Dumb things people do at emergencies

mobey

I once had a local surgeon show up on a critical trauma. We had all of our gear bags out and were working on the pt. He said he would like to help, we said ok. Then he very sincerely asked where is your crash cart? He was not as eager to help when my basic partner explained its here in the bags and the ambulance. This is the same doc that used to get mad when we medevacced trauma pts. He changed his tune that day when I asked him if he would like to assume responsibility for the pt' if so he would have to ride the 35 min to the hospital with me. No bitching about flying this or any more pts.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once had a local surgeon show up on a critical trauma. We had all of our gear bags out and were working on the pt. He said he would like to help, we said ok. Then he very sincerely asked where is your crash cart? He was not as eager to help when my basic partner explained its here in the bags and the ambulance. This is the same doc that used to get mad when we medevacced trauma pts. He changed his tune that day when I asked him if he would like to assume responsibility for the pt' if so he would have to ride the 35 min to the hospital with me. No bitching about flying this or any more pts.

I've ran into that. When I'd have a doc stop and ask if they could help the first thing I told that they would have to ride in with the patient. And actually, about 80% said, "Sure, no problem".

A few times there would be a new doc in the ER and over the radio gave us real funky orders. One doc told me to start an IV D5-1/3 NS. It took the nurse with him a minute to explain to him that we only had D5W, LR, and NS. Now some of us later on did start to carry D5-.9 NS when we started to get larger rigs and drop bags.

Oh, that ER doc, didn't stay long. He felt the ER was below him.

While walking through the ER one day, I overheard a nurse explaining to an elderly female patient that she was going to insert a foley catheter in her. She explained the whole procedure, then pulled the curtain for privacy. As the nurse began to prepare the 'site', I heard that sweet little lady's voice from behind the curtain say, "It's been a long time since somebody touched me there". I had to run out of the ER to contain my laughter!! The nurse was right behind me, as she needed a few minutes to compose herself, too!!

How many times have you been called out to 'someone bleeding'? And when you get there someone would have a gash in one of their extrimities and a "buddy" put a belt around it for a tourniquette. It never failed, especially when some amatures were doing some kind of construction project at home. :violent1:

Yeah I've been to those calls with a laceration and a shoe lace been used as a touniquet. Also how many time have you pulled up at the scene only to be greeted by the Gardi (Police) and told there is blood everywhere only to find when you go into the house you discover that you have done worse to yourself shaving.

Or another typical one is someboby has put thier fingers into the mouth of someone who is fitting only to end up getting thier fingers bitten now you have 2 patients.

Coal miners in our area seemed to make things worse. Even though anyone in any kind of supervisory position, above or below ground, had to be at least EMT-A's, you could pretty much bet that somehow someone's "treatment" made things worse.

BTW: Nothing against coal miners, at all.

Coal miners in our area seemed to make things worse. ... BTW: Nothing against coal miners, at all.

True. Change the job, with any untrained folks from that job, just trying to do either or both "something" and "not feel like they are not trying to help". They will emotionally feel better for "doing the right thing", even if it is so off the wall, the EMS, LEO and FD crews will be talking about the blunders in their trade magazines, and on forums like ours.

True. Change the job, with any untrained folks from that job, just trying to do either or both "something" and "not feel like they are not trying to help". They will emotionally feel better for "doing the right thing", even if it is so off the wall, the EMS, LEO and FD crews will be talking about the blunders in their trade magazines, and on forums like ours.

We tried to encourage the coal mine companies to teach more on what to do when an accident occurs during their orientation period than they were. Of course making everyone an EMT would not be feasible.

True, doing something may let someone feel as though they are helping and not just sitting on their hands. But they just need to know what should or shouldn't be done.

When you've done plenty of Motocross and Rodeo standbys I guess you become immune to dumb people :lol:

I can relate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.