I got from one of our line officers, it has more information about what happened:

This could happen to any department, this is why drills, classes and continued training is important. Please Read! He was missing for almost an hour according to some reports.

CROSSVILLE, Ala. -- Crossville firefighter Cody Renfroe is remembered as a dedicated volunteer who enjoyed helping others.

Renfroe, 24, died Wednesday while fighting a house fire in the Painter community, between Geraldine and Albertville.

"He was a very outstanding person, a real go-getter," Kilpatrick Fire Chief Jeff McSpadden said. "He was the type to give you the shirt off his back."

McSpadden and others with the Kilpatrick Fire Department joined firefighters from Geraldine, Aroney and Fyffe as they fought hot spots in the fire at a house on DeKalb County Road 482, not far off Alabama Highway 75.

Renfroe was among the firefighters with the Crossville Fire Department that responded to the fire about 1 p.m. Wednesday.

The fire started when the flue of a wood heater failed, Deputy State Fire Marshal Ray Cumby said late Wednesday.

Cumby and another deputy state fire marshal, Bobby Rollins, were called to investigate.

It appears Renfroe, wearing the proper protective equipment, and another Crossville firefighter went inside the house, apparently to make sure nobody was still inside, Cumby said.

The alarm to the other firefighter's air pack sounded and he went out, believing Renfroe was behind him, Cumby said.

After Renfroe did not come out, it was feared that he was inside the house and unable to get out, DeKalb County Sheriff Jimmy Harris said.

Harris said a Crossville police officer climbed a ladder on the outside of the house and could see through a window that Renfroe was inside.

Renfroe's fellow firefighters were able to get him out a short time later, Harris said.

Harris said investigators with the sheriff's department, along with the state fire marshal's office, will continue the probe, although the fire is believed to be accidental.

Rollins and Cumby said Renfroe's equipment will be checked for a possible failure, but new turnouts and air pack gear was purchased this year.

Renfroe had been a member of the Crossville Fire Department for two years and wrote on his MySpace page, set for public view, that he was pursuing a career as a firefighter with a full-time department.

Renfroe was one of the mainstays of the Crossville Fire Department, an all-volunteer department, said Mike Leath, DeKalb County Emergency Management Agency director and president of the DeKalb County Fire Association.

"He was one of those who stayed around the fire station a lot," Leath said. "He was very dedicated in what he did."

Geraldine firefighter Tony Taylor said he often worked with Renfroe when the departments helped each other out.

"He was a very dedicated firefighter," Taylor said. "He was always there."

Crossville firefighters were sent back to their fire station after the fire was under control and surrounding departments assisted as the investigation was underway. Counselors were called in for the Crossville firefighters, Leath said.

For Leath, a long-time firefighter, and others who were there, the loss of another firefighter is difficult.

"This is hard," he said. "It's like losing a family member. Firefighters are a close-knit group. It affects everybody."

As Renfroe's body was taken to a local funeral home to await transport to Huntsville for an autopsy, volunteers stood watch, Leath said.

He said when Renfroe's body is returned, the vigil will begin again.

"Anytime something like this happens, that is just something firefighters will do," he said.

Leath said he is not aware of a death of a firefighter in DeKalb County in the line of duty since a Mt. Vera firefighter stepped on a hot power line while fighting a fire several years ago.

In the coming days, Geraldine, Aroney and Kilpatrick fire departments will cover for Crossville on fire calls.

"It's a tough time," Leath said. "It will be tough for days to come."

Did I miss something, but did it mention whether something fell on him, if he fell, his air tank was full, etc.? My understanding was that he was just "found in there".

I was inside with a rookie between the time of the knock-down and start of just getting hot spots and mopping up. I had to come out for some reason, can't remember exactly why, and I just knew he was right behind me. But he wasn't. When I started looking for him, he had found another firefighter team as we were coming out and he just stayed inside with them. Later on I'm the one who got "called on the carpet" for him not coming out with me. It was only mentioned to the rookie that he should have came out with me, but didn't get into trouble for it. Go figure.

Renfroe recalled by other firemen

By George Jones

The Reporter

Published November 1, 2008

The local firefighting communities lowered the jurisdictional boundaries this week in their effort to come to grips with the loss of a member in the line of duty Wednesday.

The tragic death of 24-year-old Crossville volunteer firefighter Adam Cody Renfroe, while attempting to fight a residential fire in the Painter community, remains under investigation, state Fire Marshal Ed Faulk said Thursday.

