Job references?? Do they matter?????

Don1977

From what I've done before is call all three references. If any of the three are inconsistent then I would call them back and ask for more info. And sometimes it will intrigue me enough to bring them into an interview, of which I can get a good first impression of them.

The use of secondary references is used in places that require more security from what I understand. A good practice to get a better idea of the applicant. Most places simply don't take the time to call the first references much less a second set.

This is very true in the private ambulance business. It's been a very, very, very long time since I applied for a job with a private ambulance company, but when I did, I know they all used those generic job applications from Office Depot, and paid little attention to anything on there except for your qualifications and job history. Last time I was hiring for a private ambulance, I eliminated the generic applications and would not even talk to an applicant who showed up without a resume'. If the resume was good, then I'd give them a several page application that I designed that got more specific information than is usually listed on a resume. From that, I would almost always check references, unless the applicant was a known quantity.

Even in private EMS, it seems that the resume' is becoming more of an expected standard than in days past. Are you guys still seeing a lot of the generic applications out there? Are you seeing employers -- private and public -- asking for or accepting resume's? I'm talking about actual EMS employers, not private ambulance transfer companies. In my experience, with them you just fill out the generic resume and either do or do not get hired on the spot.

This is very true in the private ambulance business. It's been a very, very, very long time since I applied for a job with a private ambulance company, but when I did, I know they all used those generic job applications from Office Depot, and paid little attention to anything on there except for your qualifications and job history. Last time I was hiring for a private ambulance, I eliminated the generic applications and would not even talk to an applicant who showed up without a resume'. If the resume was good, then I'd give them a several page application that I designed that got more specific information than is usually listed on a resume. From that, I would almost always check references, unless the applicant was a known quantity.

Even in private EMS, it seems that the resume' is becoming more of an expected standard than in days past. Are you guys still seeing a lot of the generic applications out there? Are you seeing employers -- private and public -- asking for or accepting resume's? I'm talking about actual EMS employers, not private ambulance transfer companies. In my experience, with them you just fill out the generic resume and either do or do not get hired on the spot.

Also, in the land of EMS, people usually know each other from different services, maybe even better than they know you. Between trainings, seminars and social events, a bad name will get around.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.