Personal equipment/your "uniform"

d2600

The FD I work on provides 3 t-shirts, 1 job shirt, 1 dress shirt, winter jacket, badge, pants (if you want) and if you're fire, bunker gear and helmet. I wear EMS pants for squad runs and at my full-time job and wear regular uniform pants when running fire. When I wear my EMS pants, I carry my pocket protocol book and 1 small pad of paper in one side pocket and my hospital ID (my company has the contract) in my other. I don't carry 14 pairs of scissors, hemostats, flashlight, and a bunch of other crap. I've come to realize that I really don't need all that stuff. It's handy enough in the bus if I need it.

Doc

• Like 1

wow.... i feel kind of bad now at all that crap i got from my job....

i got 5 pairs of pants, 5 button up work shirts, 5 polo shirts, belts, hats and ties (dress unifrom stuff), 1 pair of dress paints, a dress jacket, 2 dress shirts, boots, shoes (again for dress), eisenhower jacket, turnout coat, helmet, gas mask with tactical thigh case, and a tech bag fully equiped. theres more but i cant think....

I was with a very small rural ambulance company at one point. We were given t-shirts and that was it. Most wore jeans but I liked medic pants because of the pockets. I looked different but I wore what I felt I needed to do my job. I had a few pens on me, a permanent marker, pen light, small flash light, seatbelt cutter, window punch, trauma shears, tape and gloves. Sounds like alot but it fit well in the cargo pockets and I didn't look like I had a bunch of equipment hanging off me.

If your dept doesn't offer shirts, I would get a nice dark blue or ash polo shirt and some medic pants and boots. For coats, I would recommend a coat with reflective tape on it. As long as you are comfortable and look professional, in spite of not having a certain uniform, you will be looked at upon more favorably than someone who shows up to calls in their jammies.

My personal uniform is pretty resistant to most body fluids, needle sticks, and accidental defibrillation discharges. The "scotchlite" reflective material is handy as well as the tool belt, with all life saving tools. The pocket size MRI & CT scan with U/S capability, has been handy since my X-ray vision has been limited lately. The only problem is the cape... :wink:

R/R 911

I run with a volunteer company. When you first start riding you get a jumpsuit. Not bad, lots of packets and reflective material. Made from a fluid resistant material. When you become a full member you get a duty shirt, which is a blue t-shirt with reflective material on it. On the front is our company shield and the back has the initials for our station and "fire-ems" below. Once you have been there a while and proved you are going to stick around you get a two piece set of gear. Pant and a jacket, similar to turnout gear in style. Still blue with lots of reflective material.

Wow..I really feel like a hick now :) responding to calls i wear t-shirt and jeans of course the towns we respond to our four hundred people and less and we don't transport...Yet. I am on a volunteer department and when you join you might get the department t-shirt, which is blue with the maltese cross on the front and our department name on the back, on our rescue squad we order shirts every year I think we have three... As far as equipment we easily have the nicest equipment in the county we have a box unit ambulance that is very nice, and our chief tries to keep up us updated with equipment and grants, and if you are a firefighter as well the fire department provides bunker gear.

I feel so unprofessional now. Most times I'm just wearing sweatpants and somekind of fire/ems related shirt or sweater and a hat (stocking for winter, baseball for summer). I do keep a jump bag of my own in my POV, but it wasn't provided. In my department, about the only thing we get from the company is the class B uniform, and sometimes issued a jumpsuit and/or turnout gear. I use the jumpsuit mostly in the summer because I'm usually wearing shorts. Turnout gear for when I'm on the fire truck or MVAs.

As far as t shirts and anything else goes, we have to pay for them. Although, I have been thinking about getting some kind of EMS jacket that can be worn in all seasons, any ideas there would be helpful! :)

• 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.