“Federal investigators will be coming next week to aid in the investigation. And with our combined efforts it is our desire to determine exactly what happened, and by recognizing precisely what led up to Renfroe’s death, preventing it from ever happening again,” Faulk said.

Faulk said the result of the investigation would be officially made known in a press release at its completion.

Crossville Volunteer Fire Department Chief Danny White, who took time from an emotional meeting with Renfroe’s fellow firefighters, summed up the tragedy by saying, “It is a great loss.”

Renfroe’s untimely death elicited a variety of responses from those who knew him, including Mike Leath, an experienced firefighter, DeKalb County Emergency Management Agency director and president of the DeKalb County Fire Association.

“This is hard. It’s like losing a family member,” he said. “Firefighters are a close-knit group. It affects everybody.”

Crossville Mayor James Johnston took time Thursday, to say, “Words at a time like this are hard to find. Cody was an outstanding and dedicated firefighter.

“He was a leader. Whenever he was at the station, he was always working and studying. He wanted to be a full-time firefighter, and was hoping one day to join a larger department.”

Johnston further described Renfroe as “one of those people you meet just one time and never forget.”

Johnston, who knew Renfroe since he was “a little kid” said, “I really appreciated him. He was special.”

The consensus by all who knew Renfroe was that he was a good firefighter who was liked by all.

Asbury Volunteer Fire Chief Albert Childress, who was at the scene Wednesday, said he understands that Renfroe and Crossville firefighter Andy Brown were the first to arrive at the burning house on DeKalb County 482.

Neighbors already had helped the home’s elderly owner, Annie Mae Morgan, escape the burning structure unharmed.

It is Childress’ understanding that Renfroe said, “Let’s go check it out.”

He and Brown, wearing turnout gear and air packs and pulling a hose, approached the house.

With the structure issuing heavy smoke and flames showing, the two volunteer firefighters, according to Childress’ information, approached the door when Renfroe asked Brown to return to the truck and get a flashlight.

When Brown returned Renfroe was not there, and the hose was lying on the ground. That caused concern about Renfroe’s whereabouts.

The fire intensified at the same time, making entry into the burning structure difficult. With no hose leading to Renfroe’s possible location, help for the trapped firefighter was stymied.

Childress said Geraldine firefighters, waiting on standby at their station to be called if needed to assist, were said to have heard over their radio Renfroe’s pleas of “Y’all come get me.”

Based on statements of witnesses at the scene, because of the intense heat, it took about 45 minutes before firefighters were able to reach the downed firefighter. Unfortunately, by the time his would-be rescuers reached Renfroe, he had died.

State fire marshal officials said the exact cause of Renfroe’s death would be released with the official report.

DeKalb County Sheriff Jimmy Harris said preliminary information tends to show the fire might have started do to a faulty flue in a wood stove.

“Nothing is official until all the investigations are complete,” Harris said. “At that time we will release the findings.”

The federal investigation, to begin Monday, is performed, in part, to ensure Renfroe’s eligibility for insurance death benefits.

A member of the Crossville Volunteer Fire Department for two years, Renfroe wrote on his MySpace page that he was pursuing a career as a firefighter with a full-time department.

In a not uncommon display of solidarity between firefighters in times like these, Geraldine, Aroney and Kilpatrick fire departments will cover for Crossville on fire calls.

Following funeral services at the Union Grove Baptist Church at 2 p.m. Sunday, Renfroe will be buried with full fire department honors Sunday in the DeKalb Memorial Gardens.

In a tragic irony, Renfroe’s dream of being a firefighter with a large department would have been realized Friday. He had applied and been accepted by the Irondale Fire Department and was scheduled to begin his rookie training with them.

The most recent deaths involving fire department personnel in northeast Alabama were 17-year-old Alethea Faye Nixon, with the Asbury Volunteer Fire Department in July 2006, and, the chief of the Hollywood Fire Department in Jackson County, who died of a heart attack while on a medical run in 2003.

Members of the Crossville, Kilpatrick, Aroney, Geraldine and Centre fire departments, as well as the DeKalb County Fire Association, will be honorary pallbearers at Renfroe’s funeral.

With the structure issuing heavy smoke and flames showing, the two volunteer firefighters, according to Childress’ information, approached the door when Renfroe asked Brown to return to the truck and get a flashlight.

When Brown returned Renfroe was not there, and the hose was lying on the ground.

FAIL.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.