Have medic card, will travel

Odorono

Hey Odorono,

Mateo gave you great info about MEDIC in Charlotte, they are the only Transport agency in Mecklenburg County with the exception of Mint Hill. So they are very busy. I am with North Mecklenburg Rescue Squad, we are contracted by MEDIC as a first responder/BLS and one of the busiest certified heavy rescue squads in NC. MEDIC has a MEDIC/BASIC truck posted at our station 24/7.

Where in upstate NY are you located? I grew up in the Elmira area. I moved to the Charlotte area in the late 70s.

This is a great area to live and work in, and being one of the fastest growing areas in the country, we would love to have more qualified and talented Medics.

Check out our web site at northmeckrescue.org

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the prompt replies from everybody. I've PMed most of you and found it helpful, although I would love to hear more from anyone about the Denver area, especially Pridemark or Denver Health, as well as any other places nationwide which might fit with the OP. Man are you NC people enthusiastic though!

Depending on the service, Albuquerque can have some real nice knife and gun club calls. Need to speak a little bit of Spanglish to really survive that experience however. Last time I herd, the fire department still has a shake and bake zero to hero course, so you know well what kind of medics may be hitting the streets. You have a level I knife and gun club at UNM, cardiac subspecialty at Heart, general medical and internal medicine services and Presbyterian, a womans hospital, and pediatric services at UNM. So, you have a fair amount of subspecialty resource hospitals within Albuquerque proper. In addition, you may be able to network with military bubbas at Kirkland AFB.

The life style of Albuquerque is not bad and you have many outdoor options available as the Sandias are a few minutes to the east of Albuquerque. In addition, you have ski/snowboarding north of Albuquerque. Santa Fe and Taos both have ski resorts and the outdoor life experience is readily available in northern New Mexico. You can consider living in Santa Fe if you want to live like a starving artist among left wing nut jobs. :D

Take care,

chbare.

Odorono,

I can give you a bit of information.

Medic911 out of Charlotte

Wake County EMS

There is so much to be learned at Wake County EMS. They started Induced Hypothermia in the field, Stemi Alerts, 12 Lead EKG's, call codes on scene, Trauma/Stemi/Stroke alerts, and CPAP. They will soon be starting an Advanced Practice Paramedic. These medic will be responsible for advanced EMS practice, such as at home treatment, refusal of transport, alternate transportation modes, RSI, Induced Hypothermia, treatment for complicated cases to be left at home. These will be QRV medics who will run on the major calls and the minor calls as well as wellness checks.

The medical director is top notch. He is very dedicated to the EMS system and the performance of the system. He has a lot of respect. He is a full time EMS medical director. '

The shift work is changing. They have started moving trucks to 12 hour shifts, and people are starting to realize that 12 hour shifts are nice. They way things are going though, they are going to have to start supplementing their staff with basics or intermediates. They are trying to get people, and good people, with their growing system.

Their CEU's are in house, and they have a good program going on. They are not just for EMS education but they push for you to know the continuum of care. They do research and continually update employees on the progress they make in the field.

If you have anymore questions about these systems just ask !

If Wake is starting a true Advanced Practice Paramedic...I'll move, hell, I'd probably take a pay cut. So long as it stays true to the concept of high educational standards, increased capabilities, and a focus on more primary care practice. I want to hear more...

I was under the impression Wake county was considering removing intubation from their protocols in favor of the king airway, was I mistaken? In any event, I hope I was, I like the sound of the system, and if I could get used to vinegar based barbeque and convince the boss, maybe someday..... :D

I was under the impression Wake county was considering removing intubation from their protocols in favor of the king airway, was I mistaken? In any event, I hope I was, I like the sound of the system, and if I could get used to vinegar based barbeque and convince the boss, maybe someday..... :D

I heard that they were pushing to use the King primarily, but as of the last updat I have, they are still intubating. It is my understanding that the choice is up to the medic if they want to intubate or use the King. Personally, I think they will place intubation in the hands of the APP's when they get them going.

You can. It may take some time [s:6cb5623dea]however[/s:6cb5623dea] Bubba. Don't [s:6cb5623dea]forget[/s:6cb5623dea] furget the sweet tea and hush [s:6cb5623dea]puppies[/s:6cb5623dea] puppy's, 'nana [s:6cb5623dea]puddin[/s:6cb5623dea] puddinz for desert.

[align=center:6cb5623dea]:wink: [/align:6cb5623dea]

You know too much ! :lol:

...and if I could get used to vinegar based barbeque and convince the boss, maybe someday..... :D

You'll have to get used to Grits too !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.