Job references?? Do they matter?????

Don1977

If this is in the wrong place please move it...

I have a question for anybody out there.

Is getting a job refernce really worth it??

If you apply for volunteer or paid job and list 1 to 3 references, would you really give a bad reference for that service/company to call?

Honestly, I would not, obviously you are trying for a job, would want someone to give you a bad word????

What is your opinion?? Should we ask or give references????? I think its pointless UNLESS you call past or present employer.

If you are a lousy prospective employee you won't be able to find 3 references to use. It's just a quick start for HR to check references. If you're short on references or your references are bogus the application you put in gets round filed and it saves them the time and effort required to bring you in for an interview.

If you are a lousy prospective employee you won't be able to find 3 references to use. It's just a quick start for HR to check references. If you're short on references or your references are bogus the application you put in gets round filed and it saves them the time and effort required to bring you in for an interview.

True.......

It serves several useful purposes. As an applicant, it gives you the opportunity to show "who you know", that may be of benefit to you. As an employer, it gives you the opportunity to ask the applicant "who you know" without actually asking it.

You know what they say; you can tell a lot about a person by the company they keep.

When I call those people, I will sometimes ask them to give me another person to contact who might know the applicant. You can also ask those people questions that they don't really know the "right way" to answer, and they'll often give you different answers than what the applicant told you. Ask about his educational and career goals. If the applicant told you he wants to get a degree in EMS and make a career of it, but his best friend tells you all the guy's ever wanted to be is a firemonkey, you've just found out something significant! And the reference thought he was saying something nice about the guy, lol.

That's an interesting tact to take in using someones references Dust. I've never known someone to do that. I like the idea of doing whatever you can to get a better idea of what a prospective employees career aspirations are.

It serves several useful purposes. As an applicant, it gives you the opportunity to show "who you know", that may be of benefit to you. As an employer, it gives you the opportunity to ask the applicant "who you know" without actually asking it.

I think Dust brings up a valid point. EMS, at least where I'm from, is a very cliquey organization. I know several people whose job placement I can attribute simply to the people they know or don't know. In fact, there are more than a couple organizations within EMS/Fire Depts that act more like frats or political steering committees than anything else.

Not everyone will always have an "in" with these types of organizations, but you may simply know someone who does and not even know it. Put people on your application who are respected in the field and who you have developed a good relationship with. A supervisor might say, "Hm...I went to college with Richard. If he'll vouch for this guy then he can't be all that bad."

But at other agencies nobody checks the references. They look that the app is filled in completely and if they like you after visiting with you they hire you. So technically your references could be bogus. Of course if they are and they look for grounds to fire lying on the app could come into play.

But as the others said use people that are respected in the field if at all possible. Now if you put Doc Bledsoe on it you better darn well know him and him know you.

I always find it amusing to see the people that are put down as references. Ideally for a new candidate EMT or medic I'd like to see their instructor as a reference, preferably someone that precepted them, and also a former employer of any type ('cause we understand new in the field you haven't had a chance to show your EMS work history, but work history in general will give me a pretty good idea). Now for a proven EMS worker, I want two prior employers - one of them to be recent however current employer isn't required as I understand some people are looking, but don't want to rock the boat at their current job just in case it doesn't work out or they decide they don't think my service will be a good fit for them. However, don't give me a reference from a job four years ago unless you just left it ! Also, give me one personal reference - I want to know something about you and someone I can ask the tough questions to. Finally - I want someone related in EMS education - preceptor, instructor, etc so that I can see what your education motivation is. This gives me a pretty good place to start. You give me fake references, I'll check the numbers with you just in case you gave me a wrong number, but you falsify something on the app - I won't waste my time any further. If you'll lie about that what makes me believe you won't lie on other things? Also, letters of recommendation look very favorable for you, but I promise I will be contacting them for a reference as well !

When I call those people, I will sometimes ask them to give me another person to contact who might know the applicant. You can also ask those people questions that they don't really know the "right way" to answer, and they'll often give you different answers than what the applicant told you. Ask about his educational and career goals. If the applicant told you he wants to get a degree in EMS and make a career of it, but his best friend tells you all the guy's ever wanted to be is a firemonkey, you've just found out something significant! And the reference thought he was saying something nice about the guy, lol.

The use of secondary references is used in places that require more security from what I understand. A good practice to get a better idea of the applicant. Most places simply don't take the time to call the first references much less a second set.

Also, in the land of EMS, people usually know each other from different services, maybe even better than they know you. Between trainings, seminars and social events, a bad name will get around.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.