Do you travel with a spare gas can? If so...

Michael

Will a closed 2-gallon container of gasoline send fumes into the cab of my car? It would be nice to drive with a back-up, and the container's reputedly rated safe, but there's no enclosed trunk space and I don't want a stinky cab. Thanks if you know.

My dad drove around with a one gallon fuel container under his bench seat in an extended cab Chevrolet.

He always would make sure it wouldn't leak and never filled it all the way to the top allowing room for expansion. He also added "Stabil" to prolong the life of the fuel in the container. As long as I can remember my dad always had that same ole gas can under the bench seat. To this day he still carries an extra gas can in his truck.

To my knowledge it never leaked, but guessing by the cheap junk made overseas these days they all probably leak.

I assume no responsibilty in the application of these techniques and are only suggested as past experiences. Use at your own risk.

Batteries not included.

Objects in mirror closer than they appear.

Not responsible for accidents.

What else is there. LMAO

The way my old pickup is, it's almost a necessity to carry a gas can. Can't trust the gauge. But only in the back. I wouldn't put a gas can in the cab or in the passenger area of car for any reason. Unless it's like taking gas to someone who had run out of gas or something and it's not left in the car for an extended period of time. I don't think they make a fuel can that doesn't let out some amount of fumes. They have to be vented some way to "breath" or they could possibly rupture.

So my advice to you, don't have a gas can in your car.

Thank you all for your responses. I think you've talked me out of it, unless someone can point me to a fume-tight container. Of course, I could always get it and fill it with water (why? to keep the fumes out of the car, of course!), or keep it empty, problem solved. 8)

Here in New York State, some fire commissioner's office, not that of the FDNY, has to type approve fuel transport cans.

I kind of like the style of the classic military "Jerry" can, which fits into it's own bumper mounted carrier, usually on older style Jeeps.

Most gas stations I have been to, tell you not to fill the can unless the can is on the ground, not in the bed of a pickup, something to do with a static electrical spark setting the fumes off. The nozzle actually is supposed to be physically touching the can!

If memory serves me correctly, the explosive potential of one gallon of gas is the same as a stick of dynamite. With prices of fuel as high as they are, is a stick of dynamite less cost? Never mind.

Michael? Is there any way you can mount the can with a locking device of some sort (with a key to prevent theft) on the exterior of your vehicle?

Wendy

CO EMT-B