You might be in the NYC*EMS System if........

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

"You might be in the NYC*EMS System if..."

You ever had to hike from the bottom parking lot out by the water up to the Academy Bld when at Ft. Totten.

Leaving Ft. Totten, your vehicle was mysteriously drawn to the Crazy Moose Saloon

You attended MODAT training at the end of a lousy shift.

Trash can parties

You would sign out a portable from the nearest Pct.

Kevin Sinclarie's (spelling?) bar out in Red Hook

You recall dispatchers stating the mixer would be turned off when we got out of hand on the radio

I'm out a little over 7 yrs. (Switched over to the RED MENACE here in Jersey) Some of these were mine, some belonged to great partners who had forgotten more about EMS than I could ever hope to learn. Hope this post could make a few readers smile.

A. Friend

16C2

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You remember a Dispatcher named Jimmy G. #823 you used to say.... " 10 Adam for the shootin, 10 Adam "... And when you jumped on the mike ..

"Yeah, I dont have a shooting right now, handle this sick job......

When there were no "Battalion" based stations and:

Gouve. was Sta 11

Belleveue 13

Met. 15

Harlem 18

Lincoln 21,

Boston road or Webster Ave Outpost 22

Jacobi 23

Coney 31

KCH 33

Lincoln 34

Cumberland 36

WoodHELL 37

Rockaway 41

QGH 45

Elhurst 46

SI had 52 ...

Ambulances were white and orange, uniforms were Green and white,

Manhatan only had ONLY one radio freq.

So did the Bronx and Queens..

Manhattan Disp had to switch the repeaters to here uptown vs. downtown units ....

ACR's were completed for EVERY CALL. even 10-90's and 10-87'...

THERE were no KDTS and the disp would read the job to you twice.... MDT's would give tones over the boro freq.

THERE WERE NO PATROL Supervisors ..... I could go on and on about the GOOD OLD days before FDNY took oever and RUINED THAT Dept. city, etc. ....

As a former employee i can say without reservatin, if yo want one reason to not go with aFire based model, just look at FDNY.

14 + years of broken promises to ..

Reduce response time ....

increase station based EMS, consolidate FD and EMS,

Improve Cardiac arrest survival rate... etc.

You're a longtimer if you worked at Webster Outpost (detailed there twice, before they moved to Boston Road, and assisted on the first of only 2 OB-Labor calls I've had in 38 years of doing EMS).

You remember a Dispatcher named Jimmy G. #823 you used to say.... " 10 Adam for the shootin, 10 Adam "... And when you jumped on the mike ..

"Yeah, I dont have a shooting right now, handle this sick job......

Several dispatchers did that trick to misbehaving units. Was that Gerosi (Spelling)?

"You might be in the NYC*EMS System if..."

Leaving Ft. Totten, your vehicle was mysteriously drawn to the Crazy Moose Saloon

Many good times with the ladies there, Bayside's best!

Back in the day I would hit hit 97 then 98 right out of Jamaica to show in your area, and not get jobs out of Jamaica (it worked for anywhere, really), unless they were good, then we would buff them. I used that all the time to show at National/Roosevelt (46 Young) or Winchester/Union Tpke (53 Young). 97 would current you back in your batallion, and then you would right away hit 98 like you made a mistake by hitting 97, like you didn't know.

I miss it. I've been tossing oround the idea of going per diem back at North Shore, even though I'm down in Virginia. Just for kicks and giggles.

No one's mentioned "RMP" for a cop car.

How's dispatcher 869, "Ed" doing? GOVAC!

93 signed and witnessed, music to my ears! Even better, 93 refused all!

"My partner's using facilities."

To 46Young, FormerEMSLt297, ECC, and IrishFF277, I have some bad news. Retired Queens Dispatcher #830, Kathi D, passed away this week. Funeral and/or memorial details are not published as of the time of this posting.

Keep an eye on http://www.facebook....157631127589519 for details as they become available.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.