Reimbursement?

d2600

Some friends of mine joined fire depts a few months ago. For being teenagers like me there pretty serious and dedicated about it already. One of them never seems to let his gear out of his sigh almost lol.

While this wont even be a real concern of mine for months or years, they got me wondering about if a EMT carries their own kit for accidents the run into or beat the ambulance too.

I'm sure after awhile the supplies(since not everything is reusable like a fireman) prices slowly start to add up. While it probably wont be too bad (considering) I'm kinda curious if you do get reimbursed.

I'm in a fairly rural place so this could come in handy(i think), feel free to comment on caring gear though...

Not sure if it helps but I'm in NY.

Thanks

No, I don't get reimbursed. Sometimes though I have had ambulance crews (mainly people I am friends with), let me restock from the ambulance (seeing as I am taking what they would have used on the patient anyhow :P ) but this is the exception rather than the rule.

You just learn to eat the cost of the supplies for the most part if you choose to carry your own kit.

Well, you can always get in good with the local ambulance crews to replace what you used on scene. but here, with the local and state funding our vol. departments get, there is money in the budget for medical supplies, but only the basics gauze, bandages, wraps, ice packs, things like that.

In my neck of the woods the squad provides all supplies for jump kits. The things that are used the most (cling, 4x4s, O2 masks, etc.) are in a supply/decon room for the EMTs. Things that are not used very often (instant glucose, BVMs) are in a locked room which they would have to contact an officer.

My company supplies to the e local "vollies" for their rig or squad... it is frowned upon to give supplies to individuals. We also, do not encourage private "medics" at the scene, unless they are associated with some agency.

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

The service I work for will help replace the suplies you may use onscene. Seeing we get to bill for what was used we dont see a major problem with it. Most of the time its ice packs and some 4x4's. Plus these people are either on our dept or the FD, which we also help supply when needed.

Our agency (in NY) provides BLS supplies for its members to stock and maintain a jump kit. We do not as a rule provide supplies to people on the street who are not members of our agency, but we do restock the first response agencies who work with us when they are on scene with us.

• 4 months later...

As someone who carries their "company" kit when off duty, I ask the crews I assist if they can give me back fresh stock of what I used, using the "you would have used that yourself had you treated them" argument. Even when they don't know me personally, most give me the stuff.

Otherwise, I restock when next I get to my station, and into the supply lockers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.