Cell phones and EMS vehicle operators.

Medic117

This isn't about the cell phone but its pretty close. Recently the RCMP has installed lap tops into their vehicles. I notice a few times that they seemed alittle preoccupied when they were stopped around town. I decided to scare one one day by sneeking up and baning on the car. (I thought it was pretty funny but I was alone in that thought) I then pointed out that if they are busy on a computer then wouldn't it be a safety issue hence my prank. Well today I was talking to an officer and I was informed that in the cities they are driving, talking on the radio and also trying to get the files done on the computer while driving. Now if that isn't a safety issue.

We also have cell phones in our car with the only purpose it to keep in contact with dispatch and other emergency responders. The attending is the only one that is to use it while the other drives. I have a personal one that I carry but with call display I don't answer the call unless it is safe to do so and I never answer it while on a call. I guess commen scence is hard to find these days.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cell phones?? At one time we had a couple of transfer units that all we had were very short distance portables and a couple of pagers. Say if we were far west of town and we got a call. The portables couldn't reach us. So they used the pagers. It was a couple of months when we finally got vehicle radios.

So needless to say, I was before the high tech of cell phone use. We did finally get some right after I got on the FD. You know, the ones the size of a brief case. They were pretty much useless.

Now for me to chime in on today's use, or at least IMHO. Cell phone use should be used for work such as dispatch, directions, messages, etc. And only held by the passenger. If need be they can use the speaker phone if both needs to hear. NO personal calls, especially if a patient is on board. Even if between calls, only authorized calls to be made. I'm sure any service can establish what is allowed or not allowed. NO texting unless for business as priorly mentioned.

And I'm sure I can think of a few others if I sat here and thought about it long enough.

Hello I am new here and found your post. I agree with you that cell phone should be used while driving. I have been the fire service for almost 10 years and have seen alot of wreaks that could have been avoided because the driver was on the phone. I just started with a ambu. service and they do have a rule about cell phone use. Maybe if you get enough info about wreaks involving cell phone use and also see what your insurance company has to say about it. You could put all that info infront of the ceo maybe to get someting done.

Welcome to the boards. I'm going to chime in real quick with a note on spelling, grammar, etc. The frustrating thing about the internet is that you only have your written words to communicate with and for people to build impressions of you from. Take the extra time to review your posts before you submit and you won't run the risk of people building the wrong impression of you from it. The unfortunate lack of a "not" in your first sentence through me for a small loop this late at night.

Other than that, the idea of approaching the company's insurance company is a good one. With the increasing cost of liability insurance, having policies, procedures and training that decreases this might be an excellent way to convince reluctant services that action needs to be taken. Might be a good outside the box solution, but watch for potential problems when bypassing the chain of command. Some bosses might not like you approaching the insurance company without their say so.

- Matt

Our services policy is "no cell phones period at work" We found that our crews were calling each other during the day and sharing info about up-coming non-emergency transfers, then doing their best to get out of that area to avoid the run. We also had many close calls while driving due to phone use. Our insurance provider finally sent a memo asking us to ban them while on duty, which we did. Now, I'm realistic, and I know our people still carry them, but I always tell our staff, if I see it, I'll take care of it from my supervisory position. I do, however, believe that asking my people, who are on duty 24-36 hours at a time, to not have contact with their families as needed is asking too much. Yes, we have land based phones available for them,but they're not very private. I think a little common sense, some manners, and respect for those around you would go a long way when it comes to cell phone use. And, yes, I'm one of those that were around before cell phones, when we still were using APCOR radios like "Johnnie and Roy"!!

We are allowed to carry ( all the time) and use our personal c phones at work when we are not with a PT. We also carry company c phones to contact other units or dispatch as needed. Many of our medic's are constantly on the c phone, primarily texting while doing pt care . I disagree with that and that should be stopped, but how ya gonna do that when the company you work for allows the use of C phones will on duty. We are not provided with land lines at base and therefore , the only way to contact our family when the need arises during our shift is through our own personal c phones. Personally, I carry my c phone with me all the time when at work. I commute over 2 hrs to work and need to be able to have emergency access to my sitter and children while out in the field. Yes, my sitter can contact dispatch and dispatch will patch through to the ambulance, however, I need to have the ability to contact home at a moments notice if necessary. Our dispatchers are great, but it's not always an immediate connection. Just yesterday there was a 5 + min delay communicating with dispatch from radio, and that is a common occurrence.

The problem is not while sitting parked with no patient, though staging is a bad idea, but another topic. The problem is the danger it creates when in motion. Any distraction while driving or taking care of a patient is dangerous.

That was my point...shouldn't be used while in motion, or at any time with a patient, or on a call period. as for the argument that "we didn't have cell phones in the 80's, so we shouldn't use them.".....we didn't have seatbelts in the 50's, but we don't mind them. Cell phones are a great tool to help us keep up to date on home life. Personally, I work 40 miles from home, and may need to be contacted. Plus, working 7:30-19:30, if people leave messages, I can't exactly call them during business hours until 5 days later, if I can't call them from the cell. I am by no means glued to the phone, but I use it when parked in a parking lot. Furthermore, like most of us, I don't exactly make enough money in this field to work only one job, so I run a business on the side. The company understands that, and has no problem with conducting conversations if it does not conflict with patient care...which is my point precisely. Furthermore, the company says they reserve the right to hold you over indefinitely after the end of the shift (I've been held as much as 4 hours over because they couldn't staff enough units). In this event, it'd be nice to contact the wife and let her know that I won't be home for another 4 hrs.

No, I don't remember when SSM came about, but I've done my research, and think it's bad science. Good theory, but without about 2200 years of data, you're not going to accurately predict a call....hence we run across the city on a priority one all too often, and are NUA multiple times a day.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.