Life changing event's in EMS: miss you BOZ

Laura Anne

This thread is in memory of Michael Garvin aka "BOZ".....39yrs old, died of a cardiac event just after finishing a 12hr shift where I work. He was a very energetic, happy young man who didn't smoke, didn't really drink, exercised and coached his 9yr old sons sports games. His career as a Paramedic was above and beyond. He will be loved and missed by all who had been blessed to know him.

That being said, have any of you ever had an experience in EMS where it opened your eyes and/or changed your lifestyle?

For me.....I was sick with bronchitis and had laid off the cigarettes for the next few days. Then I got the news that Mike had passed away. Since hearing of his death, I have opened my eyes to the thought of how fragile life really is....how things can honestly change at the drop of a hat, and how I can better myself as well as others I love. I think of Mike and know will never smoke again.

I am truly sadden by your post and offer condolences to you and the other members of your service as well as his family. I bet he would be happy knowing the positive that came from his passing That being you have chosen to lengthen your life by quitting smoking.

May GOD bless you all in your time of sorrow.

my experience came as the result of a motorcycle accident. I had ridden motorcycles for years until that day I transported a female pt who was a passenger on a bike and had lost her left leg mid thigh from being struck by a car. I decided that day time to get rid of bike as I would never want to go through what I had witnessed.

I had a patietn going for a liver transplant

she asked if she was going to die.

I told her I didn't know

She then told me "I know I'm going to heaven" and I asked how she knew that and she said that the guy at the end of the bench seat told her. I asked her who the guy was and she said it was jesus. She said "He told me to tell you that you are going to heaven too" There was no-one at the end of the bench seat but she was seeing him clear as day.

She died shortly thereafter while waiting on a liver.

I have no doubt that she is in heaven right now.

Nope, not Canadian..... he was a co-worker of mine down here in Pennsylvania.

As if this wasn't enough, a Plymouth Meeting K-9 was killed in the line of duty and is having a memorial this Wednesday.

The German Shepherd, Andy, was a loyal officer who served the department and his handler, Lou with nothing but the best a pup like him could give. He unfortunately was shot and killed while chasing down 3 bank robbery suspects fleeing the scene. He did his duty and paid the ultimate price. I work Lou's wife, Tara as an EMT here at Plymouth and would ask for anyone to please say a prayer for them as they go through this hard loss in their family.

In regards to this thread, I didn't swear off of anything or have a life changing experience from it, but just wanted to ask for all to spare a kind thought for Plymouth Pd, especially Lou. Thank you.

I read about the death on the Second Alarmer's website. Bad week for EMS & Fire in PA; one company in the central flats of the Comm lost two members. Always throws everything off balance. We work with these people, and when you realize they're gone it can be very difficult to deal with.

What a good story! Made me get all sniffly.

TO op... I am sorry to hear that my prayers and thought go out to Co Workers Friends and Family.

I had a patietn going for a liver transplant

she asked if she was going to die.

I told her I didn't know

She then told me "I know I'm going to heaven" and I asked how she knew that and she said that the guy at the end of the bench seat told her. I asked her who the guy was and she said it was jesus. She said "He told me to tell you that you are going to heaven too" There was no-one at the end of the bench seat but she was seeing him clear as day.

She died shortly thereafter while waiting on a liver.

I have no doubt that she is in heaven right now.