Whackerdom LI style

scott33

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mamaroneck is in Westchester County, not Lawn Ghiland.

Anything east of the Hudson is Lawn Guyland.

Just like anything north of North Carolina is New England. :wink:

When this thread first appeared and I read just the first few pages of the "article" and I kinda, sorta, avoided it. I was going to leave it up to some of the big dogs like DD, Spenac, JP, 4cmk6, and others. I'd peek in every now and then. But for some reason today I'm just in a certain mood and thought that maybe it was time for this big dog to bark.

What nerve some, if not all, those posters had. Granted, some of the more lengthy posts I sort of scanned over, but from what I picked up it just seems ridiculous. Sometimes I didn't know to laugh or cry, or both.

The one thing I picked up was the comparison of hours between EMT classes and "beautician" classes. Yes, "beauty" classes seem to have more than expected. But I don't think it was discussed how much beauticians do have to learn.

One of my best friends took a two year course for whatever the actual name of "beauty" class is actually called. I was amazed at what they had to learn. They had to study dermatology heavily, the science of hair itself, they had to pass a separate class and test for CDC (Center for Disease Control) in case of lice, dermatitis, and other possible contagious diseases. And the list goes on. They don't just learn how to cut here and snip there. And in some colleges they have to do a rotation, as a nursing student would do, with a Dermatologist. Has anyone taken that into consideration?

But that is just justifying why there are so many hours for that profession. I'd say 90% of those posters had no idea what they were talking about. Some may know something about certain subjects in EMS, but you know what they say, " A little knowledge can be dangerous". Is it just me but did it seem that a few were just trying to "out do" others? Instead of trying to impress with their actual knowledge, but baffle them with their BS?

It seems like they are taking just what class room hours that are mandatory and that you take a test and you are automatically an EMT, or even a Paramedic. I guess they forget about the clinical time, the ride time, study/preparation time, etc. I know I'm going to get slammed for saying this, but actually, even when you get your patch, you might be an EMT but you need the field time to truly become a seasoned EMT. And I don't think those whackers know that once you become an EMT-I or Paramedic, you have your provisional time before becoming certified.

EMT's, no matter their level are life savers. Not because they put in their hours, have all kinds of patches, passed all kinds of classes and tests, but because they are determined enough to learn things to the best of their abilities. And for many, it's not a job or a volunteer dedication, but to those serious enough, it's a life style.

Also, is it just me but did it seem that some had a "holier than thou" attitude? And it just burns me up when an EMT-A (nothing against career EMT-A's) think they can do just as good if not better job of patient care than a Paramedic and that becoming a Paramedic is a waste of time. I might be wrong, but that's how some of the attitude appeared to be at times.

I'm jumping off my little soap box now. Let the bashing begin if lead to.

The one thing I picked up was the comparison of hours between EMT classes and "beautician" classes. Yes, "beauty" classes seem to have more than expected. But I don't think it was discussed how much beauticians do have to learn.

Bingo! You just validated our entire point! And that point is how much EMTs should have to learn that they simply cannot because vollies keep the hours as low as they possibly can. Truth be told, what someone should have to learn to start laying their hands on human beings at the most vulnerable moment in their lives should be many, many times more than what they do learn. And that point is demonstrated by those hourly comparisons we made, which require that every other professional -- healthcare or otherwise -- that lays hands on human beings, greatly exceeds the 120 hour minimum entry level requirement for EMTs. That should be a source of embarrassment and shame for every person in EMS. If it's not, then you have no shame or pride.

The only other healthcare job that requires comparable training hours is the nurses aides that EMTs love to bash (you see, we all bash someone!). The difference is that nurses aides don't perform the potentially dangerous techniques that EMTs do, they don't make life and death decisions, and they don't work without licensed supervision, which far too many EMTs do. Are you guys proud of that?

One of my best friends took a two year course for whatever the actual name of "beauty" class is actually called. I was amazed at what they had to learn. < ... > Has anyone taken that into consideration?

Apparently, everyone but you has. :lol:

...you know what they say, " A little knowledge can be dangerous".

Way to go! Again you make our point for us. You're making this way too easy, bro! "A little knowledge" is all you receive in an EMT course, and that is really using the term quite loosely at that. So wouldn't your caveat apply to the very thing you are attempting to defend?

It seems like they are taking just what class room hours that are mandatory and that you take a test and you are automatically an EMT, or even a Paramedic. I guess they forget about the clinical time, the ride time, study/preparation time, etc.

We forgot nothing. What you forgot is that, at the vast majority of all EMT schools, all that is included in the 120 hours. You're trying to add something to the equation that generally does not exist.

I know I'm going to get slammed for saying this, but actually, even when you get your patch, you might be an EMT but you need the field time to truly become a seasoned EMT. And I don't think those whackers know that once you become an EMT-I or Paramedic, you have your provisional time before becoming certified.

Absolutely correct. The problem is, again, the vast majority of those who become EMTs in this country never get that. Many never even use it. They never get a job or even a volly position in EMS, therefore no experience. And the vast majority end up working in a system where they are simply thrown in with another EMT-B with little or no experience to fumble their way through things, either just doing what everyone else does, or making it up as they go. They never get true experience, side by side, with higher educated and experienced professionals, who can reinforce their foundation as well as expand upon it. So what happens is, they not only stagnate professionally, they regress. They forget half the stuff they learned in school because the people they work with don't remember it either. How much professional growth do you expect a volly EMT -- who works with nothing other than other volly EMTs -- gets in a career? Damn little. They just continue to do the same thing they've always done, building upon a shaky foundation with bad habits passed down by burnouts, for their entire tenure. No growth = no professionalism. No professionalism = no profession.

