Dumb things people do at emergencies

mobey

had a guy jump from a roof to a kiddy pool of jello. had a few fractures in his neck and was told to stop moving. He wouldn't stop so I bent down to his ear and said " if you keep moving you may sever your spinal cord and the last erection you had will truly be your last" He didn't move a muscle after that. Men and their erections eh?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a few calls for unresponsive patients of indian descent recently and found there mouths full of salt. When questioning family they just say they poured it in there. I have not been able to discover why this was done Can tell you it's a pain to suction. If any one knows why please post.

At the scene of an EDP in a SNF's cafeteria, I was standing next to one of the LEOs. He turned to me, the only person in the room:

1) wearing a baseball cap, and

2) wearing a baseball cap with an FDNY logo on it,

and asked ME if there was an ETA for EMS!

UMMM what is the problem? You are wearing fire hat and he wants EMS. I would have done the same thing. If there had been a fire then I would have talked to you.

On a different call type, why do some folks put butter or margarine on burns?

1) Why sautee a burned person?

2) WE know that when the ER or burn center crews attempt to remove the butter or margarine, the pain of the burn is going to be much worse.

Related to that, back in 1975, a doctor giving a lecture to my VAC insisted we treat burns by placing a burnt extremity into ice water. We couldn't get him to understand the concept of there not being an ice machine on our ambulances to provide ice, in the middle of the beach, in the middle of the summer.

Yet another:

Some 25+ years ago, a doctor who got his start in a VAS was earning some pocket change by teaching American Red Cross CPR to some ER doctors in a hospital that wanted to upgrade to being a trauma center.

"You find a patient who is breathless and pulseless. What do you do?"

"Defibrillate him!"

"Try this: You are walking on the beach at Coney Island, and find a patient who is breathless and pulseless. What do you do?"

"I'd defibrillate him".

"Tell me, doctor, do you go swimming with a defibrillator stored in your swim suit back pocket?"

Clueless, and needing to buy a vowel!

[Richard B wroteq---------------------------------------------------------------------

Please specify which type Indian, one originating in India, or a "Native American/First Nations" tribes-person.

(First Nations refers to someone from the tribes in Canada)

Richard they originated from india I believe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.