Personal equipment/your "uniform"

d2600

Here is what we have

we get it all supplied (as well as some other stuff) and it gets replaced on condemnation

I normally get a new lot each 6 months

3 x pants

4 - 6 x shirts

1 pair boots

t shirts etc....

http://intranet/asintranet/_Documents/News/New+Ambulance+uniform.pdf

http://intranet/asintranet/_Documents/News/New+Ambulance+uniform+accessories.pdf

• 6 months later...

My volunteer squad in a suburban area with about 4,000 calls per year only supplies us with a cotton polo shirt and 1/4 zip job shirt. If you're lucky, they'll give you a crappy winter coat. We have to buy our own pants and boots.

• 2 months later...

I'm fortunate enough to work in a small rural 911department that caters to about 30,500 in a 150 square mile area. We have state of the art units, equipment, and our uniforms are just the same as most larger agencies. (navy polo, with navy tech pants) I've found that because we are a smaller agency, we make our own money and there for we have nicer equipment, and take better care of it.

I was just issued my own ambulance, my own sprint car and my own helicopter each with driver.

I have my own supply truck that dutifully drives behind me in order to keep me resupplied in whatever I use whenever I use it.

If I need an MRI or US or CT I have the convenient use of any number of local or rural hospitals of choice that I can get to very very easily either by air or ground.

It's AWESOME>

• Like 1

I previously posted what the FDNY assigns as uniform to the EMTs and Paramedics. One more item, undergoing review, as the previous manufacturer went out of business, and a new supplier not yet secured (per what I've read), is "soft body armour", as in the so-called "bullet proof vest". At personal expense ($90.00, last I checked), an "over the uniform" "carrier" for the ballistic plates is available, if desired.

Ain't NO vest be totally bulletproof, or stab proof. If hit by a bullet, the kinetic energy will still hurt you, possibly break bones, knock you down. Nobody here is from the destroyed planet Krypton, so don't use the vest to play being Superman, you'll get hurt or killed, and possibly cause similar to those who are following you to rescue YOU.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We get nothing. Unless you count grief. We're all volunteer and evidently we don't rate uniforms. I've bought a couple of embroidered t-shirts, a polo, a 3 season jacket and a class B uniform. I get tired of the city/paid departments making fun of us and not taking us seriously when we show up in whatever we had on. The first time I wore my class B, the ED staff and other services were falling over themselves to be nice to me and help with whatever was needed. The day before, in shorts & t-shirt from mowing the yard, they wouldn't give me the time of day.

Even if your squad doesn't provide you uniforms, get one. As I learned when I was a cop, if you want people to take you seriously- dress for respect.

• 2 weeks later...

We have an issued polo and a lightweight jacket.Also a NIMS tag that serves as our ID. Anything else we have to provide. I have two other navy shirts with my call number on them that I wear. If I'm on a standby, I wear my EMS pants and my polo or tshirt with my boots. If I'm on call (from home) I wear black pants, tennis shoes and the tshirt or polo. If I'm going on a call that requires extrication, I'll put on the EMS pants and grab my boots to put on on the way to the scene. I bought my own stethescope, and shears. Anything else is in our jump bag on board. According to new state rules, (KS), unless I'm on call or duty, I can not do anything but basic first aid/ CPR measures.

I hate pockets. I would never wear the typical EMS pants, I'd rather side with LEO uniform pants. Everyone shows off their shears, and super uber tactical knife.... till some nut job grabs hold of them and cuts your wind pipe. Go pink shears!

Oh wait, that's the blood rhythmically spraying from my neck, onto my custom-will-cut-anything yellow shears. Damn.

• 3 weeks later...

My service gives ya two pairs of pants and about three shirts a year. After you are around for a while, they supply us with a two layer coat with our names on them. Any equipment we use is paid for and supplied to us...but we don't respond directly to the scene, we have the trusty ol' ambulance to get to the scene in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.