EMT's, no matter their level are life savers. Not because they put in their hours, have all kinds of patches, passed all kinds of classes and tests, but because they are determined enough to learn things to the best of their abilities. And for many, it's not a job or a volunteer dedication, but to those serious enough, it's a life style.

Horse crap. I've never known a doctor who took his work home with him and made it a "lifestyle". No patches, stickers, tattoos, belt buckles, t-shirts, EMS prayers on the wall, or "ER" ringtones on their cellphone. Does that make them less than "serious" about the practice of medicine? Give me a break. This "lifestyle" horse shyte is just that: horse shyte. Not only is it a significant factor in perpetuating the extremely poor public image we have, but it is also a major factor in the burnout that perpetuates the high turnover rate in our profession. So how in hell is it a good thing to make EMS a "lifestyle", especially when it is nothing but a hobby or temp job for you? What earned you (not you in particular) the right to make EMS your "lifestyle"? 120 hours of monkey training and hanging out at the firehall a couple hours a week? A two week first aid course is the crowning achievement of your (again, not you in particular) life? Seriously, dude, anyone who makes EMS their "lifestyle" needs to get over themselves and get a life.

I pose the same question to you that the original poster of the volly EMT thread -- and every loser over on that LI discussion board -- has conveniently refused to answer. That is, don't you, your family -- including your children -- friends, and neighbours deserve better in a life or death emergency than an inexperienced part-time first aider with no professional education, and responding only when he/she is available or in the mood to do so? Or do you happily accept that as "good enough" for your wife, mother, or youngest child?

resemble

A Jewish mother introduces her two children: "The doctor is three, and the lawyer is two."

At a charity concert for Jewish orphans given by a famous Israeli pianist before a packed audience. Right in the Main Auditorium of the London Festival Hall, in the middle of the slow movement of a Beethoven Sonata, an elegant matron in the audience jumps to her feet.

"Is there a doctor in the house?" she cries.

"Yes madam," came the reply from several rows back, and a man gets to his feet. "I'm a doctor," he says.

"Doctor !" beams the matron. "Have I got a daughter for you!"

A man walks into synagogue with a dog. The custodian runs up to him and says,"Pardon me, but this is a House of Worship! You can't bring your dog in here."

"What do you mean?" says the man, "This is a Jewish dog. Look!" And the custodian looks carefully and sees that in the same way that a St. Bernard carries a brandy barrel around its neck, this dog has a prayer-shawl-bag around his neck. "Spot," says the man, "Daven!"

"Woof!" barks the dog, stands up on his hind legs, opens the prayer-shawl bag, takes out a skullcap, and puts it on his head. "Woof!" says the dog again, opens the prayer-shawl-bag, takes out a prayer-shawl, and places it around his neck. "Woof, woof!" says the dog, takes out a prayer-book, half-closes his eyes, and starts to rock back and forth, chanting prayers.

"That's fantastic!" cries the custodian, "Absolutely amazing, incredible! You should take him to Hollywood, get him on television, get him in the movies; you could make a million dollars off of him!"

"Oy!" exclaims the man, "You talk to him. He wants to be a doctor."

Bah-dahm-pahm!

Horse crap. I've never known a doctor who took his work home with him and made it a "lifestyle". No patches, stickers, tattoos, belt buckles, t-shirts, EMS prayers on the wall, or "ER" ringtones on their cellphone. Does that make them less than "serious" about the practice of medicine? Give me a break. This "lifestyle" horse shyte is just that: horse shyte. Not only is it a significant factor in perpetuating the extremely poor public image we have, but it is also a major factor in the burnout that perpetuates the high turnover rate in our profession. So how in hell is it a good thing to make EMS a "lifestyle", especially when it is nothing but a hobby or temp job for you? What earned you (not you in particular) the right to make EMS your "lifestyle"? 120 hours of monkey training and hanging out at the firehall a couple hours a week? A two week first aid course is the crowning achievement of your (again, not you in particular) life? Seriously, dude, anyone who makes EMS their "lifestyle" needs to get over themselves and get a life.

I pose the same question to you that the original poster of the volly EMT thread -- and every loser over on that LI discussion board -- has conveniently refused to answer. That is, don't you, your family -- including your children -- friends, and neighbors deserve better in a life or death emergency than an inexperienced part-time first aider with no professional education, and responding only when he/she is available or in the mood to do so? Or do you happily accept that as "good enough" for your wife, mother, or youngest child?

I think you must have missed understood what I was saying, Dust. I was talking about those who do become an EMT and get all that stuff and strut around but when asked to take an additional shift and won't do it or say they can't go on a call because they were in the middle of a bar-b-q or something. Comparing them to those who more than likely are scheduled 3/4 of the time on the roster sheet, will drop everything when they get a call, miss family things due to calls, you know those type of things that not only makes changes in the new EMT's life but their whole family. THAT'S what I was meaning by "life style".

I guess I over stated "life style" due to my own personal experience. When I first got my paid EMT job, it was 24hrs. a day/ six days a week. You LIVED at the ambulance service. No shifts. Anything you did or went was in an ambulance or one of the service vehicles. Then on my one day off, I'd go to my folks, get my laundry done, and since my father was the coordinator for the volly serv. there, if they got a call and I felt like it, I'd go to. I know, my own fault. I tend to forget that very, very few had done that.

Also, what I meant by life style was that if paid, or especially a volly, you had that pager and no matter what everyday task you are doing, when it goes off, that becomes priority in your life and you gotta go.

Who knows, I probably still didn't get my point across like I meant to.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.