The Pre-Employment Lift Test...

Eydawn

One of my tests for EMS (May of 1985) was to run up 2 flights of stairs, as in 2 storys up, grab a 175 pound "Heavy Harry" mannikin, and bring it back downstairs, solo, in under a set time limit.

Someone who tested with me supposedly "set a course record" in the time he completed this.

Oh, then we had to take "Harry" back upstairs for the next dude or dudette. At least returning the mannikin was not timed.

excellent wendy!!! the only test i did was the stair chair test i was on the bottom ( which of course is easier) and partner on the top with a pt ( 200 lbs) up 13 steps.

I always end up at the top of the stair chair, but I find it easier that way. Beats the heck out of usually needing to slouch some for the first couple of steps, or an inadvertant foot to the groin. :D

Back to the OP: Congrats Wendy!!!

Grats on passing your lift test. when i first started i went to one county where i lived, and failed their lift test and it was a box full of weights also, and i was not even told i was walking into a weigh test!, but i went to the county next door who gave me a job with out question. i have Never had problems lifting my pts or stretcher. i think how the lift test if rigged it can work with or against someone. plus being short does not help. lol. Grats again keep up the good work and welcome to EMS.

• 1 year later...

I passed it. But here's what I have to say to that nasty box full of weights... curse you box, curse you!

60 pounds to a 39 inch shelf. 67 pounds to the 39 inch shelf, then to the "shoulder height" shelf (which was almost above my head). 75 pounds to the 39 inch shelf. 90 pounds to the 39 inch shelf. 115 pounds to the 39 inch shelf. 125 pounds to the shelf, then waddle back and forth in the office for 3 trips.

Since when do patients come in box form? And if anyone posts a picture of spongebob, I will be forced to kill you... wink.gif

Man, that was a bastard of a test. I hated it. But I passed it so it looks like I'm golden, as long as I pass the IV class, to start working real prehospital EMS.

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

--Wendy

Congrats, Wendy! And let me tell you, I LOVE your sense of humor.....that in itself will carry you through a lot. Again, congratulations!

On a folding ferno stretcher... We had to carry a 200lb man from a second floor room, down the stairs, out and down more stairs. Then with out setting it down, walk up and into the ambulance and place it on the bench seat, fold down the wheels and posts and secure it. That was the same test they did for decades. We use Rescue Randy now, just in case someone drops the litter, he weighs 165lbs.

Edited by 4c6
  • Like 1

Holy thread resurrection... lol. ;-)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Since the thread has already been resurrected, I figured I'd take a stab at it.

I've recently been hired by a company and had to do a lift test. (Actually i start tomorrow! yay!) I had to lift the 2 different kinds of stretchers they have, with a 275 lb dummy on it. I had to lift it up and down, alternating ends, with a partner of course, and get it in and out of the ambulance by myself, with help with the wheels. After being out of EMS for over a year, and 2 shoulder surgeries later, I was really nervous, but I did it!

The good test is a modified CPAT. In this order pass/fail from start to end.

Wearing a 40lb weight vest on stair stepper 50 steps per minute for 30 seconds increasing to 60 steps per min for 2 minutes.

Remove vest then 2 minutes of one person CPR

20 seconds of sitting on floor holding toes (sit reach) for 20 seconds)

15 push-ups in one minute

15 sit-ups in one minute

Lift 100lb bardell walk 50 paces forward then 50 paces backwards

Add 50 lbs now 150lbs dead lift to navel

Then swim one lap down and back in pool and tread water for 2 minutes (no time on swim must have forward motion during entire swim)

Then with a second employee

We also work with a 165lb dummy on cot for lifting, moving (using slipp device), fitzy lift (manual carry), canvass and poles carry with dummy

Then dummy in stair chair going down stairs using the "tracks" rugged or ferno stair chair

Then carry dummy up the stairs with manual carry.

It works well to weed out some people.

I know the swimming issue doesn't really relate to EMS as well as not all of the tests but if you live or respond to shore lines and have an EMS response boat etc... it is usefull to know that atleast an employee can swim the basics and tread water to hopefully save themselves.