Suicide among EMS/Fire personnel

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is there any instance out there that suicide is the answer, and please don't bother with assisted death due to illness.

I am not interested in getting involved in this pi$$ing match, but I would like to respond to this question if I may.

I have found I could understand these preticular patients given what they and thier families would have/have been going through.

Terminal brain/lung cancer

Late stage huntingtons disease

Lou Gehrig's disease

End stage heart failure

I used to have the mindset of suicide being selfish untill I did a recent call.

72 y/o male diagnosed with brain cancer, inoperable. Started experiencing memory loss, pain, and loss of co-ordination.

He wrote a letter telling his family he loved them, and did not want to put them through the slow death.

He called 911 c/o a headache, went out to his front lawn and shot himself.

I thought to myself.... I probably would have done the same... I am gonna die soon anyway, why not make it painless for me, and quick for my family?

• 2 weeks later...

I realize that the OP was asking for personal experience, but instead I would like to recommend a book. I think that the OP may have read this book, but to others interested in truly understanding this complex subject (especially to letmesleep), I suggest reading "Suicide" by the sociologist Emile Durkheim; it is kind of an old book, but it may shed some light on the subject for those unfamiliar.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.