How will DUI affect my chances of becoming a paramedic (CA)

Converse1762

I generally choose not to post in here so your cute little comment about 'status posts' really doesn't matter at all. Hey if we're letting in drunk drivers, why not serial killers and rapists?

Everyone has challenges and has made stupid mistakes, it's human nature. My mistakes I can assure you have not included driving drunk. So it brings me to comment on your comment about me being arrogant and insulting and having a big ego ... I've cleaned up after people like this guy and despite all the public education and information that's out there, people like him continue to make these stupid mistakes. I'm sure your tune would be different let's say if he had been pulled over in YOUR neighborhood while your kids were outside playing.

So hey, if that's the kind of person you'd want for a partner that's your problem, not mine. Fortunately for myself and my family and where I work, people are screened prior to entry level, education or employment- wise. So call me judgemental all day long if you so choose, I really could care less :D I'll just sit back and wait for all those posts now, telling me what a bad person I am for not forgiving Mr. DUI simply because he completed mandated court requirements. People are always calling for tougher penalties on crap like this ... until it's someone they know.

I read your post and all I can think about is someone who lives in a glass house and throws stones through the window.

When someone makes a mistake that doesn't cost someone their life and they are fairly young in their life, because even at age 29 we are not all as mature as you were, they tend to have life altering events.

Maybe for the person wanting to become a medic was changed by their decission to drive intoxicated that night or day, and they were woken up to all of the things that they could have done with their life. Maybe seeing the videos that they put on in those driving and alcohol classes really made them think about their purpose here on Earth.

It cracks me up to read people who are so judgemental on others and yet this person was brave enough to field a question about what they are facing going into this. They are obviously being open and honest which is more than I can say for some people who work in Emergency Services ( all services included in this).

If you truly love your job as an EMT, Medic, Fire Fighter, whatever then you will assist this person as so many people have already done with the information that they might or might not be looking for. Why do you feel the need to treat them poorly when others have already done that, and they have paid their debt to society?

That is what I see as being wrong with the EMS profession, so many people are so proud of what they do that they put themselves on a pedestal and crack on those who are interested. Sure maybe this person won't get the information they want but at least help them find the resources they might want to get the information.

That is what I see as being wrong with the EMS profession, so many people are so proud of what they do that they put themselves on a pedestal and crack on those who are interested. Sure maybe this person won't get the information they want but at least help them find the resources they might want to get the information.

In your zeal to get involved in yet another argument here, did you somehow overlook reading the original four replies to the man's question? He got every bit of information he needed within a couple of hours. If he wants to also read the prevailing attitudes of those he may someday be working with, he now can. If he doesn't, that's cool too. He doesn't have to in order to get the info he needs.

And learn to edit out the quotes in your replies, as required by the forum rules here, which I am sure you also never bothered to read.

Perhaps he wanted to respond to that particular series of statements. When I hit "reply" it doesn't auto-quote, so I'm not sure what you're referencing...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• 3 years later...

I just want to say to Echo, you sir are an arrogant and I'll informed prick. How dare you pass judgment on this guy for making a mistake? I made a similar jackass mistake when I was younger, but I worked my ass off and overcame. I'm now a full time medic / FF and just passed the NCLEX. I hung in there, kept my nose clean, and someone at a local company gave me a break, that was the start I needed. if I let some piss ant pretentious punk like you tell me the score I'd be nowhere, follow your dreams and good things will happen.

I don't believe that many of us in the profession have a conviction on our records.

VentMedic you are actually wrong. Just because it may not be the case in your area, there are a surprisingly high number of EMS professionals that have a DUI conviction on their record, I am fortunate not to have on mine. I look at this way, he has paid the price served his time. Yes, he got lucky and did not hurt or kill someone and he got caught. It was stupid, yes, but the man is trying to make better of himself. He faces many challenges to get into this field with that on his record, as it is. He does not need to be belittled and given a bleak outlook.

I am all for you do the crime, now do the time. Now he has done the time, paid his fine, and is now trying to make good of his mistake.

Most states require at least five years before you can hold a professional license. Employers have a little less control over this, since insurance companies will have a hard time insuring those with a DUI conviction. The best thing to do is talk with different EMS services and get their imput. I feel this is the best way to get an idea of the challenges you now have to face.

MongoMedic

• 2 weeks later...

this post is pretty old and it doesnt look like anyone has answered the poor guy. I dont know the answer, but have had friends ask me the same question.

Is there anyone here that would like to answer this question rather than making judgment calls.

most men have lied in their life at some point, a large amount might have stolen something as a child even if it was just once, cheated or copied an answer on a test or homework, most have drank alcohol before turning 21 or tried marijuana, most have been in at least one physical fight in their life.....

so if you say that you wouldnt want an EMS employee that has a DUI in their past then what about all the lieing, stealing, cheating, underage drinking, drug using, fighting firemen and EMTs that are in every city of the world??? maybe you should move to the moon!