Stair chair - Stryker vs Ferno

mobey

We are in the market for a new stair chair, just wondering if you guys can provide the pros/cons for either of the named brands.

Also wondering how often you guys use them? We have the old crappy orange ones now and rarely use them.

Obvioustly we are looking at the new style with the tracks, and know little about them.

Maybe I'm biased, but in general I just haven't see a Ferno do anything that a Stryker doesn't do better or safer.

The only downside to the tracked stairchairs as I see it are the carries where using the tracks isn't worth it- the three-stair, 4-stair kind of jobs that are too much to use the stretcher on. In those cases, and in going UP as opposed to down, the tracks are just more weight. Carrying it up to the floor can be a pain in the ass too because there's no easy way to carry it.

But the first time you get a patient you have to carry, but really don't want to, you'll be glad you've got it.

We have a variety, but the Stryker is the best, we have 2 different kinds of stryker ones. 1 with tracks and one w/o tracks. the one w/ tracks is good taking a pt down stairs, but to take them back up, not suppose to use the tracks.

The only downside to the tracked stairchairs as I see it are the carries where using the tracks isn't worth it- the three-stair, 4-stair kind of jobs that are too much to use the stretcher on.

With just two responders and a very heavy patient I have found the tracks useful even just for the small sets of steps.

Thanks so far guys & gals.

We don't do alot of carrying down stairs to be honest, mostly just the 3-5 steps down the front step or deck.

hmm... Maybe we should be looking at the new model without the tracks.

How much extra weight are the tracks?

Do the tracks "retract" out of the way if not in use, or do they always stick out the back side?

Get the one with the tracks. Even on 3-4 steps, they are much easier on the provider and the pt. I use the stryker all the time. I set the power stretcher outside the house and use the stair chair to bring the pt out to it.

Yes, the tracks stay upright, until you need them. They are nice for moving in tight houses.

The Ferno is a copy of the Stryker design. We have used the Stryker for 4 years now and it might well be the greatest piece of EMS equipment ever.

It only weighs about seven pounds more than the model without the tracks. Once you use it you will never want to be without it. :lol:

Service carries both the stryker and ferno stair chairs with tracks. I feel the ferno's are lighter, although I could be completely wrong. But my preference is the strkyker, because it's easy to find the levers and bars and such. Personal Pref. really.

Sometimes don't use the stairchair all day. Sometimes use it 5 or more times.

Our agency carries, both, but after using both, I feel like the Ferno (non-tank tracks kind) is a liability, almost. So easy to have a spill on one of those...though I realize the Stryker ones cost thousands each.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.