Would you ALS or BLS this patient and why?

spenac said

Or better yet just squirt some bactracin in the wound and tape it with duct tape. Tell the pt to watch it if it turns green or falls of in less than 5 days he can go to the urgent care. If it doesn't fall off within 8 days he needs to bathe more. :shock:

What do you think ? If your gonna screw up go for it and REALLY do it right! :o

I like your way of thinking. :wink:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, i beg to differ. Penetrating trauma to the torso should be a load and go. If you only have a BLS unit on the scene, they should load and go. If you have an ALS and a BLS ambulance to choose from and they are both equadistance from the call, then call ALS. But to sit on the scene 8-10 minutes waiting on an ALS unit when a BLS unit is on scene is negligent at best (the ALS unit can always intercept on the way to the trauma center).

Again, i beg to differ. Penetrating trauma to the torso should be a load and go. If you only have a BLS unit on the scene, they should load and go. If you have an ALS and a BLS ambulance to choose from and they are both equadistance from the call, then call ALS. But to sit on the scene 8-10 minutes waiting on an ALS unit when a BLS unit is on scene is negligent at best (the ALS unit can always intercept on the way to the trauma center).

Since when do you wait on scene for ALS??

I guess i can clarify that -- in this scenario there was a transport unit on scene that opted to let the pt wait on a BLS unit. In rural communities it is common to have BLS ambulances that may arrive on the scene first and then decide if ALS should be called in. My point is that the first ambulance on scene should have transported this patient, regardless of level (ALS OR BLS)

I guess it all dedpends on your location from your receveing trama center and amount of blood lost. I'm on a bls ambulance we woulda just taken it but were only 9 miles from our receveing hospital. Besides our nearst als is 30 miles away we can be to hospital and back by the time they evern get there. And when all else fails call in your bird to take it. of cource a deal like that our birds are auto launced anyways.

I hear yea. I've only worked rural and the nearest hospitals were never closer than 45+mins away so we either called for air back up or meet up with ALS along the way. If you are that close to a hospital I can't see it making much sense to call for ALS transport.

I hear yea. I've only worked rural and the nearest hospitals were never closer than 45+mins away so we either called for air back up or meet up with ALS along the way. If you are that close to a hospital I can't see it making much sense to call for ALS transport.

With the exception of a few BLS guys grandfathered in when ALS became the standard here, your almost certainly going to get an ALS paramedic anyway. In fact, this patient is time critical for us based solely on the injury.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.