Would you leave your paramedic position for ????

CheekyEMT

Would you leave your current EMT/paramedic position to become an instructor for the gov't ???

I was contacted this morning by the EMS agency that instructs gov't and corporate agencies in ERF, AFR, FA, EFA, CPR and AED at all levels. The pay that was offered to me is $12.50/hr more to start then what I am currently being paid and all instructor cert's are at no cost to me and I would maintain all current cert's I have now.

It would mean leaving my ambulance job and going strictly to instructing......hmmm, more money and easier on the back??? Would you or wouldn't you and why?

Why not go for the money? Plus think about the fact you could actually benefit more people, because each student you teach could use what they are taught to help others. Plus I would presume that you could on days off work a shift on an ambulance just to stay sharp. Do they need another instructor? I'm from deep south Canada, Don'tcha know.

Lets see, if I was offered the opportunity presented to you, I would have to consider the pros and cons.

Pros - More money

- Educating, the ability to pass on your knowledge

- no more lifting

- No more night shifts

- more time at home with family

Cons -

I guess I would have to seriously consider it. The pros have it.

Cons - potential loss of skills. I've found this to be true in my particular situation right now. This is a HUGE deal for me right now.

Meh... it's like riding a bicycle after awhile. I had been out of medicine completely for several years before going to Iraq. Within a week, I felt like I had never left. If you've got it, you've got it. If you don't, after years of practice (which just about any ACP in Canadia has), you never will. And it is certainly a lot easier for a medic than a nurse. How many medicines does a medic have to keep up with? A couple dozen? How often do new ones come along to the field? Maybe one a year at most? No problemo.

Rocket hit upon the most important question. If you have a passion for education, then it is indeed a new brainer. If it's something you're interested in (teaching), and are keen to give it a try, then again, go for it. But if you are really passionate about field care, and the only lure of this job is the money, I don't know. How stable is it? Is this a forever job that you can retire from, or no? At thirty-eight years old, you are in less of a position to jump around, as opposed to establishing tenure somewhere for the long term. If you have over five years with some place, that's a hard thing to throw away at your age. If you're in a bad way financially right now, and that move would put you ahead, and you have a spouse with good income, then that would be worth considering. But if you're not doing bad right now, again, it might be a hard decision to walk away from retirement points somewhere.

Let us know what you do!

Financially, we don't need the extra income. My husband makes very good money and combined with my income we're very comfortable. Naturally the "lure" of more money is appealing, especially with a very new, large mortgage and young children. The extra income from this position would bump us up into a higher tax bracket though. So, by the time your taxed and all is said and done, am I going to be coming out ahead much more then I am now?

However, I do love working in the field and am very passionate about it. I would more then likely really miss it. I have been in EMS for 18yrs and have alot of seniority built up . As dust said, that in itself is alot to give up. I used to teach yrs ago ( in my early 20's) for the Cdn Red Cross but have not taught any since then and that was very basic teaching. This teaching job would be much more intense with a much broader curriculum and higher expectations and standards. A teaching position that is only offered to paramedic's with x # of yr's in EMS.

It would give me more at home time with the kids through the week, but much less time with my hubby, schedules would be completely opposite and our time together would be hit and miss. This is an opportunity that more less was just thrown into my lap, not something I went after. My commute as it stands now is 2.5hrs in rush hour traffic through Toronto , commute with this offer would be roughly the same. However, like a PP said, there would be no night shifts, just late nights and holidays off.

I'd like to say for certain that this would be a "secure" position for yrs to come, as most jobs with the gov't are. However, this may not be one of those jobs that is a guarantee long term. Would be something that would need to be discussed in depth before making a decision.

And, as mentioned by a PP, I worry about losing my skills. EMS IMO is one of those things where if you don't use the skills, you lose the skills. Going to a PT position as a medic would likely be enough to keep my skills current. But this teaching position may not allow the time for a PT position as a medic.

Tough decision. :?

I used to teach adults - motivated students who paid to take the courses and wanted to learn the material. I never worked so hard in my life. It took so much energy.

I would not do anything for the money. If you love the field work then don't leave it until you have to. (Just my opinion - I'm not you). All the best.

PS - when I have a tough decision to make, I will often flip a coin. It's not what the coin tells me to do that is valuable, it is my reaction to what the toss decides.

And, as mentioned by a PP, I worry about losing my skills. EMS IMO is one of those things where if you don't use the skills, you lose the skills. Going to a PT position as a medic would likely be enough to keep my skills current. But this teaching position may not allow the time for a PT position as a medic.

What exactly are you referring to as "skills"?

No brainer for me. I love to teach, I could always use the money, and from the experience of having blown a disc, NO MORE CONSTANT LIFTING is the best part. And, did I mention, not always having to watch over your shoulder for someone who wants to do you harm?