Would you ALS or BLS this patient and why?

In-house FDNY slang shows FAST as Firefighter Assistance & Safety Team. One (Ladder) Truck company is stationed as such on arrival at an "all hands" or larger fire, as a standby rescue team for any other fire fighters who might "go down" during fire fighting operations thereat.

In the ED, FAST refers to "Focused Assesment with Sonography for Trauma."

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps I am playing with semantics, or using different titles for similar employment in countries other than my own, but where I come from, the Paramedics ARE the ALS side of the EMS world. Me and the other EMTs are the BLS.

just a differnet name for the same thing. Even so, our BLS paramedics came out with a diploma after a 3 year on the road training program, though this hasn't been done for about ten years. Our service currently trains 2 levels of primary provider (so thats doesn't include first responders ec etc ALS Paramedics which i guess would bea failrly advanced EMTI with a bachelors and a 2 year on-road studentship, and Intensive Care Paramedics, who have the ALS stuff plus a post graduate diploma and another 12 months of studentship on-road

I don't know folks, you have a patient who is stable, BLS on scene and no ALS on scene and a stab to the chest/back. The patient needs a trauma center, and he may need surgery. The Canadians on this form have it right, start to transport and if you can rendezvous with Als but do not delay transport. The most that ALS will do is IV/ decompress even still, accellerator therapy remains treatment of choice.

I would BLS if no ALS on scene....and I certainly wouldn't take my direction from a nurse on the other end of a phone, your job is to make deciscions and be a patient advocate....he needs the trauma unit and surgery.

Jake

could be ultrasound shit i don't know they said was ct o well . glade ya'all gota kick outa my typos u try typing and chasing with 3 kids at same time

You try hitting that spell check button on the bottom of the post reply page :roll:

How about you show some maturity and speak like an adult.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.