Personal equipment/your "uniform"

d2600

On our vol. BLS crew, you get a t-shirt. We have NO ONE on call at our station. We are paged out and whoever can go shows up at the station. @ 3 a.m. your lucky if anyone has a piece of gum to kill some of that bad breath..... let alone a uniform. A pair of pants and a t-shirt will work just fine!!

Same station as me? :lol:

I work with Rural/Metro up here in Western New York and the uniforms issued here are great. They are dark blue EMS pants, with a neon yellow and silver band across the pocket flap. The shirts are button down, stain resistant, dark blue with army type name type depicting your level of care on one side, and your last name on the other. Also on one shoulder your NYS level of care patch is present, and the other is the Rural/Metro patch. Very professional uniforms. Unfortunately the quality of the ambulances and equipment negates the good uniforms. We also get winter jackets that look the same as the tops, also a fleece type liner for the jacket tha tyou can wear seperately with the RM logos on it. You can order fleeces as well with your name and level of service with all the patches on it as well. Very good, professional uniforms

Because the fire service here in New Zealand is a national service, there is a national regulation of uniform. You get issued basically (regardless of volunteer or paid)

1 Turn out coat / 1 pair of turn out pants (Both are lion apparell and the Fire Service has them on a rotational hire service that they get sent to Lion to be repaired and cleaned and a replacement pair sent in their place)

1 pair of level one overalls

1 pair of gumboots for the turn out level 2s

1 pair of level one boots *current brand is paraflex*

One Helmet which again is issued on a rotational repair service *I forgot to mention this prior hence the edit*

1 Level one shirt (Dark Blue with Fire rescue patch on shoulders)

1 Level one pair of pants (Dark Blue again)

2 tee shirts with fire and rescue crest on the left breast

Some areas issue personal Hi Viz vests however there are at least three to four on each truck.

One to two Dress uniform shirts

Dress uniform pants

Shoes

Dress uniform jacket

Hat

Tie

And for the ladies, an option of a skirt for dress uniform so they wish

Most trucks will carry a level three splash suit and the urban trucks often carry a level four and five hazchem suit on their appliances.

You get paged, turn up to the station, get into your gear and respond on the truck, no responding straight to the scene in POV's.

EMS -

2-4 White uniform shirts

2-4 Pairs of Black pants (However the services are looking at going to two piece overall material pants and shirts)

Hi Viz Jerkin *Vest*

Jersey

Lined Fleece jacket with detachable sleeves

Rain jacket

Belt

Some areas and individual stations, issue a holster with shears and a penlight.

Procedures manual.

Boots you need to provide yourself and any other gear. Some rural areas issue members with personal kits especially if they do first response or PRIME response.

You can put together your own kit if you so wish. :)

Scotty

I got issued a radio.

I usually go to calls wearing my coat which I carry some gloves in my size and sometimes a Benchmade Rescue Hook

I also carry a personally stocked STOMP-II in my car

The director of my Ambulance Service gave us a helluva deal on the class I thought ($300) so I can't complain, although I would really like to get a shirt out of him so I could wear it on my calls at night, I have also thought about getting a coat and getting my name embroidered on it so I could put my EMT patches on something. Really in the rural setting, its hard to have a set uniform for EMS.

Really in the rural setting, its hard to have a set uniform for EMS.

Are you serious? Do you have a little league in town? Popcorn basketball? Where do they get their shirts from? Come on....

Three Screen Printed T-Shirts: $30

Two Pair Galls BDU's: $60

One Pair Galls Boots: $50

Thats for a grand total of $140 dollars.

Presenting a professional image isn't worth $140 every year or two?

RedneckEMS.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well...where I am....we're all strictly volunteer. There's a lady here in town who will make a shirt for you, if you pay her. But if you don't...you just go in your regular clothes. We all have pagers...so, whoever shows up first usually goes. Although....those who have been there longer, have more seniority based on the call, and type of care needed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.