"Non-Professional Rescuer" First Aid Book?

Richard B the EMT

Can anyone recommend a First Aid book, or a course type for the manager of a local diner? She, and her staff, kind of freaked when a customer had what was described to me as a "Grand Mal" seizure, and, aside from calling 9-1-1, no one on staff knew what to do.

I am aware they have F/A classes for baby sitters, but have no clue if there is anything for waiters,waitresses, and kitchen staff, "in case of" any incident(s) at the restaurant.

Oh, by New York State law, a poster of how to do the Heimlich Maneuver has to be in public view in restaurants or "fast food" joints, and a "CPR Kit" ("pocket mask" and surgical gloves) must be near the register.

For those outside the United States, I use the terminology "Non-Professional" here, simply to indicate that the personnel using the information don't work or volunteer as part of an EMS system, such as my friend the diner manager.

I know this isn’t much help but in Australia we have a workplace level 2 first aid course which is required for most workplaces, quiet a few people will do this course.

Covers basic stuff like:

-Calling for help and providing the right information.

-Approaching an incident, dangers ect.

-Burns

-Bleeding

-Fractures

-Shock

-Medical Emergencies (AMI, asthma, diabetes ect)

-Unresponsive patients

-Moving patients in emergency situations

-Chocking

-SAED

-CPR

-Soft Tissue Injuries

-Infection Control

-Legal aspects

Duration is 2 days, total of 12 hours, mix of practical (mostly), theory (powerpoint) and written (workbook). The first aid side is valid for 2 years and CPR is valid for 12 months.

It’s not at all clinical, the aim is to provide the general public with a common sense approach to an emergency. Take for instance, someone having a hypoglycemic episode their taught to recognize a few symptoms, call for helping and give a glass of lemonade. Or recognize that someone has no signs of life, set up the SAED and follow the prompts. Wrap the newspaper around someone fractured arm with slings ect.

Any up to date first aid book from the red cross or similar should suffice.

What about the Red crosses first aid class or an AHA first aid class both are good but really they should be taught CPR also just in case.

At least the managerial staff of a business should be trained with American Red Cross, Standard First Aid and Adult CPR with Bloodborne Pathogens. I had assumed for a long time that all businesses had to have an OSHA approved first aid/CPR kit. However, after this long in EMS, I've come to realize that most have none at all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.